Stinker of a cold and mega stress!

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Stinker of a cold and mega stress!

Postby jazzbabe » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:04 pm

Having started to feel a bit better after my flare up I've got a real stinker of a cold. Every sneeze and cough is so painful. I very rarely get colds, in fact I can't remember the last time I had one. Can't get warm one minute then so hot you could fry an egg on me. I have a mixture that I make every year which normally works but it's not doing the trick yet. Will have to cancel my appointment at hospital tomorrow as I hardly think I'll be welcome!
The weather isn't helping, loads of snow and the house is getting colder too. The car died on Friday and OH has been trying to fix it for the past few days but it looks as if new parts are needed which we can't afford. Without the car we can't get coal for the fire, still have pallets to do but trying to get the car fixed has been a priority. The oil is nearly gone too. I looked on the site re cold weather payments but I don't think I qualify as I only get DLA. It seems ridiculous that someone on Jobseekers gets help but someone on DLA doesn't get it. I can't get ESA anymore because the other half has a small property in London which he rents out and with the rule changes we are too well off apparently.

We don't get much per month from it and we have a mortgage to pay on it but we have been told it has to be sold before we get anything. All fine in theory but we have explained we'd have to pay the mortgage off then pay his ex half the value plus half the rental from the last 20 years which would leave us up to £60k in debt with no means of paying it. That is if we can find her after 20 years. Everything is black and white with no deviation for people like us.
He lost nearly £3k before Christmas when the company he was doing most of his work for went bust which has left us in debt for the first time ever. We went to the bank to try to stop bank charges but I'm not holding my breath, we don't have enough to pay the bills as it is so if they put charges on we'll be over our overdraft again and then the bills won't get paid so we'll get more charges. His workshop is frozen so he hasn't been able to work which is frustrating as we have work sitting here which he could get money for. We can't get a loan because he doesn't earn enough at the moment as he's only just started up and apparently because of the conditions on the flat we can't use it as collateral so we're stuck with it like a millstone round our necks. I guess having been ill and then all this stress has knocked my immune system for six. I've certainly never felt so ill with a cold before just hope my mixture starts to work soon before I get another flare up.
jazzbabe
UKFM Member

Re: Stinker of a cold and mega stress!

Postby dawnybawny » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:42 pm

i wish u well love x
dawnybawny
UKFM Member

Postby jazzbabe » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:27 am

Thanks hon! Just come downstairs for pain killers and the Rayburn is out so we've run out of oil. Going to be fun trying to keep warm now. i guess we'll have to get chopping. Unfortunately pallet wood burns quickly so we won't be able to keep the woodburner going over night even if shut down so it will be freezing in the mornings until we re light it. Just hope we don't get burst pipes overnight, that would be the icing on the cake at the mo!
Will have to try to get secondary pipework to workshop so he can work and hopefully he'll get some money in by the end of the week so we can pay some of the bills. Won't be able to afford oil for a while though. The last lot was £369 for 500 litres and it's gone up since then. The electricity bill is the big one and the council tax, I had explained to the council what the situation is but they've only given me to the end of the month or I get a summons. Like that will solve anything! I had tried to get help with council tax but I don't qualify because of the flat. They say we have £72k worth of assets and even after explaining that actually we don't, they wouldn't help. We explained that we'd taken legal advice and that we'd be even further in debt but they won't have it. It's the black and white thing again! Still I suppose if I end up in prison for non payment I'll be nice and warm!
jazzbabe
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:46 am

Nothing I can do to sort out your current situation but sending a few gentle hugs to let you know others thinking about you & your predicament.
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby jazzbabe » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:43 am

Thank you! Sorry to be a moaning Minnie but there's no one to talk to. I don't know where to turn. it's not as if we don't try, OH was doing 80 hour weeks minimum before Christmas and has nothing to show for it. There are administrators dealing with the bust company but it can take up to six months and we really don't stand a chance of getting anything. The only ones who win are the administrators themselves, they pay themselves first, then the big companies get a share and then us minnows get nothing or pence if we're lucky. I don't want to go to a loan company because it will get us in more trouble in the long run but sitting in a freezing house with £150 to pay £106 worth of Electricity bill, £54 worth of water bill and £119 worth of council tax and it all seems a bit much to handle when I've got a really horrible cold. That's without buying food. I tried to sell me lovely chickens but I've had no takers. They are a drain on resources that we don't need. At this rate we'll be shooting them for food even though they are rare ones!
jazzbabe
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:46 pm

Sorry to hear what you're trying to deal with Jazz :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: Do you have any organisations in your area that could help with negotiating with the people you have outstanding commitments with, to see if some sort of reduced payment plan could be arranged. I know it's not an ideal option, but may help buy you some additional time for your OH to get some work and payments coming in. Places like Citizens Advice may be able to help or CAP https://www.capuk.org/home/index.php

I wish I could magic up some oil reserves under your garden for you, that would probably help sort a few things out if I could :( :( :(
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby LouLou » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:43 pm

Oh jazzbabe can I come and give you a big fat cuddle? :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Having FM is enough in itself let alone with added stresses and a cold ontop! This weather certainly isn't helping you either. I would definitely go for what Fluppy has suggested about organisations who can put you on a reduced payment plan. We have quite a few debts as we did lots of work to the house just before FM reared it's ugly head, and suddenly I was struggling to work and pay bills and debts etc. I sought help from a Government run organisation and they have reduced our bill payments for our credit cards by 70%! Just make sure you pick a company which won't charge you for setting it up or take monthly fees.

In regards to keeping warm I really do feel for you. I can't stand being cold and the snow is really bad where we are at the moment. 2 years ago when FM hit me my parents got us a calor gas fire. It was about £100 but a big bottle of gas for £15 lasts about 6 weeks (and that's having it on for hours a day lol) I know you may not be looking for an alternative to heating but thought I would mention it. Our heating bills have come down quite a bit too which is a bonus.

Now to tackle your cold lol my mum always told me to have lots of vitamin C and lots of green veg. Or those sachets you can get from the chemist and mix with hot water.

Take care jazzbabe I really hope things get better for you soon!
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby shazq » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:54 pm

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: Jazz hope you are able to sort something out.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby jazzbabe » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:30 pm

Hopefully car is now fixed,OH was out there all morning so not happy bunny although if it is fixed it was the cheaper option not a whole new alternator so we saved loads! We had alot more snow over night, deep joy. He's gone to see if he can get some pipe to set up a temporary link from the house to the workshop so he can work, his tanks aren't frozen but the pipe to the workshop is so he's got limited resources.

Our problem is always the blasted flat, nobody can understand that we can't sell it without incurring mega costs which we have no means of paying. It only just covers our bills but at least it does mean that we had some money coming in when he wasn't earning. I'd love to sell it as the tenants have their own rules about paying and the agency just can't be bothered to sort it.
The wood burner is running ok and hopefully will keep the chill off over night, we have a little electric fire but I'm scared of using it due to cost.

Thank heavens we don't have credit cards or we would be really in dire straights! I'll have to cancel the electricity DD which is the biggest one and tell them they'll get it in a few days and just hope the bank manager can persuade the powers that be that it's not helpful to cripple us any more. If we'd been reckless with our spending it would be fine but we haven't we've just been trying to survive with a massive loss of income.

I have a cold mixture that I make every year and it works for everyone within two doses normally but I've not got rid of my cold at all. Law of Sod strikes again!

Had to cancel my hospital appointment but the secretary was fine about it, I said I didn't think she'd want me in spreading the joy that is my cold and she was quite happy to change my appointment. Apparently I wasn't the first to cancel in the same circumstances. It's a shame it didn't break before Friday because then someone else may have been able to take my place.

The dishwasher has died today too, it's been playing silly sods for months but a bash on the door sorted it but today it didn't so I'll have to hand wash everything which means broken plates again. We got the dishwasher 10 years ago so it's not done badly. I think OH can possibly fix it but he's got enough on his plate at the mo.
It never rains!
I think I must have been Ghengis Khan in my last life because Karma constantly beats me up in this one! Ho hum, chin up and grit my teeth and carry on and hope that we'll get a break at some point soon.
jazzbabe
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia