...The saga continues - recent GP visit.

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Postby Iceskatemum » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:27 am

On other threads I have been letting folks know how my life has been over the last few weeks , with new ESA claims, run ins with GP's and generally feeling that life and the universe was against me.

Today I had my most recent visit to my GP surgery, I was really not looking forward to it , given I'd had a difficult time with one of the GP during a telephone conversation. I ask OH to come with me but at the last minute he wasn't able to make it so I had to venture into the lions den all on my own.

This time I was seeing a GP I haven't seen in quite a while , when I did go to him many years ago we always got on well but given I had lost my faith in the surgery I was still a nervous wreck.

the first thing he did was ask how I was .....which prompted me bursting into tears and just sobbing like an idiot.

I explained as best I could about the FM and he picked up the rest from my notes.

He did make one comment which I found strange when I said I had different types of pain . ..... the constant from my back + the constant from the FM + the flare when I did too much (which is basically at least part of every week) .He said that constant pain isn't part of FM? Given what I've read on this forum , others seem to have this constant pain as well as me . I have picked this up right ..haven't I, I'm not the only one ?

The result was he has changed my daily meds although he did say that with being on the butrans patch, other meds such as co-codamol /tramadol might not work as well as they should , as they all act on the same receptors . However has also given me long acting Tramadol for breakthrough AND has referred me to a pain clinic!!!

In addition he has sorted the ESA fit note issue out, by backdating my note to include the 7 days the ESA folks needed covered! i.e from last Friday . ( full explaination on ESA thread)

If he didn't have a fancy car parked in the car park I would be looking for a white charger as he really has acted like my Prince Charming and come to the rescue. lets just now hope that the pain clinic take FM cases and I can at least get to see someone fairly soon.

May be :xmastree1: might not be as bad as I was thinking it may be.

:-D ISM
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby pinky1 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:38 am

Haven't been keeping up, but great to hear you had a positive response!
X
pinky1
UKFM Member

Re: ...The saga continues - recent GP visit.

Postby LouLou » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:18 am

ISM

I've read a few off your posts and I really do feel for you. Having FM is bad enough but when you can't get the support you need from GP's and other professionals you do tend to feel a bit beaten.

I'm failrly lucky in that my GP has always been really understanding and listened without making me feel silly. Now you've found a good doctor, maybe everytime you need to see a GP you could just book in to see him? I always see the same doctor purely because I don't want to have to explain everything everytime I go there (and I go so often I may qualify for my own parking space soon lol)

As for his comment on pain, I think as all of us are so different he is probably basing that on the few who don't feel the pain constantly. I personally am in pain all the time, every single hour of every single day. It's just the intensity that changes, somedays I'm able to function relatively ok, other days I'm confined to the sofa. As for painkillers, I'm on Tramadol and Co Codamol 2 of each 4 times a day. My GP and I find this is the best combination for me as I don't tend to suffer side effects and I can still work and take them. If you haven't had Tramadol before, the one thing I will say is make sure you have a few biscuits or something before taking them as they can make you feel a bit sick when you first start on them.

I'm so glad you have someone who has finally listened to you and sorted out your ESA, that must be a huge weight off your shoulders and mind! There's nothing worse than being in as much pain as we do and having things bothering us and getting us down.

I have everything crossed for you ISM. Let us know how the pain clinic goes as this is something I'm thinking of asking my GP to refer me to in the New Year.

Lou
xx
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby monica » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:45 pm

Great to hear your Doctor is listening and helping. I'd like to know how you get on at the pain clinic it's something I've never tried.

Good luck!
monica
UKFM Member

Postby masonsbarms » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:09 pm

hi ism, im so glad to hear you had a good result from gp, and you are getting nearer the help and getting your esa sorted fingers crossed that will go smoothly,

as for the constant pain i do get constant pain but it may not be in the same place from one minute to the other so i dont get that what he said, as you say alot of us complain of constant pain.

ist confusing when the medical profetion differ so much in what they tell us we suffer from when how the heck do they know how we feel realy,

and as for being a idiot for breaking bown we are all in the same boat as i have burst out crying alot at appointments so dont beat yourself up about that its normal i think,

hope things continue in the right direction for you and your family.

take care xx
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Postby denys » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:29 pm

I get constant pain too then it will move so :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: Glad you have such a positive experience this time and I hope its restored your faith in the practice a little :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Iceskatemum » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:49 pm

Thanks folks for you lovely replies. I had been seeing the same GP for most of my visits since she DX me in Feb but as she is a busy working mum who is there P/T ....getting her for appointments is like gold dust.

I have to go back in January so will ring for an appointment with either her or this most recent doc when the books open at the beginning of the month.

I do hope that the pain clinic take FM referrals, I thought I remembered reading somewhere that as it is a chronic condition NICE has decreed FM should be managed at GP level but then I hear of others going to various different clinic so I don't know what to think. I have to say I would even be prepared to go see the consultant privately if it was to mean that my meds etc were sorted out.
Thanks LouLou for the tip about biscuits , I would have bad nausea quite a bit and take a med to help me but have also discover Nairns Ginger Oat biscuits which are great. tasty and as healthy as any biscuit can be given it is an oatcake :lol:

May be I didn't explain myself re the pain, have been finding the more I am under stress the less coherent I seem to have become. OH gives up at times and jokes he will zone back in again once I have rebooted!

Thanks again

hugs

ISM
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby shazq » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:42 pm

Hi ISM

Glad you got to see an understanding Gp, it does make a big difference.

I am another who is constantly in pain, my pain will travel throughout my body.

:goodluck1: on your new meds.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Iceskatemum » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:00 pm

Thanks Shazq, I have to admit having had teh chat with this Doc does seem to have dampened a lot of my worreis etc. he changed my meds around quite a bit and like most others seem to be experiencing more side effects increased tiredness but not sleeping, headaches dry mouth which is making talking more dificult . Lets hope they go away soon as the pain definatley seems to have been reduced.

For anyone out there on Pentagabalin (Lyrica) what does of meds do you find effective to numb or take away you pain symptoms. Presently I take 150mg and was advised by the Gp when I had the telephone appointment to increase up by another 75mg. I tried this but the pain evels and associated ill effects which made doing so very hard. I am therefore back doen to may maintenence dosage of 1 x75mg twice a day. The last GP I saw reackoned that wasn't near enough and 300mg would be a minimum effective dose.
Anybody agree with him or from your own experience do you take less than the 300 he recommended . I just find it very difficult to up from this dose without horrendous side effects.

Thanks again

X
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby denys » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:33 am

Hi ISM I'm on Lyrica, Pregablin and take 300mg it took a while to get up to this level, so all I would say is just take it slow and you will get there :-D :-D :-D
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby millymoodoo » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:32 am

Hi ISM

I am really pleased that you have been finally referred to the pain clinic. From my own experience they have been really helpful and have swapped and changed my meds to get me onto the right drug and dose for me. They dont get you to try pain meds for a long period just to see if it works, my consultant says that if you dont get a result within a week then they need to be changed. At the pain clinic that i attend they have sessions for patients with fibro, the last lot of tender point injections i had there were about 20 other patients in the ward that were waiting for the same treatment which gives you some encouragement that fibro is being taken seriously. I have been going to for the pain clinic now for about 18 months and they are not afraid to try different meds on their patients. I didnt realise until quite recently that the consultant and dr's working in the pain clinic are actually anaethetists which is probably why they are confident in the drugs they try on you. I find that the gp's are scared when using pain meds in case you become addicted to them where as the pain clinic say that you wont become addicted as long as you are only taking them for pain and not to enhance your mood.

I really hope you get the results that i got, i was so scared about going but for me they have been excellent, they dont rush you and they listen to what problems you are having. They then write to your go suggesting what drugs and dosage to start you on. Its odd that you have to wait for your gp to prescribe the drugs for you, apparently they are not allowed to prescribe the drugs they recommend at your appointment so you have to wait to see your gp which can be delayed. I am on Oxycodone 80mg slow release twice a day and oxcodone 10mg up to 4 times a day for breakthrough pain and this is helping to keep my pain to a manageable level. Like you my pain is all the time so i dont understand what your gp means, though we are all different. I think if it is kept at a managable level we can cope. Do you have any young gp's at your surgery? The reason i ask is if your gp did their training after 1990 then they will have studied fibro and totally understand the condition but if they trained before that they will only know what they have picked up and it tends to be the older gp's that think it is all in our minds!!!!!

I really hope you have a good experience with the pain clinic and they can get your pain to a manageable level!! :goodluck2:

Milly xxx :-)
Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them get up!!! When life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!! Everyday is a gift which is why we call it the present
millymoodoo
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:10 pm

Thanks Milly , I am so relieved to get the referral now I will just be on tenderhooks until I get a date. I have been to a pain guy before about my back and so I know about them being anethetists and good about drugs/meds .
I guess if you are a GP you see so many different illness' that you go for the low dose approach to try and achieve a result but would also get about them not being confident enough to prescribe the higher dose /stonger type pain meds . When I had the phonce consultation with the other GP from the practice I really got the feeling that she thought I was a junkie and over selling the pain I was in.

Will let you know how things progress

thanks again

Hugs
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby Iceskatemum » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:27 am

Well folks hAve my appointment at the pain clinic on 18th February . :-D :-D although pleased it was an an urgent apppointment, it still seems ages away, as I'm still having difficulties regulating my pain but I think that is partly due to not being able to pace very well . I know that the consultant won't be able to wave a magic wand but some how just getting to see someone who knows about chronic pain is giving me a feeling of hope.

Lets hope the time goes quickly.
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby LouLou » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:26 am

ISM so glad you've got an appointment.

I know what you mean though, the date sounds like it's close but when you put it on your calender it's ages away lol. I've been quite lucky in the area I live in as all my appointments have arrived fairly quickly but I've heard so many horror stories about waiting for months and months! Don't you just love the NHS? lol

I can't pace myself very well either, I'm better than I used to be but my body tells me otherwise lol.

Can you post an update about the pain clinic when you've had your appointment please? I'm thinking of asking my GP at my next review about refrerring me but I don't know much about it.

Take Care xx
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby Iceskatemum » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:32 am

Will do LouLou, I'm like a kid at christmas about it, just willing it to come round. I'v been to this consultant before and got epidurals & facet joint injection in my lower back which seemed to do the trick for quite a few months and it took care of that specific pain. Just hope that he can come up with something else for the FM.

HAve also just received a letter offering me a place on a six week managing your pain course. Its run by a local charity (they must get Gov funding or something) so am going to accept that. Every session 2.5 hrs long which might be a problem as sitting in one place can make my back and FM worse but given they are dealing with people in pain they must be used to people getting up and about from time to time.

Its all go at the moment .....hopefully 2013 will be the year I get on top of everything !
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia