Fibrofog!!

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Fibrofog!!

Postby DonnaLily » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:52 pm

Afternoon all :-)

I think I'm officially being taken over by Fibrofog! :crazy:

I literally forget things minutes after thinking of them - I seem to remember important things like picking up my daughter from preschool PHEW!! :lol:

In the time I decided to go on eBay to get a new iPhone charger (because the Tasmanian Devil that is my Lily broke the latest one) and **something else I can't remember** - literally from picking up and turning on the laptop, then opening eBay I had forgotten the other thing :face-slap:

This is becoming a daily thing for me and I'm really getting annoyed :roll:

Does anyone take anything that helps with this, or am I stuck with it?

TIA

Donna xx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away"
DonnaLily
UKFM Member

Re: Fibrofog!!

Postby Moobaloo » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:59 pm

I think we can probably all relate to your experience...my memory seems to be getting worse in a daily basis! I forget names of people I've known for years, forget what people have said to me pretty much as soon as they've finished speaking, and have a weird inability to write numbers down in the correct order (eg: a phone number).

It drives me NUTS! I think my bad memory is starting to do my partner's head in big time :s

Plus, I've had a stinking headache for 5 days now & can't shift it at all... Any of you get this too?

Moobaloo x
Moobaloo
UKFM Member

Postby coz1 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:28 pm

hi,oh fibrofog :-? ive had to give up even working behind the local bar as i was getting more and more :oops: as i was forgeting what my regulars drank or even forgetting what i had pored when useing the till :-x
My worse time was reasently it was my 50th birthday,my husband(bless him)had booked a evening romantic meal at the hotel we had stayed our wedding night at and had booked us in,it was so lovely. One week later i was out for lunch with a freind when she asked what i had done for my birthday,i said we went for a romantic meal then just burst into tears as i couldnt remember where and everything else about the night,how bad is that :too-upset:
After explaining about these fogs to my doctor i asked would this happen if im out would i forget where i am or going,he said it could do,he says we will have to deal with that IFit happens !!!!! :pull-hair: :banghead:
what ever next i ask myself, coz x
coz1
UKFM Member

Postby katz65 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:52 pm

Hi Fibrofog :-| I know fibrofog is doing my head in aswell, I am glad I saw you message because I didn't know if it could be this bad or if it was something else going on. Its so bad now that I even call our dog by our sons name, quickly correcting myself, then realising I've called him by my partners name & thankfully on the third try I get it right, I also do it to my partner & son. :twisted:
I also find it fustrating when I to can't remember what I was just about to do or what I was going to say but can remember things from weeks ago or stuff coming up, I did slip up the last week though - I forgot to tell my son about his doctors appointment untill I suddenly thought about it a couple of hours after he should have been there. :shock: I hope this is not a sign of it getting worse than it is :!:
I to haven't heard of anything to help us with the fog :pull-hair:
katz65
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:54 pm

Hi
The things i have done and blamed fibro fog on :lol: :lol: I am always forgetting things, put things in the wrong place, call people by the wrong name, forget what i needed when i walk into a room. I have left taps running. The list goes on...................

I set reminders on my phone and on my lappy now to remind me about appt`s

Its something we all have and we have to live, i write myself notes and stick them where i know i will see them. :crazy:
I did go to see my gp about it because it does worry me but he said it happens to everyone. :dunno: i can understand it if i was in my 80`s but not in my 40`s. :yikes:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby DonnaLily » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:04 pm

I know what you mean about understanding it if we were old! I'm only 25! :-o

I never used to be this forgetful :-( it's frustrating coz I then worry all the time that I've forgotten something important

Xx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away"
DonnaLily
UKFM Member

Postby sallzz » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:16 pm

Hi all :wave:
I've noticed fibro fog affecting me a lot more too, my husband asked me to trim his hair yesterday, I forgot as soon as he asked me!! but I did remember about it at about 4 am this morning, but thought I'd best not wake him as he wouldn't be pleased lol..... My words get mixed up all the time, there is a bad point to it to, I am finding i sometimes lose concentration when driving which is worrying :facepalm:
sallzz
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:26 pm

Another affected more and more by the dreaded fog as well :( :( I've done all sorts of daft things, my proudest one being not able to find the doglet's lead and looking all over for it, only to realise when I looked down that she was already on her lead and the other end was in my hand :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

The most frustrating thing for me at the moment is the amount of things that I've been forgetting, esp F1 related stuff :f1-car: :f1-car: From being able to recall all sorts of anoraky facts from numerous races and seasons, I'm struggling to remember what happened in the last race or 2 :cry: :cry: :cry:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby sharon68 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:46 pm

Im just as bad as each and everyone listed above,earlier today i was on sheer panic searching for my mobile only to realise i was using it,i cant remember what objects are called,well i can but cant seem to say them. I have to give all my appointments to my mum so she can write them on her calender as i seem to read them and write them on a completely different day which is embarrassing when i turn up with the letter in hand only to be told this was yesterday! It drives me mad and is sometimes embarrassing,i have to write everything down when im visiting my GP and sit and read it off to him otherwise i go in there and dont tell him what i needed too!! :(
sharon68
UKFM Newbie

Postby lolabolla » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:14 pm

My 'best' or worse one so far has been when making yorkie puds.

For the past 3 weeks my puddings have turned out quite flat.

Now I pride myself in cooking a mean yorkshire pud and I just could not fathem what was going wrong.

Untill this Sunday when it happened again, even though I had measured the ingredients (I never measure the ingredients), checked I was using the correct flour and had the oven and fat piping hot.

So after making my appologies yet again for rubbish puds I decided to throw the flour away thinking it must be 'off'.

As I was throwing it in the bin I noticed it read 'Self Raising Flour' and the plain flour that I should have been using was sat there on the shelf mocking me.

Lola xx

For goodness sake, I've been making yorkies for 40+ years and have never made that mistake, especially 3 times on the trot
lolabolla
UKFM Member

Fibrofog!!

Postby DonnaLily » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:23 pm

Lol we're a right bunch! Christmas dinner cooking will be interesting!!

I did chuckle at some of these but in all seriousness I wish there was something we could do to stop it, I used to have a fab memory!

At least we can blame it on something, I used to call it baby brain after I had lily haha

Donna xx
DonnaLily
UKFM Member

Postby bjj12 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:58 am

I used to put all the "fog" problems down to tamoxifen (taken to prevent recurrence of breast cancer). I have been off it for months now so it can't have been that after all.

I can't remember things. Multi-tasking is a thing of the past. I used to potter around the house whilst on the phone doing mundane tasks like emptying the airing cupboard. I now have to sit and concentrate in phone calls.

I do a bit of part-time work and struggle at meetings. No way I can take the minutes as I can't talk and write LOL.

I got remarried a couple of years ago and I was out recently with my husband and we bumped into people who I knew. Chatted away for a while. Husband said afterwards "You could have introduced me". Problem was I couldn't as although I knew I knew them - I had no idea who they were let alone what their names were!

I am fed up of not remembering, having lists everywhere and then losing the valuable lists and getting in a right panic.

Is there any chance at all that things will improve?

bjj
bjj12
UKFM Member

Postby diane1 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:33 am

Hi folks

Fibro fog it sounds like some daft faddy thing when you tell people if only they knew how bad it is. I get so fed up of friends saying oh yes I'm always forgetting things its just your age, Its not its fibro fog I want to shout and its much worse :pull-hair: :scream-1: :too-upset:

My best has been going out meeting someone I used to work with, them asking me my address to call around and me not remembering where i LIVED. It was my scariest moment and i DID get worried although I did remember some 20 minutes later. I forget tablets, have I taken them or not, left the oven on, forgotten how to work the computer the list goes on.

I mentioned it to my consultant and he told me that as we suffer so much pain constantly the brains area for pain cant cope and so it pinches part of the cognitive area to help it cope. This then leads to our fibro fog and also problems with speach,understanding words and written text etc.So if the pain eases the brain wont need to take over the cognittive area and hopefully our memory etc will return.

I now tell anyone who says they get that to make them understand. Now I just get well at least its not alzheimers :face-slap:
I did feel a bit better when the consultant explained it though and it made sense as well.

So there is hope our memory will improve but that after they find a cure for the pain. :scream-1: never mind.
Does an elephant with fibro fog ever forget ?
diane1
UKFM Member

Postby Fibro Fi » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:26 am

Until I realised fibro fog was part of the illness, I had assumed I was a bit thick! I've avoided playing trivial pursuit for all these years, but now I have a genuine reason why! Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Fibro Fi
UKFM Member

Postby coz1 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:18 pm

Well thanks to diane1,you have explained more about this worry of forgetting how to think,speak,react and live with fibrofog than my doctor,if i do forget where i am while out i will just sit with a cuppa until i remember :yikes: :waiting:
coz1
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia