Flare up

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Flare up

Postby Pinkprincess205 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:58 pm

Morning all, well actually its afternoon now lol
I think im going through a bad flare up at the moment. I moved into a new place last month before christmas, got myself a new boyfriend in dec and my mum was in a induced coma in dec. So my normall routine totally went out of the window, so i have not been resting as much as i should, not been having my normal afternoon nap, been having late nights and worying over my mum etc.
So a few days ago, i went to my physio appointment and she just asked me to do a few stretches, she didnt touch me as i cant handle that and when i left im normally alot more tired and need a nap, well my boyfriend wanted to pop to tesco, so had a quickish walk around and after a few minutes my hip just killed on every step i took, that i then had to limp to the car, since then the pain has gone much worse all over my body, im so exhausted, im aching all the time, and yesterday was dizzy nearly all day, and nearly fell over a few times, had to hold the walls to walk around my house. So today i am still in bed and it doesnt seem to be passing. It is 5 days now, i just want to get back to my normally achs and pains, cant be dealing with this flare anymore.
Sorry just need a whinge lol, i will go now lol
Vic x
Pinkprincess205
UKFM Member

Re: Flare up

Postby paulamcl » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:52 pm

whinge away Vic. that is just a normal week for me. i have constant pain on both hips everyday. i was doing well before xmas then the week before xmas up till this week has been hell. i dunno why because there is no reason and ive havent been stressed. im so sore and so tired. cant remember the last time i slept more than 2hrs at night :( flare ups can last hours to weeks or months unfortunatley. stress is a big no no for us. with all youve been through the last month im not surprised your feeling like this. i would get the dizziness checked tho. it might not be fibromyalgia related. if your feeling sick with it, it could be an inner ear infection or lybrinthitis. i hope your mum's better soon and you get better yourself :-) x
paulamcl
UKFM Member

Postby Pinkprincess205 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:46 pm

hia
yeah i do have a dizzy condition had that for 5 years, was seeing a neuro-otologist, i have a condition called MAV, which is migraine associated vertigo, very similar to lybrinthitis. Mines is made worse by stress, over doing it, migraines and head movement. I also have a balance problem to go with the dizziness. I have been pretty ok with it over the last few months, but think its just playing up now, but it is a horrible feeling.
I hope it dont last too long, but as you say a flare up can last a while, so just got to struggle through.
i did go through a while where i didnt sleep well at all, but i take ammi at night and a herble sleeping tablet and it seems to be working ok. just hope it stays that way as cant be being ill and not sleeping.
vic x
Pinkprincess205
UKFM Member

Postby henry88 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:24 am

You need proper rest. Try to take rest as much as you can and also try some stretch exercises like yoga or jogging it may help. Is there any joint inflammation or swelling in the joints?
henry88
UKFM Newbie

Postby Pinkprincess205 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:47 pm

Hia
yeah i do need more rest, i just cant convince myself to do it. I just think im only 31 and if i rest lots and stop doing all things that i will seem really old. I keep having arguments with my boyfriend over me not resting enough, he says im trying to be some super woman doing everything some normal person does. I know by not resting im making myself iller as i can feel it better worse, but just hard to convince myself.
Do you mean swelling as in if i had sprained my ankle etc like that, if so then no im havnt noticed any swelling.
vic x
Pinkprincess205
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:07 am

I was chatting to some one recently and talking about how I feel different from all the normal folk out there. She went on and made a very good point about "normal"

According to her normal is not some point you can find on a scale and so for us our normal might just be at a different point than someone elses but it is our normal . Thinking otherwise is just going to drive us a little potty :crazy:

She gave some examples and I have to say after reading them ...I guess she's right!

If you are 6'4'' that is your normal height someone else being 5'4'' doesn't make them abnormal
a marathon runner can complete a 26 mile course just cause you can't ...doesn't make you abnormal!
Some people have studied topics that interest them for years at university .......just cause you didn't ...doesn't make you abnormal

She called it looking at the picture in front of you not some one elses or walking down your own path .

So for me ...its normal that I can't walk far, that I need to rest after doing even the slightest activity, that I take a variety of meds and don't like the cold as it make my pain worse. If you don't like it then go back to your side of the "normal " street!
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby dotty lotty » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:48 am

I think that is a good way to look at things but unfortunately not always so easy.
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby Pinkprincess205 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:41 am

Yes i guess normal might not be the right word to use. Maybe i just wish i was back to the way i was before i got ill. It would be alot easier if i can think the way you do, but unfortunantly it isnt that easy like dotty says.
vic x
Pinkprincess205
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:36 pm

Pink princess believe me I am far away from thinking the way this person does .I was just sharing her views as I thought they may interest some people . I still hanker after the person I was.... even 1 year ago never mind futher back.

Like most I wrestle with my demons every day as I wish my life away hoping that I might just be that other me ...even for a little while. I think thats why I have such difficulty pacing ...I'm a boom or bust type person and its usually bust over boom.

My biggest demon is will I ever be fit enough to go back to work. I have constant pain /debilitating fatigue amongst other symptoms & any thing out of a limited schedule will give me a painful and tiring flare up that can last for days & makes me stay in bed for half the day & the sofa for the other half.

Given all of this OH tells me to apply for early retirement ....while I flit from yes that would be a good idea to no ...never... need to get back! I'm hopefully going for coffee next week with my boss to discuss it informally with him . Even with the adjustments that the occupational doc has suggested I don't think that I could do my old job and am not sure there are other jobs at my level available in the company.

So like many on here I totally get your being fed up with your flare up and Fibro in general . Moan away 'cause if you keep it inside it can only stress you more and then you get into a downward spiral of pain & misery.

Take care and hope you are feeling better soon

gentle hugs

ISM
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby Pinkprincess205 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:35 pm

Hi
Thanks for that, u explained it alot more in that post.
how old are you if you dont mind me asking, are you working full time at the moment then? Hope your meeting goes ok with your boss. Yeah i havnt worked since sept 2008, not sure if or when i will go back to work and if i did, not sure what i could go back to doing, guess that all depends on the dizziness and fibro. Will just have to see.
lol it feels like its ok to moan on here, rather than moan to friends and family, always think they will have enough of it and just tell me to shut up one day lol.
Vic x
Pinkprincess205
UKFM Member

Postby haty 2010 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:21 pm

hi Vic,
I'm just experiencing what I think is a flare up.
it came from nowhere really with last week being horrendous .I work in a school and love my job so much that last yr I started a foundation degree to finally get me into eventualy becoming a teacher.I'm struggling so much that I'm questioning my ability to work as at the moment I can't function in the house without feeling wacked out. I try to keep positive but it is hard.
I've always been on the go morning til night so to do nothing is really hard to accept.
I feel that now, I hate more than anything is that I can't see the light at the end of this tunnel,where as a cold u no wen it's getting better.
I feel guilty for feeling I'll as I'm holding back my family and putting pressure on them.my kids are 18,12,8. I want to do stuff with them.
normal is not a word I use much now,but I no where your coming from because I used that word.
thanku tho for pointing out that we are all different, that makes it easier to digest.

I'll stop rambling on now.
Jane
haty 2010
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:05 pm

Hi Vic, Glad I made myself clearer in the second post :lol:

I have just turned 50 (is that still middle aged or do I now fall into teh old catagory :roll: ) and am on long term unpaid sick leave from work at the moment. Although only DX a year I think I have had this some time but it got to the stage in May 2012 that I wasn't functioning and Gp suggested I come of for 2 weeks while trying Lyrica, Still on teh lyrica but not back at work .

As well as pain & fatigue one of the reasons I'm not working is that I can't seem to find the right words for things , this ranges from having the word or sentance in my head but not being able to express it, to just having a blank mid sentance , then if I try to explain etc it get very long winded or else the person I'm speaking to just looks at me in disbelief. You know the sort of " can this person really be that dumb " look.

Hopefully I will be able to speak freely with my boss and gauge how things are , during my time on S/L there has been major restructuring and the job I am meant to be doing now is not the job I left (if you see what I mean ) so that is further incentive NOT to go back as I'm sure trying to learn new skills would be difficult and just add to the stress & potentially give me another flare up !

As for moaning ....this place is great just to release all the tensions that build up while having this horrid illness. Everyday it seems to brings something new to the table & I for one just want to share my experiences but unfortunatly for the people around you its generally more of the same , which can lead to feeling they don't care/ aren't interested . When in real terms they just see it all under the "Oh she has Fibro " . PM if you need a chat ...its good to talk :lol:
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby Soapbubbles » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:14 pm

Dear Jane,

Reading your post reminded me that I was training to teach in adult education when my two children were young and worked only 12 hours a week at the time. This all became too much for me at the time and although I finished my training I subsequently changed my job to a less stressful one. And this was before I developed FM. I never could understand how other people managed to run a home, bring up children, have a career and train as well! I never was a superwoman.

I feel your pain. Try not to be hard on yourself. You need time to yourself to recover your inner resources. It does the children good to help out they will learn how to care for themselves as adults.

Best wishes x
Soapbubbles
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia