Sensitivity to food making me feel so ill

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Sensitivity to food making me feel so ill

Postby Lindiriel » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:46 pm

I have never experienced anything like this before in my life. I've always had a very varied diet and healthy appetite and thoroughly enjoyed my food.

This actually started off with medications, and again, I've never been like this in my entire life before.

I find that with any med or even natural vitamin supplement I try to take that over a few days, sometimes a week, I gradually start to feel more and more ill, nauseated, dizzy and like I'm trembling inside. It stops over the next few days after stopping the medication. This has been going on for over a year and has got worse over time.

Now this is happening every time I eat anything. I can't identify what specific food or foods might be the trigger. Even foods I have eaten happily beforehand are now causing problems. It doesn't matter what I eat, everything makes me feel ill. It's much quicker and more pronounced than with meds. Sometimes I feel ill so quickly I have to go and lie down before finishing even half of what's on my plate. I am so hungry I want to cry,but I just dare not eat anything.

Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone have any ideas on how to cope with this?

Thanks,

Kath
Lindiriel
UKFM Member

Re: Sensitivity to food making me feel so ill

Postby babajane32 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:59 pm

Hi, sorry to hear you are having this problem to such a degree.
I have become very sensative and intolerant to food compared to my past, but not to the extent youo have.
i do beleive alot of mine has been to do with the meds, but stopping/changing the meds over the past years to try and counter it has had no effect except to leave me in more pain than ever :(
it seams alot of fm sufferers also have ibs,diabeties issues etc and my gp says that the inner shaking i feel is linked to medication?
not muc help i'm afraid, but somethings have improved on the food front for me a little from time to time and i have had some anti-nausea pills that helped.
Also have you been checked for diabeties?
babajane32
UKFM Member

Postby Colh » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:02 pm

Hi Kath
I know how you feel ive been like that now for the past year and i dont know why!!! this on top of the pain and memory loss is making me
so very depressed, if it wasnt for my 2 girls im not sure i would be here anymore they are all that keep me trying to go on.
I wish someone could find something to stop it.
Take care love and hugs
colette xx
Colh
UKFM Newbie

Postby Lindiriel » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:13 pm

It's definitely not diabetes. I had yet another fasting blood sugar done the other week and my HA1BC result is fine.

Like Colette, this, the pain and the memory fog are making me very depressed.

Plus I couldn't sleep. My GP has given e some Zopiclone as a short term measure and I am so desperate that I'm taking it.

I been forced to cut my meds to almost nothing even the pain meds. I just can't cope with feeling so ill whenever I try to eat anything or take medication. And I'm starting to get a bit scared as I have no idea what to do about it or how to manage it. Anti-nausea meds are likely to make the problem worse as I seem to be reacting to anything these days even vitamin and mineral supplements that never used to cause a problem.

But thanks for your messages. I have amazing family support but I just feel like I'm whinging to the all the time and they can't do anything to help me which upset them then especially my husband. But it'sso nice to know I'm not alone as I am really struggling at the moment

Kath xx
Lindiriel
UKFM Member

Postby Whiddershins » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:31 pm

Hi there, I have this exact same issue with food sensitivity, nausea and problems with digestion. At times they have become so extreme I have been unable to eat some times for long periods of time (months). I also experience ridiculously high amounts of stomach acid which without medication makes me vomit up stomach acid all the time. Its been very tough to find things that I can eat without reaction but for the last few years I have been gluten free which helped initially. I also experience allergic type reactions to a whole host of foods - I was tested at hospital for allergys and was told I wasnt allergic to any of them. But my reactions on actully eating these foods apparently mirrored allergy behaviour - no one could tell me why. I have found sticking to a really simple gluten free diet has enabled me to eat more but if I branch out even slightly I am ill again. I cant drink alcohol at all either. Up until I was in my mid twenties I never had issues with any foods or alcohol. I dont know if my subsequent stomach issues have anything to do with FM, Ive had every digestive & stomach test you can imagine and no Consultant has been able to tell me why I am like this or been able to give me any help. The only piece of advice I was given by the allergy nurse was to take an antihystamine tablet when I get a reaction - it really does help. A friend of mine also helped me enormously by recommended the book - 'the metabolic typing diet'. Obviously not for any weight issues but more to help me work out what types of foods would suit me best. Without that I dont think I would be eating as well as I do. I deeply sympathise, it is absolutely horrible to be starving and yet totally unable to eat the food you need - people just dont understand unless they have experienced it. Good luck x
Whiddershins
UKFM Member

Postby difly » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:36 am

Hi i too have to watch what I eat and when i take multi vits i had a very bad reaction , tremors inside , jelly legs and just feeling weak ,
when i stopped the multi vits symptons changed a bit , then to top it all had a bad reaction to nuts , well i was shocked as i been eatin nuts all my life ,not any more ! and now i take an anti hystemine ,since diagnosed with fibro ive had to rethink every aspect of my life
and all i seem to do is accommodate the fibro , at the same time though im trying to be prepared for all eventualities but there is always somethin new .hope things settle down soon take care xxx
difly
UKFM Member

Postby Fibro Fi » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:09 am

Hi Kath
Sorry to hear you feel so rough. What extreme reactions!
I am on an elimination diet myself at the moment, no eggs, dairy, red meat ,caffeine, alcohol, processed or packaged/ tinned foods and sugar. I have also just been diagnose with Coeliacs disease so obviously no gluten. I had a massive reaction last week and was very ill despite
all these foods out of my diet so I can empathise to a degree as so there is so little left to eat. I am working with a recommended kinesiologist at the moment to sort things out, another name is muscle testing.
Can you try certain food groups like fruit or veg first and see what happens.
It's so miserable because it's al on top of feeling unwell anyway with the fibromyalgia. There must be a link somewhere don't you think with so many of us having IBS.
Try not to give up. Find a good practitioner to work with because you have to eat.
Take care Kath and let us know how you get on.
Lots of love,
Fiona.
Xx
Fibro Fi
UKFM Member

Postby Aliscat64 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:03 am

Morning lovely ladies.

So sorry that you are all having such a rough time with food it must be horrific :(

I was diagnosed in May and for many years I thought I had allergies to things but really they are just severe sensitivities.

I am an ex nurse and putting my logical sensible head on I know I havent had a full allergic reaction and there is a difference.

Do you all swell , have major rashes, blue tinges to lips and tongues, profuse immediate vomiting? that is an allergy.

Sensitivities are tickly throats, nausea, a bit dizzy, dozy.itchy.

I used to help run the allergy clinics with children and so many kids had huge classic symptoms but normal bloods I really think you can be borderline allergic but without full medical proof!! Take photos if you have rashes etc to show drs.

I am NOT putting anyone down it all feels so scary doesnt it when it happens...............drugs are my really scary things. Im so sensitive even antihistamines Im asleep in 30 mins even with the non drowsy ones.I struggle with painkillers as they can give me such dreadful constipation/pain.........had just one dose of tramadol after my jaw op in july and didnt go to the loo for 5 days! BUT Ive never had a full reaction and have to keep reminding myself of that.

also one thing i would say is dont have somethings like coffee on a empty stomach...........I limit myself to one coffee a day but always with something to eat so it is lining the tummy not just hitting the body with nothing else! I love coffee but Im definately sensitive!! Try tiny bits of allsorts and do a lot of illimination..........we all have to keep our energy levels up.

I also do avoid kiwi, peaches. brown bread and NO alcahol that affects mood horrifically. Luckily IBS seems to be the one symptom that I dont completely have with my FMS.

so take care and mega hugsxx
Aliscat64
UKFM Member

Postby monica » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:40 am

Sorry to hear you are having such a rough time with your food sensitivity.

I have the same problems and it drives me up the wall! People give me a really hard time because they think I'm fussy about my food but I'm not, I have to be careful what I eat and how much. I can't eat late at night so have my last meal about 5.30 otherwise I'm up all night feeling sick. That seems weird to a lot of people. I don't drink coffee or alcohol as they really trigger it off. So now I'm labelled boring because I'm tee total.

Honestly now I'm starting to type this I could go into a rant about how much peoples comments upset me but I'll stop myself now. Don't want to hijack the thread!

I hope you find ways to cope and feel better soon.
monica
UKFM Member

Postby liv » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:42 am

I have had a lot of problems similar to yours and am now much better. I think there is much more of a link with foods and Fibro than many people realise.

I was only diagnosed in June. I had been experiencing problems for 10 years and like many people on this forum went back and forwards between doctor and consultant.

Things started to improve for me when I went to an Immunology clinic. Although no food allergies were discovered I was advised to go on a low salicylate diet. I started and stopped because it was hard. I then realised I just had to make more of an effort and so tried again this time for 8 weeks or so. I bought a breadmaker to make my own bread and made my own biscuits. Everything I ate was simple and made from scratch although a little bland as spices tend to be high in salicylates.

It is difficult to isolate which foods caused problems but I could soon tell which foods within a group were causing me to become dizzy. My dizzyness seemed to come from nasal congestion although my nose most often felt dry. The elimination of milk and dairy (which are not salicylates) helped me, dairy products produce mucous.

On my elimination diet I suddenly realised I was no longer suffering from IBS. One has to wonder what else is going on in the body as well as the obvious symptoms of IBS.

I could go on and on but I have found that by eating basic and simple home prepared meals without much in the way of sauces, pastries and sugar I feel much better. Having found a lot of this out by myself I now see there is much info on the net from people who also belive in the food connection with Fibro, Rhumatoid Arthritis, MS etc.

I am on 10mg Amitiptyline to help me sleep. I take Bimuno (probiotic), Osteo Bi-Flex (glucosamine and chondroitin), Turmeric (anti-inflammatory), MSM and Menoserene. I used to have problems with stummoch acidity but this combination is fine. I take a bath in Epsom salts every other day.

Of course I still have Fibro and will never be 100% but for the moment at least dizzyness is much much less of a problem and my limbs feel much stronger, without the horrible shakey feeling, of dull aches and nervous trembling.

I have read so much and taken in little snippets of info here and there. I eat a healthy diet but think that for us 9with Fibro) the necessary minerals and vitamins are not processed as they should be ..... if not why would my supplements make life so much better.

Sorry .... a bit of a ramble and a little off topic but good luck!!!!!!!!!
liv
UKFM Member

Postby Lindiriel » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:40 pm

Many thanks for all the replies.

None of this is allergic reaction. I call it sensitivity because it's not an allergic reaction or even intolerance by the medical definition.

I do have IBS and have had that for many years but it's not diabetes or coeliac disease as those have been ruled out.

Interestingly, I've never been able to pinpoint what foods trigger my IBS either as attacks have always been absolutely random, and seem more in response to anything entering my gut as opposed to specific things.

A friend is sending over some info on diet and other alternative therapies for people with fibro so I shall start wading my way through that. I completely agree with all the points about needing to look at my diet. My major issue is finding something I can tolerate at all. .

I haven't drunk coffee for over 30 years and am practically teetotal and have been for many years. I've just stopped drinking tea so I'll see if that makes a difference. I'm reasonably sure wheat, sugar and diary are in the mix as major culprits, it's just difficult to tell when absolutely anything I eat can make me feel so ill.

I'm going to try eating one food at a time only. So, a jacket potato with no butter or salt or anything and see how I get on. I already started a daily symptom diary so I shall start a food diary too and see if I can determine any patterns.

Many thanks,

Kath
Lindiriel
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:57 pm

Have you had any unpleasant experiences with any of the things you can't eat Kath?? I was wondering if something had happened that could be behind/underlying what is happening at the moment :-? :-? :-?
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Lindiriel » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:28 pm

No, that's the bizarre thing.

I've never had any issues with food making me feel ill. Only coffee and alcohol and I haven't dunk coffee for over 20 years and have alcohol in very small amounts maybe 2 or 3 times a year.

It started with meds and has progressed to food over the last few months, gradually getting to the point in the last week or so where it's become intolerable. I never used to have a problem with meds either, and that has also got progressively worse over the last 2 years. It took me a long time to work out it even was meds as it never occurred to me that this was the cause initially.

I have IBS for years. Mine is characterised by diarrhoea within minutes of finishing a meal, doesn't matter what I've eaten. Sometimes I have to leave the table before I've finished eating. Once that's over, my gut settles and it's rarely continuous. It's usually only the first time I eat during the day not every time, so I'm a lot better off than most. I just learned to control it by being very careful about when and where I eat. I rarely go for meals out but that's my only restriction.

Over the years, I've tried avoiding different foods to see if that's the trigger but I've never been able to pinpoint the cause. I can set off a bout by drinking a glass of water on the bad days. But on the good side, is that once it's done, it's usually over for the day and within manageable limits. I have little or no control over the first bout. (Sorry, TMI)

The nausea and feeling ill seems very similar in the sense it feels like a reaction to anything that goes in my stomach/gut, not a specific food causing the problem. And I have no control over it.

I have wondered if what's happening now has been triggered by a major incident of stomach and iron deficiency problems caused by a combination of Ibubrufen and Omeprazole earlier this year when things reached crisis point. I realised that the whole episode had been building over insidiously for a long time which would explain the gradual sensitivity to meds.

The problem is that I have no idea how to fix it as stopping meds and foods isn't making me feel any better. Actually I feel worse because some of the meds I do need to take to manage other health problems.

So, I'm reasonably certain how I got to this place, but I haven't a clue where to begin fixing it really. Or if it can be fixed.

Plus all the other fibro issues means my energy and motivation to try are non-existent.

Sorry for the self-pitying post.

Kath
Lindiriel
UKFM Member

Postby mel38 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:12 pm

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the posts relating to foods/diet. For the past 4 months I cannot eat any food at until late evening and even then it may just be a biscuit and packet of crisps, I could usually drink coffee during the day and just thought that may be surpressing my appetite but now even 1 cup makes me feel sick ad same as other posts I was a healthy eater.

Seeing this forum and believe the fibro must definately be a cause of these symptoms we have all written about, although had never heard of this before, and no mention from docs ect.

Sorry to hear all you guys have the same problem, I will do some reasearch and re-post if I find any help.

Melanie x
mel38
UKFM Newbie

Postby Lindiriel » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:24 pm

I have just started reading some info about diet by Norah Wickerson. Has anyone tried her programme?
Lindiriel
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia