Fibromyalgia & Scoliosis

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Fibromyalgia & Scoliosis

Postby lisaward127 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:10 am

Hello, I have had scoliosis all my life, slight curve at the top of my back, this has always caused me discomfort but got really worse over the last 20 months, FM is making the condition a lot worse than it is and I found physio not helping a lot and stop having treatments as it made it worse. I was wondering if there is more people with Scoliosis and FM and if the have the same aggregated pain because of FM.

Have appointment tomorrow with rheumatologist to confirm dr diagnosis of FM, been a long road to get to this point, loads of tests and pain clinic that was a waist of time. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Soft hugs to you all xxx
Lisa Ward
lisaward127
UKFM Member

Re: Fibromyalgia & Scoliosis

Postby babajane32 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:22 am

Hi,i have a straight cervical spine that has definately got worse as the fm has progressed...not sure if its the same sort of thing
babajane32
UKFM Member

Postby petesonic » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:49 am

Hi i have scoliosis in the lumbar section and yes FM does make it alot worse for me especially when cold.. i bought a click to heat back belt and have never regretted it they also do a neck 1 aswell if that is any use to you.

pete
petesonic
UKFM Newbie

Fibromyalgia & Scoliosis

Postby lisaward127 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:50 pm

Thank you Peter, I also use heat to relieve then pain. Xxx
Lisa Ward
lisaward127
UKFM Member

Postby isitme » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:59 am

How is your back pain today?
isitme
UKFM Member

Fibromyalgia & Scoliosis

Postby lisaward127 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:49 pm

Morning, back is burning and I have been to see the Rhymeotologist this morning, had more x rays and blood tests , they will contact me in the next 14 days with a letter to confirm FM. I am still in a lot of pain but taking meds and going to have a rest, sure it will be better soon. Thank you for asking. Xxx
Lisa Ward
lisaward127
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:02 pm

I recently had a lumbar MRI and they see i had loss of the lordisis which doc said my spine curves in so my posture is out of alignment and adds to the stiffness and pressure on my back/neck.

I also know that chronic stiffness can cause the spine to come out of alignment, this i noticed on another fibro and his consultant pain clinic doctor said the stiffness and muscle spasms push the spine causing alsorts of problems.

So my backside sticks out and i have a big curve in my back and my neck is bent :xmasdance1: :xmasdance1:

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Saffi » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:17 pm

When I first had all my xrays in Rheumatology they said I had an abnormally straight lumbar spine (possibly due to a passion for corsets in my developing years) which was lucky because the HMS and FM had caused such pelvic havoc a strong lumbar was the only thing keeping my top and bottom half attached!

Since then I have fractured my lumbar spine twice. And oh how the cold does not agree with me there. I sympathise it is dreadful having a mixture of conditions that conflicting treatments help-hinder. The physio would help one but hurts the other I imagine? It is the same for me. Have you tried massage? For me, on all the meds I have ever had, massage is the only muscle pain relief that works.

If it is expensive you might try contacting local colleges and unis who do beauty therapy because they always need people to practice on, and its as cheap as £5! If you dont mind a student and a bit less privacy that is.

My dad suffered from back problems all my young life and I only now appreciate how awful it is. I hope you find a way to manage them soon -

xxxxx
the internet is a lot like Ancient Egypt... people writing on walls and worshipping cats
Saffi
UKFM Member

Postby lisaward127 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:18 pm

Thank you all for your reply, I was born with Scoliosis but it was never treated as a child as it didn’t really cause any problem, my parents wasn’t really great on going to the Dr and getting treatment. Now in later life well for the last 5 years I have been having great problems, my right shoulder is pushed out prom the Scoliosis and limits the use of my right arm and causing a lot of pain, adding FM to this it makes for a really painful condition.

Small steps as they say, and I am hoping to get a better treatment plan for my Scoliosis soon.
Lisa Ward
lisaward127
UKFM Member

Postby tonydin » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:41 am

i can only say YES to all of the above :roll: defo some connection between the spine and fibro i think , just not sure which causes what :lol: :lol: :lol: tony
tonydin
UKFM Member

Postby lisaward127 » Wed May 01, 2013 8:19 am

I am having an MRI scan next week to look at my spine, the orthopaedics asked me loads of questions when I saw him few weeks back, based on the questions I think he wants to rule out MS as well, I was shocked to find that MS and FM have the same symptoms. I don't want Fibro or MS for that matter but would rather have FM.

I am nervous about this scan but at least they can have a good look at my Scoliosis and see if there is anything they can do.

Lisaxxc
Lisa Ward
lisaward127
UKFM Member

Postby marianne p » Thu May 02, 2013 9:50 pm

i have scoliosis and i think it is getting worse,i have pain in lower back,pressure on my hips and my knees hurt.they say fibro is not progressive but i think it is because i am feeling worse lately.marianne p x :!: :yikes: :too-upset: :pull-hair:
marianne p
UKFM Member

Postby tonydin » Thu May 02, 2013 11:45 pm

im the same lisa ever sibce childhood ...chronic pain breeds more pain im afiad
tony
tonydin
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia