Help with work

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Help with work

Postby hpno1 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:09 am

Hey I was diagnosed with fms and cfs just last week.
The problem I have is if I tell my boss or not. I work on a maternity ward and am constantly on my feet so the job causes me to have flare ups and to feel rubbish but it was only the other week my boss offered me more hours (meaning my work day will be a 13 hour shift instead of 8)
I know this will completely wear me out but I need the money badly! I'm only 19 and am hoping the hospital will send me to university to train as a midwife.
I'm worried that by telling her that I have this new diagnosis she will revoke my new hours or it might jeopardise my future at the hospital!
Please help me if you can. I'd be ever so grateful. X
hpno1
UKFM Member

Re: Help with work

Postby Beccie42 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:58 am

Sorry to hear your joining our club. The best place to start is to look into company policy on supporting disabled employees. Hopefully, working for a hospital they will have a good written policy in place. This should help you in making a decision whether to tell your boss or not. legally, they have to have to treat you according to disability legislation. the problem often is getting them to realise this. also chexk to see if you have a disabled workers group or seek the advice of a union rep. my advice would to always tell your boss as they have a duy of care to you. however some managers understanding can be lacking. do your homework first and see how you feel about it then. do you hav
any colleagues with disabilities? They may be able to offer advice too.
Beccie42
UKFM Member

Postby countyfan » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:55 pm

Hi hpno1 ,

As some of the others may know, from previous posts, I have a terrible job situation. I have finally given in and let the doc sign me off sick for a fortnight-I'm absolutely exhausted. Trouble is the boss has now seized on this to try and say I'm not capable of doing the job any more. I don't know what to do. There is a total of 12 weeks paid sick leave but later on in the year I am going to need some time of for a spinal op on my neck. The doc has written fibro related stress on the note, so is Fibro actually classed as a disability for the purposes of working law? Trouble is the company hasn't got any sorts of disability policies so are there any nationally enforcible ones that apply to all companies?
I can't afford to have no money, so if the paid sick leave is all used up, what can I do when I have to have at least 3months off for the operation?

Sorry to have asked more questions than I answered but at least working for the NHS you have a big organisation behind you- I wish I'd never left!
:-|
countyfan
UKFM Member

Postby hpno1 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:06 pm

Hi countyfan.
Sorry to hear about your situation.
Do you feel as though you can't do your job anymore?
The bottom line is, your boss cannot discriminate against you for having a disability.
It's a tough situation as its an invisible illness. Maybe print off some information about the condition and give it to your boss to help them be more understanding?
hpno1
UKFM Member

Postby ElvisPresley » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:32 pm

You do not legally have to tell your boss. There are laws regarding disabled workers and discrimination against them. I have FM and work as a secretary for a GP practice. I told them about being diagnosed with fibre and everything was fine until we lost our long term manager! The new manager is making things very difficult for me, has recently had an occupational health report done on me and now is disagreeing with the report!!! I am off sick at the moment and have been for the last 3 weeks due to the stress he has caused me during the last 9 months.

What I suggest you do is find out all the facts first, before telling them your diagnosis. Search the internet, look at the ACAS website and ring their helpline if necessary, make an appointment with the Citizens Advice Bureau. Once you are happy that you know your rights and your company policy/employment contract, then tell them. You will then be in a much better place to deal with whatever happens next.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you.
ElvisPresley
UKFM Member

Postby jennthefunkyranger » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:11 pm

I told my work a few days after I was diagnosed. I do have a supportive workplace, and it was one of the best things I could have done - I had several consultations to see what adaptations they could do to help, and I'm under strict orders to let my team leaders know when I'm struggling so they can make allowances.
jennthefunkyranger
UKFM Member

Postby difly » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:40 pm

hi hpno 1 i work in a stressful job in the criminal justice system i chose to tell my employers about my fibro and they were ok with this they referr me to access to work , i was measured up for a special chair , had a meeting with occy health found out i wasnt the only one with fibro in the organisation and they have been supportive , on the flip side i do worry when i have to take time off work due to the fibro , i tend to use my leave some times to accommodate ,i would do your research first as each indiv different good luck with things take care xx
difly
UKFM Member

Postby hpno1 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:25 am

Thank you all so much for replying! It's stressing me out but will look further into it before saying anything.
Fortunately I have quite a bit of holiday in the next 3 months so can rest up.
I'm just so worried that my boss with think differently of me and how capable I am doing the job and that it could be a burden on my chance of being sent to university! X
hpno1
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia