Itching

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Itching

Postby SharonL42 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:01 pm

Hi all,

Does anyone else suffer from unbearable itching - it happens at any time but is always worse at night? It tends to start mainly on my back/tummy but will then spread to the whole of my body. It makes it very difficult to go to sleep at night.

I try not to scratch as it causes me additional pain and I feel like I've been hit there for about 1/2 hr afterwards so this is driving me mad at the moment.

Thanks Sharon x
Keep Smiling :)
SharonL42
UKFM Member

Re: Itching

Postby Treece » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:22 pm

I itch all the time, along with the fibro I also have Urticaria Vasculitis and its been pretty much constant now for 6/8 weeks, my skin is so sore. I also swell up on the face, cheeks, lips, around the eyes... I feel so bad for you, its awful when every part of your skin itches or hurts. Hope you get some respite soon... Gentle hugs Treece
Treece
UKFM Member

Postby wendylou » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:27 pm

I have been itching for 3 years now and the doctor thinks i am crazy i am sure and he can find no reason behind it. Mine to is mainly my stomach when in bed, i am so glad someone else out there is having the same thing
wendylou
UKFM Member

Postby doctoria71 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:38 pm

Gosh yeah, predomonatley at night too. Someimes it keeps me awake more than the pain.xx
doctoria71
UKFM Member

Postby silentlybroken » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:01 pm

Me too :(
A couple of evenings ago it was so bad that my mum had to search out some cream for me to put on my legs because they were itching so much I scratched them red raw to try and stop it :(

Like you said it seems to spread or migrate, so once it starts in one place it'll move to my back, stomach, arms whatever it fancies. It's horrible and so hard to ignore as well :(

I found that E45 cream helped soothe it somewhat, but other people have suggested the typical chickenpox itching remedies to me like porridge oats in the bath and so on.
Sarah
aka SBee

silentlybroken
UKFM Member

Postby masonsbarms » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:10 pm

hi i to itch and use eurax cream for itchy skin and it helps alot wont say it gets rid of it instantly but it works for me

if you get free scrips or are prepaid try and get it from your doc as it is quite dear from the chemist.

take care xx
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Postby shazq » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:33 pm

Hi
I go through stages of itching as well, it can feel like something is crawling up my arm but there is nothing there. :crazy:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby SharonL42 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:34 pm

Thanks for your replies....it does help to know it's not just me.

I have some Eurax cream here ...My son suffers from prickly heat....never thought of using it on me though! I'll give it a try next time

Xx
SharonL42
UKFM Member

Postby Baby-Hedgehog » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:55 pm

a number of the tablets that get taken with Fibro can causing itchy skin (in my case, the codeine, in my co-codamol)- I take a hayfever tablet every day (which the doc has put on prescription) which helps a bit :-)
Baby-Hedgehog
UKFM Member

Postby scoke » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:11 pm

I get long phases of itchiness in one particular place, then it'll go away and come back later - months even - somewhere else - nipples is the worst!!
scoke
UKFM Member

Itching

Postby Ariel » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:28 pm

Hi!

My problem is my lower legs, had it for years. Sometimes I don't realise I'm itching and make myself bleed :(

X
Diagnosed 2012! Hoping to learn more and make friends in the fibro community.
Ariel
UKFM Member

Postby stephen smith » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:10 pm

Hi I itch terribly,mainly my back feet and believe it or not inside my ears drives me mad Sreve
stephen smith
UKFM Member

Postby SharonL42 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:25 pm

I get terrible itching inside my ears too Steve... It's horrible :sad:
SharonL42
UKFM Member

Postby motherconfessor » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:36 pm

I too have itching at night and keep a tub of sudocreme by my bed. Used to put on my babies bottoms to prevent nappy rash and it is wonderful soothing stuff.
motherconfessor
UKFM Member

Postby sknowles456 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:10 pm

yes as has been said, opiate based pain killers such as codeine and morphine can cause itching all over.
sknowles456
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia