Staying in the same position

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Staying in the same position

Postby Ginafaye » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:49 am

Does anyone sufffer more pain if they are staying in the same position for long periods of time? Sitting,standing,lying down, going on the computer.. I have always been a fidget,and get distracted easily and always moving about but have found that recently i HAVE to move because cant get comfortable get in alot of pain and feel like i am seezing up.. I also struggle with feeling like i cant hold my back up.. its hard to explain.. its like i dont have the strength to sit with the right posture so i end up just slumping.. i do have a heat pack thing that i put behind my back when i am sat down which soothes the pain abit but i am still worried about the posture thing..

Anyone who can relate to these points? or can suggest anything? would appreciate it alot :-)
Ginafaye
UKFM Newbie

Re: Staying in the same position

Postby funny_wonder » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:59 am

Sounds familiar! I use a narrow cushion (or you can just fold one in half) lengthways down my back for support, especially in the car. It helps keep my shoulders from being rounded or hunched when I'm sitting. I find something just in the small of my back isn't enough. When I used to still ride my horse I used a back support for my lower back. My physiotherapist doesn't think it's a good idea to use a back support any more than absolutely necessary though. I would suggest seeing a good physio for help with strengthening your back, my physio has been a godsend at different times & I don't doubt my back would be a lot worse without her advice & tailored exercises. As far as comfort is concerned, I find the longer I try to tolerate the pain and avoid moving, the more time I then have to spend moving to ease it. Its more productive to move around for a few minutes when you feel discomfort setting in than be walking the floor for ages in pain. If you can't actually get up and walk around, for example in the car, try just moving & stretching as best you can.
funny_wonder
UKFM Member

Postby froggy72 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:15 am

hello i find lying on my side its so much easer and better. i am like ur self i can not support my back fully. gental hugs hunnie xxx :bear-dancing: :teddy-bear: :teddy-bear: :penguin: xxx
froggy72
UKFM Member

Postby babajane32 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:03 am

Definitely,my sleep is mega disturbed with this...sleep more than an hour or so at a go and the pain wakes me from being in one position.
babajane32
UKFM Member

Postby Ginafaye » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:12 pm

Thankyou soo much for you replys! :-)

funny_wonder-The cousion idea sounds good! i will try that thankyou :-) yeah i was going to physio but that was when the doctours where try to find out what was causing the pain (out of the fibro and scoliosis) she straped my back up a few times with the tape but i foudn it helped when she did it but then when they came off i was back to square one.. after a few sessions of the physio they wanted me to have accupuncture and therefore stoped the physio.. thinking about it now it is proberly both the scoliosis and fibro which are causing weekness in my back because i have scoliosis due to a hemevertebra (half a vertebrae missing) but then they fibro will cause me not to have the energy.. And yes okay i will just move whenever i feel the discomfort comming on :-) thankyou! (sorry i rambled on!)

froggy72- oh ill try that! Nice to know im not alone! :-) Thankyou! :-D xx

babajane32- yes it seems to affect me in a similar way to this i tend to go really stiff with it aswell.. Thankyou from your reply :-)

Hope you all have a lovely day! :-)
Ginafaye
UKFM Newbie

Postby dotty lotty » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:51 am

Oh yes if I sit too long I walk like a constipated :penguin:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:03 am

Its never good to stay in the same position as we tend to seize up and get stiffer, which is why normally we are worse first thing in the morning. the best thing you can do is get up and move around a little even if its just to move to another chair, computers are the worst in my opinion as you can forget how long you have been sitting at one and then everything hurts, so I try to keep posts as short as possible and get up every 10 minutes or so :-D :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby monica » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:26 pm

I can totally relate to this. I'm the worlds worse fidgit!

A consultant told me the best position lying on your back in bed is with pillows under your knees. I read like that with the book propped on a cushion on my front.

The other thing he told me was when lying on my side in bed to put a cushion between my knees and have another cushion to rest your arm on so your back is completely straight. At first doing all this was a nuisance but now I really notice how uncomfortable i am if I don't use the cushions.

I also use a Putnam wedge to sit on when I'm at the computer or in the car.. Oh and a perching stool for watching the TV.

Agree with everyone else to get up and move around as much as posible to avoid stiffening up.
monica
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:11 pm

Hi
I cant sit/stand/lay in same position for to long either, my pain gets worse, i have to keep moving myself.
I have to put my recliner out on my sofa so its more comfy for me so i am able to spread myself out more, i can lean on my side then to give my bottom a rest :lol: I also slump back, i cant sit upright its not comfy.

In bed i have to keep moving, i cant never get comfy for long as i seize up. :roll:

I cant stand still for to long because it causes worse back pain :roll:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Pinkprincess205 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:41 pm

hi
yeah i get this alot, it used to just be if i stood for a while i would get in pain, but now its been when i have been on the computer for more than 10 mins that i get really achy i then go to stand up and im in so much pain and really stiff, and actually find it hard to walk. I spoke to my physio the other day and she said yeah you should get up and move at least every 10 mins. she said i could puy a alarm on my phone and make myseslf get up. It just seems ridiculous, im 31 and i cant sit still for longer than 10 mins sometimes i feel like a 80 year old. i try and kid myself that i will be ok and dont get up after 10 mins and leave it for longer and then it hits me when i do need to get up. I really should listen to my physio and do as im told lol
vic x
Pinkprincess205
UKFM Member

Postby angie68 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:52 pm

dotty lotty wrote:Oh yes if I sit too long I walk like a constipated :penguin:

hahahahaha dotty you sound just like me from when i get up like a penguin hahah you made me chuckle, xx
angie68
UKFM Member

Postby Ginafaye » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:25 pm

Thanks for the replys everyone! i am going to take all these comments on board! :-D i will defo try the pillow thing and definately listen to everyone saying to keep moving! :) Thanks again this has been alot of help! Take care all :-) xxx
Ginafaye
UKFM Newbie

Postby penfriend » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:58 pm

I try various things, certainly always have a cushion between my knees in bedc and plenty of pillows. Like most of you, I have to keep trying to move. The mornings are unbelievably stiff, utterly seized up. I do wear a neck support and this has helped so much today. Just could not bear the pain this morning. I have also had to double my pain meds. as the nerve pains in my arms and hands have been unbearable. Just a little bit on computer, thats all.
penfriend
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia