Over active mind!

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Over active mind!

Postby Fibro Fi » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:40 pm

Hi All,
I just wondered if anyone else suffers from an over active mind? It is driving me crazy at the moment as my mind is constantly churning which is obviously not good when I'm trying to get to sleep. I am not sure why it is happening. I don't feel stressed, my life is quite quiet and I am learning to pace myself better and I rest each afternoon. My pain has reduced considerably since I've altered my diet although the fatigue still fluctuates. Any suggestions?
Cheers,
Fiona.
Fibro Fi
UKFM Member

Re: Over active mind!

Postby valiumval » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:04 pm

Hey, I get exactly the same thing, although when I need my mind to work it's a complete blank :-D
I'm almost in the habit of waiting until its time to sleep and then suddenly remembering and thinking about all the stuff I've forgotten to do that day or need to do the next, I'm constantly reaching for my phone to set reminders for work, kids school etc lol it feels like I can never switch it off, even if I've nothing relevant to think about I think about random stuff like wondering if I'd not be attacked during a zombie apocalypse because of my stiff walking an fibro fog :lol:
I don't have any cures unfortunately, I will keep an eye on this post to see if any one else does :)
X
valiumval
UKFM Member

Postby paulamcl » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:28 pm

Hi get that all the time. I downloaded a free hynotherapy pain management app on my phone ( i will give anything a try ) and it seems to work most of the time. The 1st part gets you to relax from toe to head then she mumbles about stuff after that but by that time im usually snoozing so hopefully my subconcious takes in the rest :lol: At least im not the only one thats thinks that and the zombie apocalypse :yikes:
paulamcl
UKFM Member

Postby spencebel » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:50 pm

Me too.
Soon as i go to bed ,it starts, i even think of bad things,like either myself or OH been taken ill,going through everything at hospital,it becomes so real,i go itnto a sweat/panic.
I would love to know why this happens,i keep thinking i am going mad!!!!!!
spencebel
UKFM Member

Postby SharonL42 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:53 pm

I get this all the time but esp when I wake up in the middle of the night. It's almost impossible to get back to sleep cos my mind goes into overdrive.
I try to relax my body & think of my calming place ...the place where you feel most relaxed. I also try repeating an insignificant word over & over in my head.... 'and', 'the' or 'it' work well as they don't tend to trigger other thoughts.
It doesn't always work mind you....but I keep trying :smile:
Sharon xx

Keep Smiling :-)
Keep Smiling :)
SharonL42
UKFM Member

Over active mind!

Postby pol20 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:54 pm

ditto to all the above, last night my eyes were so heavy I headed off to bed then PING my head was full of everything! I was still awake at 5am just willing the tiredness I get in the day to hit me when it should! x
pol20
UKFM Member

Postby isitme » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:35 am

i have played bingo, read news online, come on here everything................

took the sleerpers 4 hours ago........

will have to go back to it all again..
isitme
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:53 am

Yep check out the time of this post, cannot stop my mind and sleep so have given in and got up again :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Over active mind!

Postby logue82 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:45 am

Yep me too! Only thing helps me sometimes is if I scribble it down in a notepad.
logue82
UKFM Member

Postby Fibro Fi » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:46 am

Phew! At least I'm not the only one!
Paula, what is the name of that app that you use, sounds good.
Well, I was still awake at 4 am this morning! Have managed 2 hours sleep and going to try to go back to sleep in a minute, but my sleep
pattern is all over the place at the minute.
Maybe I need to stop my afternoon naps now :?:
My body has slowed down, no choice, but I need my mind to slow down!
Thanks for your replies.
Fibro Fi
UKFM Member

Postby kitten » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:55 am

When I went on a core stability course part of it was a 10 minutes relaxing at the end where we would go in to a quite room sit on chairs she would then turn the lights low we then had to close our eyes and when she said a colour we had to think of what it brought to mind red green blue yellow brown .well it might have worked for one or two of us ,but not for me all I was thinking don't like any of those colours and I bet my OH is getting very fed up by now sat in the car wonder if he got all the shopping and so on
kitten
UKFM Member

Postby millymoodoo » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:42 am

paulamcl wrote:Hi get that all the time. I downloaded a free hynotherapy pain management app on my phone ( i will give anything a try ) and it seems to work most of the time. The 1st part gets you to relax from toe to head then she mumbles about stuff after that but by that time im usually snoozing so hopefully my subconcious takes in the rest :lol: At least im not the only one thats thinks that and the zombie apocalypse :yikes:

Hi

I too use hynotherapy, my sister downloaded me quite a few onto my mp4 player!!! There are are some for relaxation, pain relief, weight loss and stress busters. Its odd as sometimes you cant even hear anything or there is a light whisper in the background but i find them extremly relaxing. The first time i listened to one of them i must have fallen asleep but i dreamt i was in the middle of the ocean with waves splashing by and the faint sound of birds which was so relaxing. I told my sister about this and she said it was probably one of the recordings as one of them comes with a lot of sea noises etc. It has really helped me to cope most of the time and it really does help with my sleep. If i wake in the night and cant get back off again i just put on my mp4 and i am away again. It was hard at first to get used to the whispers in the background as i didnt know what they were saying but now it really doesnt bother me. My sister was saying that those whispers are taken in by my subconcious mind and used accordingly. Its not something you can listen to if you are driving or doing something that you need to be totally alert for but any other time is perfect.

Millyxxx :-)
Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them get up!!! When life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!! Everyday is a gift which is why we call it the present
millymoodoo
UKFM Member

Postby just-me » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:24 pm

Try reading in bed for 20 minutes or longer if you can't put it down. It helps to trick your mind into not going over things.
Rabbit Forum for over 16's.

http://rabbitrendezvous.co.uk/
just-me
UKFM Member

Postby TATT » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:39 pm

I have this on and off, I have found I can't use the computer anytime after 8-9pm or else my mind gets activated. I have also got a meditation music I listen to that I bought and it slows down the brainwaves before I go to sleep.

I find that meditating is helping me train my brain to stop, it's not easy but it helps. I also will try reading a book before sleep to tire out my eyes. Another thing I do is if I can't stop thinking I very slowly go over my day in detail from waking up and drinking my coffee etc and watch it like a film.

It helps the brain to process the day. Other than that it's a Valium which I have read are now being linked to Alzeimers which is the last thing we need.

Tatt x
TATT
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:42 pm

My mind never stops :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: Even when I just sit down for a few mins, it goes up another gear :facepalm: :facepalm: A lot of what goes thru it tho is completely irrelevant to what is currently happening to me. It tends to be recollections of previous things and happenings along with what I could/might have done when they occured :shock: :shock: All completely pointless as, so far, I haven't manage to calculate time travel so I can go back and change my own history :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Night time is the worst, like last night where I had very little sleep as I couldn't get settled or comfortable in any place or any position :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia