Sensitivity to food making me feel so ill

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Sensitivity to food making me feel so ill

Postby C4thy » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:13 pm

Hi Kath,

Sorry if I'm repeating what other might have said. I can't read it all as my eyes are too tired.

I could have written your post. I suffer in the same way and can't tolerate food, including water or medication. I have been told different things by various consultants but it was really me trying to work it out for the last 2 years that gave me the biggest insight.

I started by putting myself on the FODMAP elimination diet. You can google it and FB has a friendly group for advice. It helped some of my symptoms but left me being unable to eat most foods. I've had all the tests done short of a biopsy as they can't do it because I'm a haemophiliac. Nothing was picked up.

One day my dietician asked if I was taking enzyme supplements. I had no idea what they were so I googled them. I had to wait 9 months to be seen again so I went looking for them. You can get them in health food shops but beware, most have gluten in them and that is one of my biggest triggers. Holland and Barrett sell one that is gluten free. I take 2 tablets with every meal and I no have some tolerance to my food again. It's not perfect but I can function better day to day. It took about a week before most my symptoms calmed down but between a low (not zero) FODMAP diet and these supplements I am feeling so much better. I'm now pursuing getting gluten free food and the supplements on prescription which should really help.

I don't know if your problems are caused by the same thing but if nothing else it might give you a starting point. No Dr told me any of this, I had to work it all out for myself so I felt that I had to share this with you in case you are having the same problems with your Drs.

I hope you find the answer soon. Cathy xx
C4thy
UKFM Member

Postby Lindenp » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:57 pm

So sorry to hear that you're having such a bad time of it just now.

I too am just going through the process of being diagnosed with IBS as well as the Fibro. :( I had a colonoscopy a few weeks ago which didn't show anything wrong so seeing GP on Wednesday to get probable confirmation of IBS. He's put me on Mebeverine which have helped enormously although I do still get some symptoms.

I have tried to identify what foods seem to spark the stomach pains etc but it doesn't seem to be consistent. Some days one thing is OK the next it's not. At one point I was existing on custard creams and Irn Bru but fizzy drinks seem to be a trigger so I've changed to drinking cordial most of the time. I haven't drunk coffee for a few years now but have also stopped drinking tea too now. I am intending to ask for a referral to a dietician or whatever to help with identifying 'bad' foods for me so if I learn anything useful I'll let you know.

Hope you feel better soon.
Lindenp
UKFM Member

Postby missfit » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:06 pm

Hi

I have severe IBS along with my fibro and over the last few years food has presented real problems for me. Food seems to equal pain in all forms. :-? and associated problems.
I have started researching about the foods that I eat, how foods work in our bodies also vitamins and nutrients. I have discovered some really interesting information especially about grains and sugar.
I have come across the paleo/primal blueprint theories/diet. The more I have read the more it seems to make sense of the food problems I have.
I have ordered two books, one which is "The Paleo Solution" by Robb Wolf and " The Primal Blue Print" by Mark Sisson.
There is lots of info on the net without having to buy the books but I recommend you do have a look, it really does make for jaw dropping reading :yikes:
It seems like it will help deal with the leaky gut syndrome and ease fibro as well.
I will be starting the 30 day plan in January as I have nothing to lose and could ending up feeling better :lol: Will let you know if it helps
missfit
UKFM Newbie

Postby Lochness86 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:52 pm

Hi,

I had a really bad stomach bug a year ago in August and ever since I have so many problems. I have now finally been told that I have IBS and I needed to start to understand what I am intollerant to. I went for an intollerance test which idicated a number of food intollerances but I was told to look at dairy and wheat to start with and start to take more supplements.

I have had a few good days and a few bad days with it so far, the biggest thing was trying to find a milk that I liked to go in my tea - I have found alomond milk which is really nice but I also drink lots of peppermint tea as well which I find does help things.

There is obviously some cost to having the testing but I would really recommend it as it does give you an idea of what you need to do. The only problem now is the cost of buying gluten and dairy free products - you cant get this on prescription when you have IBs

XXX
Lochness86
UKFM Newbie

Postby missfit » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:44 pm

Hi Lochness86

If you read the paleo solution, you don't need to buy gluten/diary free products. You just need to change the way you eat. Give it a go you have nothing to lose but maybe everything to gain :-D
missfit
UKFM Newbie

Postby penfriend » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:56 pm

dear Lindriel, How I sympathise with all you say. I am extremely sensitive to most foods, but after many years of trying different things, have definitely found that taking a digestive enzyme just before eating has been a help. Because of my very weak swallowing muscles, and I cannot chew, TMJ etc., I have to eat mainly soups and liquids anyway, but can usually manage a little chicken in lots of wet gravy to help get it down. One day one feels you can get away with a certain food, then another day, you cannot. Afraid thats how it is. I also have lactose free milk, which has been a help. Hope you can get some improvement. My daughter also now takes digestive enzymes before food and this has helped her IBS.

sincerely, penfriend
penfriend
UKFM Member

Postby mand » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:20 am

Hi ....has the gp suggested a stomach camera.... to see if theres any inflamation in the tummy? are you on any meds to settle stomach acids, years ago i had food poisoning and that triggered a few intollerances, since fibro ive aquired a few more plus ibs and because of anti-inflamitories ive now got gastritis. im on omeprazole and that settles things, when im bad i now double the dose for a while and that suits...

Foods i ieat are fruit, veg, white meat, fish, rice...when i eat other foods oohh boy do i know but i also have cravings last week it was biscuits/bread, i was in agony then annoyed ...i should'nt put them in my mouth but before you know it..it's gone :roll: .
Peppermint oil caps are great they settle bloating and get the burps up (holland and barrett 1\2 price sale ;-))

Have you had tests for allergies/intollerances, also there is a test for the gut bug (sorry i cannot remember name) think your gp needs to start ruling things out medically,has anything cropped up diary wise eg..what you eat,drinks hot/cold, times you eat, i eat fruit inbetween meals and try not to leave too long meal wise...stress dosn't help :shock: gawd :crazy: ... Hope your feeling better and let me know how your getting on, sending my best wishes........mand
mand
UKFM Member

Postby Paula-pixie » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:20 pm

hello everyone, I am newly diagnosed with FM and wish I had come to this forum before jumping into paying out to Norah Wickerson. I paid £80 for a session with her. For me it was a waste of my time (2 hour drive there and back), and money! My husband had to take a day off work to take me. I sent her information via email as requested and she basically spent most of the time reading that out to me. In addition she sold me supplements and did some trigger point massage - which took me three weeks to recover from. I have been sticking to her diet regime - no stimulants, no wheat, eating more regularly etc with the only benefit being my bowels have improved. the pain, energy and lack of sleep all remain the same. I had another appointment with her for September which she has cancelled as she feels she can't help me! I am so disappointed and frustrated and feel I have been duped :(
Paula-pixie
UKFM Newbie

Postby Lindiriel » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:01 pm

I had forgotten about this post as I no longer use this forum on a regular basis. However, to update:

I have seen a huge improvement by eliminating gluten, sugar as much as I can and some nightshades but not all. I am trying to cut out, or at least down, on dairy but this remains a struggle. I eat pretty much a paleo diet with some GAPS meals, the broth particularly, if my gut is upset for any reason. The GAPS broth was a major part of things in the early days when my gut was so hypersensitive for anything I ate or drank. I supplement with L-glutamine for my gut, magnesium, zinc, vit d, vit b12 and a general multi-mineral. I am in the middle of an anti-candida regime. I am off Omeprazole and have been for some months. I take Ranitidine now and then for reflux which is usually caused by eating foods I know don't agree with me.

I have also stopped my painkillers recently and for the first time in longer than I can remember ie over 25 years, I seem to have normal gut function with no diarrhoea.

I still have fibro symptoms and at times the pain is unbearable. I will not take pain killers again though because they don't work and just upset my whole gut. I try to relieve the pain with heat and distraction techniques like deep breathing and binaural beats. My cognitive function has improved dramatically although my short term memory remains very poor. But, I know the difference and it is this that has made the quality of my life so much better.

Sadly, I have achieved all this with little or no support from conventional medicine. In fact, I no longer bother with NHS doctors as they ridicule what has worked for me and advocate only medications that I know will make me ill because that's what already happened to me.
Luckily, the right people to inform, help and support me came into my life just when I needed them. Just local, knowledgable people who have since become friends. This has not been easy but a tough struggle for many months. Would I do it again? Absolutely. The benefits are too great for me to ignore.

I am not saying this is right for everyone, nor is it a miracle cure, but certainly, for me, it has been a life saver.
Lindiriel
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:35 pm

:welcome: to the forum Paula-pixie :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

When looking thru things, I found that you had made 2 identical posts. To save on the confusion and chaos that inevitably follows when people start replying to both posts, I've removed one of them. We do ask members not to post the same message more than once as this may be construed as spamming.

I'm sorry to hear how going to see Norah Wickerson turned out for you :( :( :( Her name and practices don't tend to come up on here very often, as you can tell with the dates of the topics you found.

With you sharing your experiences, should anyone ask about her, we have a recent reference that we can direct them towards.

Lindriel, nice to see you back on here :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave: It's great that you've found ways to improve your condition and health :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: Making dietary changes is a question that pops up fairly often on here, so your update could be helpful for anyone considering making similar changes to those you have made.

It's not right that so many of the "professionals" involved in our healthcare are so dismissive of other treatment approaches. If there was greater acceptance and use of these practices, either as standalone approaches, or used alongside the conventional/pharmaceutical side, it would be interesting to see what the results were.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Tom Snelling » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:20 pm

Lindiriel wrote:I had forgotten about this post as I no longer use this forum on a regular basis. However, to update:

I have seen a huge improvement by eliminating gluten, sugar as much as I can and some nightshades but not all. I am trying to cut out, or at least down, on dairy but this remains a struggle. I eat pretty much a paleo diet with some GAPS meals, the broth particularly, if my gut is upset for any reason. The GAPS broth was a major part of things in the early days when my gut was so hypersensitive for anything I ate or drank. I supplement with L-glutamine for my gut, magnesium, zinc, vit d, vit b12 and a general multi-mineral. I am in the middle of an anti-candida regime. I am off Omeprazole and have been for some months. I take Ranitidine now and then for reflux which is usually caused by eating foods I know don't agree with me.

I have also stopped my painkillers recently and for the first time in longer than I can remember ie over 25 years, I seem to have normal gut function with no diarrhoea.

I still have fibro symptoms and at times the pain is unbearable. I will not take pain killers again though because they don't work and just upset my whole gut. I try to relieve the pain with heat and distraction techniques like deep breathing and binaural beats. My cognitive function has improved dramatically although my short term memory remains very poor. But, I know the difference and it is this that has made the quality of my life so much better.

Sadly, I have achieved all this with little or no support from conventional medicine. In fact, I no longer bother with NHS doctors as they ridicule what has worked for me and advocate only medications that I know will make me ill because that's what already happened to me.
Luckily, the right people to inform, help and support me came into my life just when I needed them. Just local, knowledgable people who have since become friends. This has not been easy but a tough struggle for many months. Would I do it again? Absolutely. The benefits are too great for me to ignore.

I am not saying this is right for everyone, nor is it a miracle cure, but certainly, for me, it has been a life saver.

Hello. I am very glad to see some talk about Gaps protocol here. I have had experience taking people through this and I am here if any need any guidance with it.

Thanks
Resides in Athlone, Wales in GMT timezone.
Free advice Wed-Fri every week.
Tom Snelling
UKFM Newbie

Postby Tom Snelling » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:21 pm

Paula-pixie wrote:hello everyone, I am newly diagnosed with FM and wish I had come to this forum before jumping into paying out to Norah Wickerson. I paid £80 for a session with her. For me it was a waste of my time (2 hour drive there and back), and money! My husband had to take a day off work to take me. I sent her information via email as requested and she basically spent most of the time reading that out to me. In addition she sold me supplements and did some trigger point massage - which took me three weeks to recover from. I have been sticking to her diet regime - no stimulants, no wheat, eating more regularly etc with the only benefit being my bowels have improved. the pain, energy and lack of sleep all remain the same. I had another appointment with her for September which she has cancelled as she feels she can't help me! I am so disappointed and frustrated and feel I have been duped :(

Paula, please contact me.

Thanks
Resides in Athlone, Wales in GMT timezone.
Free advice Wed-Fri every week.
Tom Snelling
UKFM Newbie

Previous

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia