Nightmares

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Nightmares

Postby goldenlou » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:27 pm

I have the most vivid nightmares that wake me up (that is after I get to sleep occasionally) and they are so terrifying,
I wake up in the most terrible pain which goes through my whole body from top to bottom, like a scanner! When this
happens, all I can do is wait for the pain to pass, i cant move or stop it, its as though im paralyised, it feels like intense
sunburn. Has anyone else had this? ive heard its trauma leaving your body, and im sure that past events have caused my
fm problems and they are all coming out now.
goldenlou
UKFM Member

Re: Nightmares

Postby jennthefunkyranger » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:54 pm

I've had the waking up paralysed before, usually if I've dreamed I'm being strangled or something, and then woken up having an asthma attack. Luckily not very often, but I always sleep with my inhaler by my bed.

I'm having a phase of weird dreams at the moment.
jennthefunkyranger
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:32 am

I do have the weird dreams and wired mind but I dont get the paralysis but others have mentioned it before, use the search function to find the other threads
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Iceskatemum » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:30 am

Some of the pain meds have given me very weird and very realistic dreams .
Not a good one at remembering dreams but OH has had to waken me quite a few times as I have been shouting out and wimpering in my dream. Thankfully hasn't happened in a while ......although haven't had much sleep either :-D
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby LouLou » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:49 am

Hi goldenlou

I'm not sure if this is the same things as what you are experiencing, but over the last year I've had the same reoccuring nightmare and it really freaks me out. I'm lying in bed in the dark on my own and although I can't actually see anyone in the room I can actually feel something that's pure evil. In my dream I try and scream but no sound comes out so I try and wake myself by moving but I'm paralysed and can't move at all, all the while screaming. A couple of times the other half has been able to wake me and said I was actually screaming and thrashing about :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: Not the nicest thing for him to have happen in the middle of the night lol.

I don't feel the pain you described but I'm paralysed with fear when I wake and it takes me hours to get back to sleep. It's always the same dream and I've noticed it happens when I've been particularly stressed out or worried about things.

Not sure of that helps.
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby shazq » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:32 pm

Have you checked your medication to see if they list nightmares as a side affect?
I cant remember the name of a med i was one but it gave me very bad nightmares, my gp took me off the med & the nightmares stopped.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby goldenlou » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:28 am

Thanks for replies. I'm not on any medication as I cant function the next day if I take amitrip or sleeping pills. I manage on
ibroprofen and only take them occasionally. Iv'e had nightmares on and off for years and thats not to do with any medication.
I was really just asking if anyone had the pain I experience when they are woken up. Its like an enormous wave of pain that
goes from head to toe or the other way round and I cant do anything except wait for it to pass. Its the most frightening horrible
experience you could imagine. Luckily it only comes now and then, not every day. Ive recognised that I get an attack like that
if anything has happened to upset me.
goldenlou
UKFM Member

Postby viota » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:31 pm

yes i get these paralysis nightmares all the time.very scary i wake up not being able to breath (i have asthma)Its scary .
viota
UKFM Member

Postby suelynn » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:23 pm

A couple of years ago i had the most terrifying nightmares which had me waking up under the bed curled up like a child, something i wouldnt be able to do when awake because of arthritis. At the time i was suffering from very bad depression and the nightmares where because of something that had happened in my childhood, i was lucky in at the time i had a nurse visiting each wk who referred me to a (sorry carnt think what they are called) but it helped to talk with her, and no more nightmares. Also some medications can cause nightmares so a visit to your GP would be a good start.

GOOD LUCK
suelynn
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia