Nasal Congestion/Facial Pain

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Postby Gaia » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:52 am

Hs anyone got any tips for coping with chronic facial pains and a feeling of congestion after sleep, which give me awful headaches? I have had fibro for several years and the last 2 of which I have had the feeling of being "bunged up" when I wake and terrible pains around the centre of my face, which last for hours after.

To begin with I thought it was just a cold or general congestion in my nose and was taking various things to try and help such as cold remedies and sudafed for congestion etc. This only made the inside of my nose feel so dry I could hardly breath, so I stopped taking them.

My gp says I can't take anything for it, along with everything else I am on, and I've tried breathing in steamed water with a bit of Vicks in it before bed hoping to open up the sinuses, sleeping with my head on 2 pillows to raise it up a bit, putting drops of lavender oil on my pillow, as well as blowing my nose before I lay down to make sure the airways are clear, yet if I manage to get more than one hour sleep, I wake up with my head thumping and the pain in the centre of my face is so bad I can hardly focus my eyes sometimes :!:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Gaia
UKFM Member

Re: Nasal Congestion/Facial Pain

Postby Terrishaw83 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:27 am

Hi I like u have fibro n had problems in my face but last 2 month got worse n have been in so much pain I couldn't cope then my doc said I had a facial nerve pain I went to hospital n they agreed its called trigeminal neuralgia I'm not saying that's what u have but look into it as their are things they can do n the pain is unbearable. Good luck I hope u get help soon x
Terrishaw83
UKFM Newbie

Postby liv » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:36 am

Hello

It was my search for a diagnosis of and remedy to problems with nasal congestion, headaches, dizziness ect that eventually lead to a diagnosis of Fibromyalgia. Ironically I now have the congestions symptoms quite well under control and more problems with the other symptoms Fibro brings us.

I would suggest you try to cut out dairy products, also read up on salicylates and perhaps go on a low salicylate diet. I can only say that this has helped me and I hope it helps you too!
liv
UKFM Member

Postby MollyDog » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:53 am

Hi all! Just thinking this morning how my face hurt and up popped your message I too have just the same thing and find wearing glasses really hurts ! Yesterday it was my legs ribs hands !! What will tomorrow bring!! Sure I would bare this much longer ! It just makes my cry wi the pain !!
MollyDog
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:52 pm

Im another facial pain/congestion sufferer!

I wake up every morning feeling like i have the flu! nasty migraines, fuzzy head and dizziness. Feeling like my whole face is on fire and swollen.

Eyes all blurred and feeling tho my heads been crushed in a vice and been chewing on a french stick all night :shock: :shock: but they tell me its called TMJ :lol: more like torchure!!

Mornings are my worst!

I have post nasel drip and i always feel like iv a sinus infection.

I also have CFS and this can also give you that heavy headed crap feeling especially in mornings.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby pinky1 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:18 pm

Wow! I had no idea this was related. I've suffered with this on and off for years. For the past 6 weeks its been constant. My doc gave me antibiotics for a sinus infection and it still hasn't cleared up. I'd love to get a tube and get all the stuff out haha.
It's painful too! How is TMJ treated? I have a sore jaw most of the time
X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pinky1
UKFM Member

Postby babajane32 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:53 am

all sounds so familiar, mine has improved alot since doc put me on piriton,i take it inthe mroning and when i wake it has started to congest and ache again abit,but the piriton certainly has helped me...might be woirth a try as i thinkit can be taken with most things perscribed .x
babajane32
UKFM Member

Postby angesparkle » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:50 pm

Hi have had this very recently and can really sympathise- had fuzzy head, sore sinuses, pressure in my etc.
I have found Syndol to be effective- but obviously check with your doc if you are alright to take it).
The doc gave me an nasal spray which helps a little bit.
FIBRO, CFS, GAD,TMJ, SQUINT,ASTHMA,DYPSRAXIA,DISCALCULIA, BPV, HYPERMOBILITY.
angesparkle
UKFM Member

Postby umbrella » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:33 pm

Just bought a netti pot, research it on the web. always use boiled and then cooled water add a little salt.
has helped congestion. could not believe what ame out of my sinuses. antibiotics did not work
umbrella
UKFM Newbie

Postby SharonL42 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:04 pm

I've had this for years too....I wake up in the early hours with a completely blocked most, fizzy, fuzzy head, jaw & head pain. I gel like I have a constant cold. My.GP thinks it's linked to my Fibro too.

I find Sterimars nasal spray helps to clear things out..you can buy it in Boots.

Might try a antihistamine again too
Sharon xx

Keep Smiling :-)
Keep Smiling :)
SharonL42
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia