realistic and vivid dreams

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

realistic and vivid dreams

Postby Cariad84 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:57 am

Hi everyone I hope you are all ok :-D .

I just wondered if others have increadably realistic and vivid dreams? Not always nightmares but very very intense :crazy: .
My husband is complaining that for the last couple of months I have been shouting, kicking, punching in my sleep also :oops: .
My meds have had time to settle so I am pretty sure its not due to them I am wondering if I should go back to my GP or if this is just a normal part of Fibro?
Cariad84
UKFM Member

Re: realistic and vivid dreams

Postby Iceskatemum » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:18 am

Cariad84, I also have very realistic and vivid dreams and although not what I think of as "nighmares" they do tend to be verging towards them hence my wimperings and shouting out ( so says OH). I was just putting it down to the meds as although I think I have now settled on a drug regime it does mean given the range of our meds that there is still an awful lot of chemicals to career around your body.

Look at the know side effect of you meds and if still concerned talk it over with the GP or practice nurse the next time you are in the Surgery.

Happy :sleep: :sleep:
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby bekwey » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:25 am

Hi both :) that started happening to me when I went onto Amitrip :( that is why I came off them in the end . Normally don't dream as we don't sleep deeply enough xx
bekwey
UKFM Member

Postby Cariad84 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:36 am

Thanks both, I have just been reading this its very interesting heres the link:

http://www.ukfibromyalgia.com/complemen ... blems.html

And heres an extract:

First, Get the Physical Essentials in Place

We are all creatures of habit, and the first principle is to get the physical essentials in place.
A regular pre-bedtime routine. Your 'alarm' should go off at 9:00 p.m., at which point you drop all activity and move into your bedtime routine.
A regular bed time – 9:30 p.m.
A busy day with the right balance of mental and physical activity.
Not having a bed fellow who snores.
Small carbohydrate snack just before bedtime (such as nuts or seeds) helps prevent nocturnal hypoglycemia, which often manifests with vivid dreams or sweating.
Perhaps restrict fluids in the evening if your night is disturbed by the need to pee.
No stimulants such as caffeine or adrenaline inducing TV, arguments, phone calls, family matters or whatever before bed time! Caffeine has a long half life, so none after 4pm
Dark room - the slightest chink of light landing on your skin will disturb your own production of melatonin (the body's natural sleep hormone). Have thick curtains or blackouts to keep the bedroom dark. This is particularly important for children! Do not switch the light on or clock watch should you wake.
A source of fresh, preferably cold, air.
A warm comfortable bed. We have been brainwashed into believing a hard bed is good for you, and so many people end up with sleepless nights on an uncomfortable bed. It is the shape of the bed that is important. It should be shaped to fit you approximately and then very soft to distribute your weight evenly and avoid pressure points. TempurR mattresses can be helpful (if expensive), as are water beds.

Address Other Factors Known To Disturb Sleep

If your sleep is disturbed by sweating, then this is likely to be a symptom of low blood sugar.
Another common cause of disturbed sleep is hyperventilation, which often causes vivid dreams or nightmares. However, I often use a benzodiazepine [“minor tranquilizer”] such as diazepam 2-5 mgs at night, which reduces the sensitivity of the respiratory centre.
If sleep is disturbed by pain, then one must just take whatever pain killers are necessary to control this. Lack of sleep simply worsens pain.
If one wakes in the nights with symptoms such as asthma, chest pain, shortness of breath, indigestion, etc., then this may point to food allergy being the problem with these withdrawal symptoms occurring during the small hours.
Some people find any food disturbs sleep and they sleep best if they do not eat after 6:00 p.m.

If you do wake in the night, do not switch the light on, do not get up and potter round the house, or you will have no chance of dropping off to sleep.
Cariad84
UKFM Member

Postby amazonia » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:11 am

Interesting re the waking up with tight chest, unable to breathe. Which is a new symptom for me. This is the last thing that is left of what I can only describe as a horrific episode of rib pain.. Whole rib cage, stomach problems, acid, way too much air, unable to breathe which slowly subsided in the last 6 months. Initially brought on by shock nothing actually made sense, although I knew I had fibro by this point. I find a lot of tension around the neck/shoulder area so I thought I had posture/stress problems but it is interesting you say waking up short of breath can be food withdrawal symptoms related to intolerance. My whole life I've had vivid dreams (think that's just being psychic ;) - Think our neurons are extra sensitive. We're just sensitive full stop. I've looked into stopping bread, soya and milk products now as I understand they can affect the absorbtion of vitamins because of gluten/soya glue like properties and intolerance to either lactose or milk proteins. It seems mine is the milk proteins. Particularly bad were cuppa soups and every product I looked at after which gave me acid stomach (the first alert for food intolerance) had milk proteins on the label incl. Some crisps and chocolate bars. When I wake up at night now feeling really tight I simply get a mildly hot water and sip it. It always helps? Its like I am so tense I don't breathe properly when I sleep so have to kind of restart it all when I wake up. My physio told me I must check to breathe from my tummy every hour for about 3/4 breaths to make sure I'm not shallow breathing..it really has been helping. All my life if I eat late it gets stuck or I find I can't breathe. Very strange. Its almost like we have ultra slow responses.. I know of other people who eat like a horse right before they sleep and absolutely no problems.. I have found massage and reiki to be of absolute help.
amazonia
UKFM Member

Postby Cariad84 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:39 am

Hi amazonia thats really interesting, I get terrible rib pain and neck/shoulder pain with my fibro too. I have been looking more at this Drs website (for any who are wondering why you have heard the name before she was banned from prescribing in 2010/11 by the GMC, but that was found to be unfounded and she was re-enstated- I have been reasearching on the net this morning! Fibro fog is not bad today!) she believes in the stone age diet, this is something I have been looking into but I was still going to eat root veg and sweet potatoes so I am still getting a little non gluten etc based carbs, I think it would be too much to switch from all to nothing so I am going to do it in stages so my body can adjust. I will say she is obviously selling her services through her website but there is asside from that a wealth of free advice to be found and I am going to take advantage of that. Apparently she does take and get NHS GP referals so I am going to talk to my GP about this. Fair play she has some ideas about other issues that are a bit contraversial but I think what she is saying about CFS/ME and Fibro are very reasonable balanced ideas. If any of you are interested heres the address of her website, obviously it is probbably wise to consult your GP before doing really wild things to your diet but she was a NHS GP from 81 until about 10 years ago I think if I am remembering what I read correctly: www.drmyhill.co.uk

Cariad84 :)
Cariad84
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:12 pm

When I was on the amis, I had really vivid, trippy dreams as well, often turning into nightmares :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: I lost count of the number of times OH told me that I'd been talking/screaming/sitting up/lashing out and kicking in my sleep. I was swapped on to nortriptyline as the amis weren't suiting me and (touch wood) the dreams have been a lot less frequent, trippy and vivid. Still turn into nightmares, but that now seems to be related to something I've watched, esp zombie~related things :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

A lot of the meds used in the management of FM do have sleeping trouble as a side effect, so it could be meds related. For me, I'd been on the amis for a couple of years before the dreams became really bad, and each time they became more vivid, almost lucid at times, it coincided with a change in meds.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby mlou » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:01 pm

I have these kind of dreams quite often. For instance Thursday night my partner said i was shouting 'Mum Mum' in my sleep and flintching, I don't recall saying this but remember having a horrible dream that my Fiance was having an affair and left me. :( I must have been shouting for my mum which is what I always do if there's a problem :lol: I often have vivid dreams and sweat also. This has happened since being a teen I'm now 31 not sure if It's part of the course of having Fibro or not I would have a word with your G.P x
mlou
UKFM Member

Postby lala1626 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:07 pm

i started having really vivd dreams that i will be able to remeber exactly what went on in my dream weeks later. they arent aways full on nightmares but they arent pleasant. my OH is a very heavy sleeper so he hasnt mentioned anytimes that i have wken him up so dunno what i do in my sleep, i know i talk in my sleep and i have done that all my life.

i take 75mg of amis every night and they help with sleeping but never eve put the two together with amis and dreams whenever my smis have been increased my dreams are getting more vivd and more regular, they have gotten to be every night now.

i think im gna start reducing my amis and see what happens.

so glad i found thi site so many little things i find out which i would never have known.
so thankyou everyone!!! x
Be nice and smile to everyone you meet.
You don't know what they are going through.
They may need that smile,
and treasure it.

Don't ask how I am unless you really want to know the answer!
lala1626
UKFM Member

Postby mlou » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:59 pm

Was at it again last night 'the dreams' that is' :lol: woke my partner up several times, didn't have the best of sleeps and was feeling it today if I don't have a solid refreshed sleep I pay for it the next day :sleep: my partner must think I'm a complete nutter :lol:
mlou
UKFM Member

Postby Salgor » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:03 pm

I also get very vivid dreams. My hubbie says that I have started shouting out in my sleep, which is something I have never done in the past, as far as I know. I am also on 50 mg of ami at night so perhaps this is the cause, or there again it could be the fibro itself.

S
Salgor
UKFM Member

Postby lisam20 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:39 pm

Cariad84 wrote: If any of you are interested heres the address of her website, obviously it is probbably wise to consult your GP before doing really wild things to your diet but she was a NHS GP from 81 until about 10 years ago I think if I am remembering what I read correctly

Cariad84 :)

I get vivid dreams sometimes, it is pretty normal I think, however if you think that it could be due to medication then you could discuss it with your doctor if you are concerned about it.
Last edited by lisam20 on Wed May 15, 2013 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dream Big! Use a dream interpretation a-z site for help analyzing your dreams. See http://www.dreamdictionarynow.com/ for more info.
lisam20
UKFM Newbie

Postby jennthefunkyranger » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:48 pm

I have vivid dreams, though not nightmares. They are either normal, and related to what I'm doing in life (ie last week at work a few people had problems with their phones pulling through two custoemr calls at the same time, and I then dreamed this was happening to me), or completely and utterly bizarre.
jennthefunkyranger
UKFM Member

Postby LouLou » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:06 am

Hi

I'm another one who has these. I have actually hit my OH a few times with my lashing out lol poor guy he has a lot to put up with. I put mine down to my meds too as I never had these kind of dreams before. I'm on co codamol and tramadol at the mo but I still get the dreams. I shout out in my sleep too lol but sometimes my OH does this and he isn't on any meds at all. In fact last night he asked me to trun the music down at 3am...........erm we were both asleep in bed lol he kept saying over and over "turn it down Lou turn it down I can't sleep" but it was dead quiet and he was fast asleep lol.

Think he was just getting his own back on me lol
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia