MS mistaken for Fibro???

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

MS mistaken for Fibro???

Postby Mrswalker74 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:00 am

Thanks for replying folks, sorry it's took so long to get back to you all! Memory is horrific! ( And going by your posts, you all know where I'm coming from). Ive had quite a few "memory issues", but always put it down too the fibro. As with regards to mentioning things to my gp, he is utterly useless and blames even sore throats on the fibro. I am going to see a neurologist in the next few weeks, so hopefully get a few more answers. So I'm off to try and get some sleep now, feeling like my legs are on fire, so not holding up much hope ;) Thank you again to you all for your posts, it's great having so many people to speak to. X :)
Mrswalker74
UKFM Member

Re: MS mistaken for Fibro???

Postby Laura786 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:32 am

Hi - Im new here. I was dianosed about 5 months ago and wondered if anyone has had a rapid decline in their symptoms. Although I used to get a lot of pain, fatigue and memory loss, I could still function, but just recently I have gone completely down hill. (I should point out that this has been since moving house so maybe it's the stress) but lately I can hardly walk, my speech in slurred most of the time or something completely different is said, and two days ago I literally couldn't get out of bed. I'm just wondering if this is a natural progression of FM or just a stage I'm going through. Just registered with a new doctor who doesn't know anything about FM so I'm feeling pretty low just now. I'm worried that he's going to investigate my symptoms all over again and I will have another 3 years of tests!!!? I'm also getting worried this coud be MS due to such a rapid decline of symptoms. Any advice would be gratefully received!!! :-|
Laura786
UKFM Member

Postby countyfan » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:58 pm

I find that the GP tends to attribute all my symptoms to Fibro. I have been having problems with my eyes, urinary stress incontinence and hand tremors, which I understand can all be signs of MS. However the reaction I get is that because of depression/anxiety that is associated with Fibro, these are just signs of a panic attack and I need relaxation exercises. I am feeling a lot less stressed at the moment, than I have been for a long while, so I think the GP just wants to fob me off. I have to consider a disc replacement in my cervical spine, which has been compressing the nerves from the spinal cord, before the GP will take any claims to further symptoms of numbness possibly being caused by anything else!

Interesting that a lot of you have parents/grandparents with MS though. I have read that although MS is not thought to be hereditary, a propensity to being susceptible to developing it can run in families.

:-?
countyfan
UKFM Member

Postby jillyfrench » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:58 am

This is to Laura 786
Just read your post and I could have written that myself, I have suddenly had a big decline in my symptoms, I had to go to an appointment today and I could feel my brain turning to mush, words coming out all wrong, memory was terrible, and pain has been awful, I am actually becoming afraid of the mental symptoms this fibro causes, I keep thinking I am becoming senile or something like that. I wish I could say this is just a phase, but if I feel better soon I will let you know, keep smiling hunni xxxxx :-) :-) :-) :-)
jillyfrench
UKFM Newbie

MS mistaken for Fibro???

Postby Mrswalker74 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:29 pm

@Laura786- I was diagnosed last October and at first it wasn't bad. But this last few month have been horrific. Maybe a weather related thing? Xxx
Mrswalker74
UKFM Member

MS mistaken for Fibro???

Postby Mrswalker74 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:20 pm

Thanks again to you all for all the feedback you have given me on this topic. It means a lot to have such a helpful load of people to speak too xxx
Mrswalker74
UKFM Member

Postby tabithakat64 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:33 pm

I've been diagnosed with probable MS as well as ME/Fibro. It seems a lot of people start off with one diagnosis and end up with the other as the symptoms mimic each other as do many of the treatments.
tabithakat64
UKFM Member

Postby woodbon » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:21 pm

Hi, I'm new on here but, I've not been well with aches pains numbness etc for 3 years.
Anyway, I used to be a carer with MS patients and a good neuro should be able to see the results of MRI on the nerve fibres which become damaged and also a test of the spinal fluid would also show MS up.
Love Sue
woodbon
UKFM Member

MS mistaken for Fibro???

Postby Mrswalker74 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:57 pm

Thank u xx
Mrswalker74
UKFM Member

Postby retep » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:41 pm

My symptoms have suddenly got much worse too, I went to the Dr last week for the results of some blood tests which were all ok and all he offered me was some antidepressants for the chronic pain, don't know if it's a flare up of fybro but it feels so bad that you start to think maybe it's something else, I think the Dr's put everything down to fybro if they can't find anything else wrong with you, i'm going to ask to see a neurologist if things don't get any better.
retep
UKFM Member

MS mistaken for Fibro???

Postby Mrswalker74 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:20 am

What gets me is, we go to our doctors with a new pain/symptom and they offer all these tests. But when the results come back normal, we hear nothing from our doctor! U would think they would be trying to figure out what's causing our new ailments! Sorry, rant over. It just really annoys me! :S
Mrswalker74
UKFM Member

Postby HollyP » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:22 pm

jds1969 wrote:@ babajane32... the washing basket was empty :( . I shuffle around at home with the help of a trolley. My medication is in a dosset box, I have to have help with putting my clothes on. I can't go out on my own any longer. My memory isn't totally due to the medication, everybody is different. I have joined this forum, to read about others experiences with Fibromyalgia and to write about mine, I haven't joined for others to tell me that they are worse than me and all the rest of it!!!!

Oh get a grip! babajanes's post didn't come across that way to me at all. You'll get on much better on a public forum if you go with the flow rather than seeing insult in innocent posts!

As Chrisitan Gray would say '' don't over think it''.
HollyP
UKFM Newbie

Postby amethyst » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:38 pm

So interesting to read that several people's mothers have MS - mine does too. There have been links made between MS and a lack of Vitamin D and it seems many of us with fibro are also Vitamin D deficient - it has got me wondering whether we share an inability to manufacture/ absorb Vitamin D...
amethyst
UKFM Newbie

Postby Laura786 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:47 am

Hi, sorry I've been out for a while......lost password!!!! - back now and thank you all for your replies. I've actually seen my GP three times since the beginning of my decline and have just been deteriorating rapidly since. Everything put down to fibro though. Just found out had an aunt with MS so still worried. Been put in contact with Occupational Therapist for some adaptations to house as fibro has become that bad. :(
Dr says that although I have lesions of pituitary gland and none on other parts of brain then this is definitely not MS. :roll: Hope he's right!!!!

Big hugs :hugs:
Laura786
UKFM Member

Previous

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia