panic on waking

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

panic on waking

Postby sue44 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:46 pm

hi,
does anyone else start to wake up in the morning and almost instantly get a panic attack without the hyper breathing just severe instant anxierity, like my sleeping boby just cant handle waking up with my FM conditions? and its realises and freaks. its happened 3 days on the trot and takes me hours to get over it, what with everyting else it feels like another nail in the coffin.
sue44
UKFM Newbie

Re: panic on waking

Postby Poseypig » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:07 am

I feel for you...I get this sometimes...I was diagnosed 13 years a go and this sort of feeling usually comes when I'm about to have a worse time than usual. It's like my body is trying to warn me of what is coming. Anxiety is a symptom of this lovely condition for some but it is always worth going to see someone about it. I saw a counsellor who was a big help in dealing with some of the emotions and depression that fibro can cause. Don't know if that helps or makes any sense, the drugs haven't kicked I yet! Hope you feel better soon xxx
Poseypig
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:59 am

I would also have episodes of breathlessness and panic. If it happens as I wake then it take for ever to calm down and I can feel dizzy as if I am about to faint. My doctor has diagnosed anxiety and given me deep breathing exercises to try and regulate the panic I get into as it seems it is a vicious circle of rising panic and short rapid breaths.

I have to try and slow down my breathing , breathing in through my nose in a controlled manner and then exhale through my mouth . It helps if there is someone there to talk you through the first 10 or so breaths.

Good luck , hope you can get on top of it soon as I know how distresssing it can be.
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby *Lisa* » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:02 am

You will nedd to see your GP about this.

Does sound like anxiety attacks but they need to know and help you
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby sknowles456 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:58 pm

i used to suffer terribly with panic attacks on waking and was ill for months and months. i finally go given a medication called Quetiepine which is an anti psychotic and this has helped me greatly. Doctors are loathe to give out diazepam now because of addiction problems but if my psychiatrist had not prescribed this drug i don't know what would have happened to me, i was suicidal. :(
sknowles456
UKFM Member

Postby sue44 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:25 am

Thanks for your rely, I have managed to Beg some lorazapam from my doctor previously for my really vvv bad days but use them sparingly luckily i had 2 tablets left but none left for sunday's episode, strange thing is i dont hyperventalate just wake up to sheer uncontrolable terror? no trigger as 2 seconds previously i was asleep? I could understand it more if i was in a stressed situation at that momment, I wonder if your body really relaxes when you sleep? does the pain stop when you are asleep? I'm really stumped by it! I've managed to ween myself of most of the drugs i was on as most didnt work Gaberpentin/pregabalin/amitriptalin etc and am sure some actually give you more side effects like restless legs /palpatations etc. Atlest I know its my FM that giving me the probs not the drugs! I just wear Fentanyl 75mcg patches now for the pain which helps abit but always on the look out or miricule cure.HA HA!! Have you heard of serrapeptase ? might give it a try if its not too ££!! trouble with being unwell is it hurts the pocket almosst as much as our Bodies!! Will leave you on a happy note, had a normal wake up today! Relief!!
Hope you are managing OK? will let you know how the trial goes sue
sue44
UKFM Newbie

Postby sue44 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:56 am

thanks lisa for your suggestion but i have no faith or confidence left in doctors now, recently moved to new area so had to change to a new doctors. I hoped i might get a more understanding one than from my last, but no, so again visited another diff one in same practice a lady this time but again the same negative no time attitude. I realise they are pushed for time but I waited 3 difficult weeks to see her for a abrupt "What do you want me to do" I know if i was rich and a private patient atleast it would give me extra time to explain what FM a most dont seem to know about it and the symptoms . Its not a simple condition, I'm sure many FM sufferers feel they are ignored because of the complexatity of our problems by both doctors and other medical consultants who cant seem even to agree. Also I think most FM's dont have depression because of Fibromyalgia its the lack of treatment/care that makes that happen!
seething not so quietly
sue44
UKFM Newbie

Postby Saffi » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:47 pm

Cuddles

I have never had such a panic on waking, more the dread realisation you have to get up and deal with it again. It almost feels like everytime you wake up you have to start from scratch and face your condition again. I dont know about you but the only time I am not in pain is when I am asleep. If this feels right, I imagine it is the shock to your body of the pain, and the fear that you have to confront it.

I was recently on a muscle relaxant dosulepin which made my legs and arms go numb when I went to sleep. Very scary but blissful. Everything shuts down and you can sleep. However on the lightest dose I did sleep for 12 hours at a time everynight and if I woke up early and got up I barely coped at all. Fell down the stairs and all sorts, because your body fights to go back to sleep. Maybe something like that will ease your wake up routine? Anxiety tablets, in my opinion, have too many side effects to be helpful.

If you woke up more relaxed so you could become accustomed to the pain you may not feel so scared/anxious.

My dread anxiety is stairs. I have often stood at the bottom of a flight shaking and hyperventilating. They are my kryptonite. So I do empathise with you -

hugs xxx
the internet is a lot like Ancient Egypt... people writing on walls and worshipping cats
Saffi
UKFM Member

Postby Pinkprincess205 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:31 am

Iv been getting this for a few weeks now. My boyfriend says I do it when I'm asleep and he gets in bed after popping to the loo, or if my phone rings or someone knocks on the door while I'm sleeping. He says I bolt up right and jump and seem really scared, I am never actually awake as he says I go straight back to sleep, but I don't remember in the morning. Occasionally I briefly wake up and my hearts beating fast and I ask him if iv just had one and he says yes. It's not really nice for me or him. Not sure what to do, might mention to the doctor next time x
Pinkprincess205
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia