I forget to breathe

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

I forget to breathe

Postby Tribefanuk » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:26 pm

Does anyone else have this experience?
Every now and then I take a gasp, it feels like I forgot to take a breath not really panic just forgot. It happens when I'm awake, walking around the shop, sitting reading or watching tv, no particular activity brings it on. not sure if I do it when asleep
Tribefanuk
UKFM Newbie

Re: I forget to breathe

Postby NellyB » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:46 pm

Yes, I do it all the time, plus I breathe very shallowly apparently! :shock:
NellyB
UKFM Newbie

Postby paulamcl » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:21 pm

not during the day when im awake but when im sleeping i do. i wake up gasping for breath and its as if i have fluid in my lungs as tho im drowning is that makes sense :( :( x
paulamcl
UKFM Member

Postby Jules9165 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:28 pm

Yea! I was starting to worry about it, but now I know other Fibro buddies get it I doe't feel so bad. I just sometimes have to take a massive deep breath. Jx
Jules9165
UKFM Newbie

I forget to breathe

Postby Aneary » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:38 am

I get this too in fact just been through a sleep apnea test which came back negative, they said its possibly linked to the fibro due to shallow breathing

Xx
Aneary
UKFM Member

Postby Flash » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:53 am

I have asthma so shallow breathing and 'forgetting' to breathe is not a good thing. I get that more at night but it does happen during the day. I've been told I sigh a lot too which is also do do with it.

I do the breathing excercises designed for asthma and is also used in yoga etc. If you tap breathing excercises in to google, you will find some help.

We breathe automatically but sometimes our subconcious kicks in and upsets everything. By deep breathing and counting each breath in and out, it will train your body to do it automatically and you will be able to breathe deeper normally and the 'forgetting' will stop.

Hope this helps.
Flash
UKFM Member

Postby niknok » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:29 am

I do this too it has been happening quite some time now. It happens in the daytime some days it happens a lot and other days may not be so much. I find its worse during flare ups, i was worried at first but then just put it down to shallow breathing and anxiety. I msut say i feel even more at ease now i know i am not the only one suffering with this.
niknok
UKFM Newbie

Postby Soapbubbles » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:25 pm

Hi All
I've had this from time to time as well sometimes during the day, but mostly at night when I can't sleep.
I did find I was worse when I was taking codeine and paracetamol.
Soapbubbles
UKFM Member

Postby chookie » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:05 am

I do too! Just realised that I do it, but then I get anxiety anyway, strange symptoms eh?
Fibromyalgia, M.E, IBS, General Anxiety Disorder, Dyspraxia, Discalculia
chookie
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia