Back and shoulder pain

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Back and shoulder pain

Postby LauraT » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:37 pm

Hi everyone,
Im new to this, the doc has said he is 90% sure i have fibro. At the moment im struggeling, iv got bad pain in my shoulder and arms, u cant lift them up to take jumpers off or wash my hair. Not only that but in certain positions i get a stabbing pain in my back, around the same area as my waist but on my back. It stops me from taking a deep satisfying breathe or yawning. Is this normal?? I have got a rash as well, on my collar bone a red dry rash not itchy just looks abit horrible! Im only 24 and struggling to cope with it all, my boyfriend who i live with is great i just feel like a burden on him. Just wanted abit of a rant for my first post lol!

Thanks for reading xxx
LauraT
UKFM Newbie

Re: Back and shoulder pain

Postby Liver Bird L4 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:03 am

Hi and welcome,

I would say the first thing that you have to accept with fibro is that it is a very nasty piece of work!

The best advice I can give to you is to start to understand how pain works. Once I read the book - Explain Pain by David S. Butler, G. Lorimer Moseley, it really helped. It's not the cheapest but in my opinion its the best (if you want it let me know and I'll help you get it at the best price).

It helps you understand how all pain and reaction (swelling, rash...) is from the brain. Any pain clinic Dr you go to will have this on their shelf at home and should recommend it to you. It is in plain English, not medical jargon.

As you can see from the time of this post, fibro is not easy, but understanding it will help your sanity!

Take care.
Liver Bird L4
UKFM Member

Postby LauraT » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:37 am

Thank you i will have a look into this book, I think i just need to understand it more, im getting there bit by bit.

Thank You for your advice xxx
LauraT
UKFM Newbie

Postby Laura786 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:05 pm

Hi LauraT,

I also have stabbing pains in my arms and the same feeling around my ribs. Try warming heat pads or hot water bottles. Also anti-inflammatories helped me quite a lot but be careful of tummy problems!!

Good luck with diagnosis.

Laura786
Laura786
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia