Time for action

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Time for action

Postby davecooper » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:37 pm

I have documented my eight years suffering from Fibromyalgia type symptoms on here previously so I won't go into those again. Suffice to say that an episode a few months ago spurred me in to seeing an alternate Doctor to my own (who is not a great believer in such conditioms). The new Doctor referred me immediately to a Rheumatologist. I finally got to see him three months later! I had an examination, xrays, scan and blood tests. It now looks like I am going to be waiting another three months to see him again. It has been ten weeks now since I last saw him so I will chase this up first thing in the new year.

However, as I have heard nothing yet and he will obviously have all the results back by now, I would assume there is nothing seriously wrong with me and as such it looks like I will be sorting my problems out myself. I'm happy to do this and this is why I am now drawing up an action list as a New Years resolution. This will be a list of the steps I am going to take to try and help me feel better and a diary of how effective these seem to be. I don't want to suddenly try everything at once, just gently introduce things as I go along. The first thing is going to be a regular exercise routine. Being ex armed services, I have always been pretty fit, However, I have let that slip a bit over the past couple of years, mainly due to how I felt. However, I am now going to draw up a structured exercise plan with the help of my daughter, who is a fitness instructor, and hopefully start easy and build up as the year goes on, I do know that the right exercise does make me feel better.

Along with the exercise, I want to initially try one other thing. Whether it be Yoga, massage, some form of herb or a change of diet. Just something to run alongside the physical stuff. I would be grateful if I could get some recommendations as to what it would be worth trying in the first instance. What have people generally found to be the most effective treatment for easing the symptoms of this condition, especially the Fibro Fog problem? Any help would be appreciated. Sorry for the long post but I do want to start feeling better and my New Years resolution is to try and make that so. Thanks.
davecooper
UKFM Newbie

Re: Time for action

Postby fatalrazkaz » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:36 pm

Just out of curiosity were you diagnosed with Fibro eight years ago by a Rheumatologist or have you not had a diagnosis yet? I have had Fibro for 20 years but due to incompetent doctors I wasn't diagnosed until Feb of this year when another doctor straight away referred me to Rheumatology when I told him what my symptoms were. I had never heard of it until then. It was a great relief to have a name but I was also very angry at my own doctor who has fobbed me off for the last 20 years, hence I dont see her any more I see the other doctor. The Rheumatologist did x-rays, blood tests and a physical examination. She told me there and then that I had Fibro and that I also had Osteo-Arthritis. I didn't have to wait for any results. I did though have to wait three months to see her again, that is standard. Yours should have sent your results to your doctor if there is anything untoward going on.
fatalrazkaz
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:11 pm

Hi Dave, have you thought about cutting out caffiene, it has been mentioned on the forum before, but Lisa has just made a new post this past week and she thought it was helping her especially with the fogginess etc. Maybe this would be worth trying together with your exercise regime lets know how you get on :fingerscrossed: and :goodluck1:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby davecooper » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:09 pm

No, I have never been diagnosed with FM but have had the symptoms for eight years. Over those years I have had some very strange but relatively short lived episodes which were investigated by my Doctor but with nothing found. Just as an example, about five years ago, I suddenly, and I mean within minutes, became flushed all over and my skin became hot to the touch. You could actually feel the heat radiating from my skin from a couple of inches. My Doctor thought I may have had Carcinoid Syndrome but found nothing. Three months later, literally overnight it went, never to return. I have had a number of different episodes such as this but with nothing found. The one that drove me to see the new Doctor was I had two frozen shoulders within 18 months which is quite rare. However, the Doctor did say that autoimmune diseases such as FM can trigger a frozen shoulder. When I told him about the constant muscle aches, brain fog and tiredeness he immediately referred me.

Cutting out Caffeine may actually be something worth trying and I think I will give this a go. The reason this sounds like a good idea to me is that one of the episodes I mentioned above was a racing heartbeat. About a year ago I began having these attacks which would happen out of the blue about once a week and would last for two to three minutes. During the attack, I would feel quite ill but afterwards, once everything had returned to normal, I felt fine. My Doctor could find no reason for the attacks and said my heart is fine. This lasted about six months and had not returned since. However, knowing how Caffeine can affect these things, this may be a good partner to the exercises. Might be hard at first but it may be worth it.
davecooper
UKFM Newbie

Postby pixieminx » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:06 pm

Hi Dave
Definitely try to cut out caffeine, it has certainly helped me. Also I take multi-vitamins and fish oil to help my immune system and eat as healthily as possible. Lots of green veg and protein. I cut out wheat, potatoes, tomatoes, yeasts, vinegar and alcohol too which has helped but obviously one at a time to be sure it helps improve things. I cut down sugar and find dark chocolate picks me up when I'm exhausted. I make sure I walk every day if possible to keep from getting too stiff even when I'm really slow and it's painful I just take my time and rest afterwards. Also keeps you positive if you get out regularly. Had fibro for 12 years but improving and on no medication. Only diagnosed this year as most docs don't have a clue :roll: so have done my own research. Also I get racing heartbeat sometimes. I hope this is of some help and you start feeling better soon. :-D
pixieminx
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:17 pm

Hi you mention yoga, well i know that paletis is a mild form of yoga better for fibro just an idea for you.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby fibrobilly » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:44 pm

The only herb I found that helped with the pain was the illegal one, I have not yet found anything to help with Fibro fog,at the pain clinic I was told that exercise for me would make my muscles worse, I know everybody is different, I know of Fibromites who are in wheelchairs full time as a said everyone is different so see what works for you.
Take care
John H
fibrobilly
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:13 pm

I think with your positivity Dave you will get some rewards keeping :fingerscrossed: for you What a good start you are going to make to 2013 so :goodluck1:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Flash » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:35 am

A good multivitimin, an excercise plan that you are putting together, good diet and cutting down on caffiene etc is a good start. Ginko Bilupa is renowned for it's ability to help with memory and circulation but make sure with a GP before taking anything complimentary as some can have contraindications when taking orthodox medicines.

Good luck!!
Flash
UKFM Member

Postby davecooper » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:42 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone. This is the first time I will have a structured plan for trying to beat this thing. I will be slowly introducing the things that people have recommended as the year progresses and keeping a diary of how I feel on a weekly basis. I have tried a number of things in the past but in a haphazard fashion and not giving anything time to work. Anyway, I will post back as the year goes on and report anything that I find helps.
In the meantime, thanks to all and I wish you all a happy Christmas and a pain free New Year.
davecooper
UKFM Newbie

Postby davecooper » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:46 pm

Well, I eventually got to see the Rheumatologist for a follow up appointment, I had "got lost in the system" apparently. Anyway, he told me that my last blood test had shown some signs of inflamation. He mentioned a condition that may cause this along with my other symptoms but I cannot remember the name. He put me on a course of Steroids in case it was this condition and he also put me on a course of the Proton Pump Inhibitor Omeprazole, to combat possible side effects of the Steroids I think. I went back after a month to tell him there had been no improvement in my symptoms, at which point he said his best diagnosis is Fibro and this is what he would be telling my GP. So that's that!

I have told him about the self help I am embarking on which he agreed with. He also wants to try and improve my sleep as he says this can be very beneficial in many cases. He is going to suggest a night time relaxant to help me relax at night. I'm not sure what this will be but I will give it a go.

One of the problems I had been having recently was acid reflux and heartburn and this was making life miserable at times, especially at night. The Omeprazole, which I found out is for exactly this condition, instantly and totally stopped the acid reflux and I had four weeks of blissful freedom from this. A week after finishing the course, the heartburn is back. I am going to speak to my GP about this as this alone would give me a better nights sleep.

Anyway, I am glad that the Doctors know what I have now and I don't have to go through negative test after negative test each time I go to a GP. I can now move on.
davecooper
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:17 pm

Glad you've finally got some answers Dave, definitely see your GP about continuing with the omerprazole with it helping. Quite a few of us take a Proton Pump Inhibitor long term for the reflux problems etc our various meds can cause :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

There are several possible things/meds that the rheumy could mean to try and help with your sleep. Whichever one it is, give it a good go and hopefully, along with your self help, you'll soon have this condition behaving more like you want it to :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:35 pm

Good that you finally have a diagnosis Dave and that he agreed with your positivity, I hope all is going to plan and that you have got omeprazole again I take it and cant do without :-D :-D :-D :-D
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Iceskatemum » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:24 am

Good luck with things also on acid reflux tab and anti nausea couldn't do without. How is the exercise going ? Sorry you have officially joined the club but good to hear from you again?
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia