New bed & mattress

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

New bed & mattress

Postby KellyBelly » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:14 pm

Hi all

I hope you are all doing as well as possible and that you all had a lovely Christmas. I know I'm not a prolific poster on here, but I was wondering f I could ask for your advice. (My apologies - I'm sure this topic has already been covered, but my internet connection is shocking atm and I can't search properly on my phone!)

So a few months ago my bed broke - it was a very old divan and me & the mattress finally went through the bed frame......my OH found this amusing - I was less pleased! :lol: My family have given us a small budget to get us a new bed, and we think if we shop in the sales - we might be able to stretch to a new mattress too (the one on the broken divan is older than me....and we're currently just sleeping on the mattress on the floor. Getting up each morning is a bit of a task!)

What do you fibromites suggest?

1. Divan, wood or metal frame?

2. Wooden slats or sprung base?

3. Firm, soft or other mattress?

My budget is ok, but not great - so I might have to just get the bed frame for now and save up for a new mattress - but any advice would be much appreciated!

Thank you x
KellyBelly
UKFM Member

Re: New bed & mattress

Postby lolabolla » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:22 pm

I have a metal frame bed at the moment, it looks good but I hate the thing.

I use a lot of pillows to 'prop' me up but they soon push through the metal headboard and I am forever having to mess about with the pillows.

The bed also has wood slats and every time I move or turn over it makes the loudest squeeks and pings..............................

My last bed was a divan and I was more than happy with it.

My next project in the house is to have the bedroom walls skimmed, I'll be buying a new divan bed then too.

Lola xx
lolabolla
UKFM Member

Postby jane.k » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:36 pm

hi, i have a memory foam mattress and i love it. i find it very comfortable and wouldnt change back to a spring mattress.
jane.k
UKFM Member

Postby rie » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:43 pm

i wud go to one of the big bed shops n try out the beds they have on show, might get beta idea wat wud suit u, gud luck, hav fun tryin them out :sleep: x
rie
UKFM Newbie

Postby helen w » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:47 pm

Memory foam every time!
I bought a tempur bed which is adjustable...expensive but SO worth it. I honestly think I would have done away with myself without it! It is the only thing that gives me any comfort especially when having a flair. The onlynproblem is if I stay anywhere else I can't get comfortable!
Good luck xxxxxxxxxx
helen w
UKFM Member

Postby Beccie42 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:00 pm

I have a sprung matress with a memory foam layer in it. it is the comfyest bed ever. Beware tho as some can make you very hot. My frame is a very sturdy wooden one with wooden slats that blot to the frame. its very stable. if i didnt have that i would have a divan. i struggle getting in and out tho as many are too high.
Beccie42
UKFM Member

Postby lincx » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:10 pm

if you you a tempur memory foam mattress and you have a permanent disability you can claim vat relief on it. it's is the only make I'm aware of that you can get it on as it's recognised by the British medical association. it's not off the bed though, just the mattress.
not all shops hold the forms so you may have to apply to HMRC direct to exclaim the VAT.
I think beds are such an individual thing and you need t go and lay on on to try it out. not I the shop window preferably lol
hope you find one. you like xx
lincx
UKFM Newbie

Postby Niblet » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:22 pm

tempur all the way.............can't sleep on anything else
Niblet
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:05 pm

Hi
If you cant afford an expensive mattress go for the best one you can then buy a memory foam topper they work just as good and give you a comfy nights sleep.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby KellyBelly » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:36 pm

Thank you all for your help! Much appreciated :-)

We've been and bought one - we bounced on many and found one which we both loved. This one: http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st ... ber=511179

Soooooooo comfy! We tried a tempur mattress & did the "tempur experience" in Dreams on the moveable beds with massage etc.....oh my goodness! If we had £3000-odd I would've bought one there and then!! :sleep:

Overall we got a fab deal - the matress, new bed frame, delivery, 4 pillows and a mattress topper for £500 - gotta love discount days and slightly dippy (but LOVELY) sales assistants who put through the discount twice......!! :lol:

Roll on 9th Jan - I WANT MY NEW BED!!
KellyBelly
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:46 pm

Glad you found a comfy one in the end. Happy sleeping :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :lol: :lol:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby denys » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:46 pm

Sounds fab :-D :-D :-D :-D
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby C4thy » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:23 pm

I second trying a memory foam mattress topper if you have a budget. I loved mine so much that I saved up for the mattress and I've never looked back. I do wish I still had my divan though as the fancy looking frame drives me nuts when I want to sit up. A solid headboard, or even the wall, are far better.
C4thy
UKFM Member

Postby moonhare » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:01 pm

oh definately, definately a tempur mattress.
before I bought mine I was in agony - particularly on my hips - when I woke up on a morning - and often through the night too - and was only too glad to get out of bed.
But this tempur mattress on a solid divan base is fully supportive and makes me feel weightless, rested, and I sleep better.
moonhare
UKFM Member

Postby spookyauger26lrP23 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:25 am

i know it's late but just a heads up, ill go for the wood divan its very comfortable for me and very relaxing, i can sleep well also. For reference only i bought mine in The World Of Beds website where they sell different kinds of divan beds, mattresses etc.
spookyauger26lrP23
UKFM Newbie

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia