Why do we do this to ourselves!!!

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Why do we do this to ourselves!!!

Postby millymoodoo » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:23 pm

Hi all

Well what a day!!! I had what i thought was a good idea this morning, i decided to spring clean my bungalow from top to bottom!!! What a bad idea, i am aching and in pain in parts of my body that i didnt know existed!!! Its only a 2 bedroom bungalow but the time it has taken you would have thought it was massive, but i have done paintwork, windows pulled things out and completely gutted the place. I live on my own with Milly my dog and the 2 cats so you would have thought that it wouldnt take much keeping up with, but if i am to be totally honest i havnt hoover or dusted since christmas eve so you can imagine the thick layer of dust etc. It wasnt untidy as i do clear up after myself but i just havnt had the energy during this flare up to do anything at all. I swear i am going to keep up with it now as i cant keep doing this as i am in so much pain now, why do we do this to ourselves? I felt that while i was feeling much better that i would take the oppertunity to do it but i know i have overdone it big time. Does anybody else do something as stupid as me, i know i am moaning but i only have myself to blame.

I dont often get the urge like today, i have even booked a mobility scooter for a shopping trip with my mum to meadowhall on friday so i will rest up until then . We dont rush round when we go shopping but mum and dad do so much for me i wanted to do something for them, i know it doesnt sound much but it will be nice to have lunch out and spend some quality time with mum. Dad will be staying at home but he will be ok as Milly and Pippa will be taking care of him. Its just nice to plan something rather than sitting at home staring at all 4 walls (at least they are clean now lol). I really miss the days where i would work a 12 hour shift then cook when i got home and my home was always immaculate and i still went out etc, i suppose i am grieving for those days. I am so envious of people who are able to do that and some are much older than me but have so much energy. I am going to go now as i am starting to feel sorry for myself.

Millyxxx :-) :grouphug:
Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them get up!!! When life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!! Everyday is a gift which is why we call it the present
millymoodoo
UKFM Member

Re: Why do we do this to ourselves!!!

Postby masonsbarms » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:43 pm

hi, milly, wow you have gone mad and now you must pay,

its like we think we can get away with it like bunking of school when i was young but i always got caught out and punished.

i think we have all done it i know i have and its not good, but i think we rebel against it some times as if we think we can beat it,

like you said you are wishing for the old you but your not alone in this either as we all do.

you know what you have to do to enjoy your day with mum but you have also got to remember what you havent to do and thats go mad again,

do a little each day and listen to the twinges and things they ars saying hey slow diwn i need to rest,

hope you have a lovely day and recover quickly.

take care xx
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Postby rdmthomas1 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:09 pm

Well I did the same thing yesterday - I've piled on so much weight sitting around 'resting' and feeling crap I thought I'd try to take a brisk walk to get me fitter and of course today I pay the price. I ache all over and have no energy left for today. BUT...as soon as I feel a bit better I will be taking another of those walks! I'm determined to get myself out of this downward spiral of depression and comfort eating to compensate for the way fm makes me feel. Exercise is supposed to be of great benefit to fm sufferers so I'm going to give it a try. Wish me luck as I know I'm going to need it!
rdmthomas1
UKFM Member

Postby ria70 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:11 pm

Hi Milly
I do exactly the same,i have a really bad flare up where i can not do anything for day's then when i feel ok i try and be a whirlwind like i used to be.I also used to do 12 hour shifts before i went out on a morning i would prepare the tea,sort the kids out maybe iron uniforms,walk the dog then go to work come home and start again.
We just need to learn to adapt to this new life but it is hard as your brain say's yes but the body say's no Lol
Take care and rest for a few days (not that we have any other option)
Big hugs
Andrea xx
ria70
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:41 pm

Milly, you're far from being alone in doing these mad, daft things then having to pay the price. I did it the other week :oops: :oops: :oops: The bathroom has been annoying me for ages as altho it is clean, it didn't have that "cleaness" about it (I think you'll know what I mean.) So I got up with a bee in my bonnet about getting it back to something like that "cleaness" it was lacking. So off I went, cloths, bleach and sprays in hand, wearing my white paper onesie and ready for battle against all the yuckiness that it seemed was only visible to me.

Cue a couple of hours later, bathroom now had that clean smell it always used to have, and I was wobbling about, all hot and icky, and aching and throbbing from head to foot :facepalm: :facepalm: And OH was there with that "I told you so" look on his face. It's taken taken nearly as week for me to start getting over it, but at least it finally looks better to me. If I'd managed to find a bit of sense, I would have left it as next week some new cabinets and blinds are going up, as well as the bits that need painting getting a new coat of paint, so it will all be done again. But sometimes, when you get that feeling, nothing seems capable of stopping it until you've got everything done.

Make sure you take things easy now so you're in the best shape possible for your mum and daughter outing. Trips out like that one often bring a lot of pleasure, so don't think that it doesn't sound much. Quite often it's the smallest things that can mean the most. And no matter how old we are, having a little bit of special time is always good for the soul :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

It's after a day like you've had, as well as
rdmthomas1 wrote:Well I did the same thing yesterday - I've piled on so much weight sitting around 'resting' and feeling crap I thought I'd try to take a brisk walk to get me fitter and of course today I pay the price. I ache all over and have no energy left for today. BUT...as soon as I feel a bit better I will be taking another of those walks! I'm determined to get myself out of this downward spiral of depression and comfort eating to compensate for the way fm makes me feel. Exercise is supposed to be of great benefit to fm sufferers so I'm going to give it a try. Wish me luck as I know I'm going to need it!

that we're supposed to start with the benefits of pacing, which I think most of us have a good go at for most of the time. But even the most diligent follower of it will have an occasional :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: Boom and Bust day as it seems to be something in our natures that we can't always keep contained :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin:

Luffs to you and Milly and the :cat2: from me and DeeDee ~ doodoos xxx
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby bulldog7274 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:00 pm

i think we all do the same in some way or other (as though we are sticking up the proverbial V :shock: :shock: :shock: ) i help a mate out every now and then doing paint ball marshalling :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: its great fun as im out doors in some woods around people wanting to have fun and thats the boss and other marshalls never mind the people coming to play paintballing :shooting: . I suppose alot is to do with me putting on weight and loosing my mobility which i dont like as i used to be a big outdoor person and into alot off sports that i cant do any more and cant stand it, its driving me crazy and :too-upset: :pull-hair:
bulldog7274
UKFM Member

Postby jennthefunkyranger » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:19 pm

I also did a mammoth clean yesterday - I ended up snowed in and off work and I was bored! My arms certainly are paying for it today, and my neck has been sore too. I'm lucky that my fibro is fairly 'mild', and I'm one of the ones who can still lead a pretty much normal life, but it still annoys me that I have to balance what I'm doing so much.

As for the outdoors stuff, I love that, and I'd rather do the activity and pay the price. I'm 27, and whilst I can, I'm not spending the rest of my life sitting on the sidelines watching everyone else live.
jennthefunkyranger
UKFM Member

Postby Debz7172 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:21 pm

I think there's been something in the water or maybe snow the last couple of days. I've done exactly the same today although didn't get as far as you!! Took a break and had a cup of tea before the ironing and taking up some curtains! When I went to stand uo the tiredness hit me like a ton of bricks, I thought maybe I was having a hypo, I'm a type 1 diabetic as we'll, but that was ok! So it was the FM! I thought great that's me done for the day!!!

I should know better by now not to make plans shopping, trips out, chores etc. We've learnt that over the years, you CAN NOT make plans of any description because if I wake up having a bad day it leads to disappointment for everybody! The boys are 18 and 16 now so they are old enough to understand to a degree!!! Although the eldest did move ti York 2 years ago to try living with his farther and to go to York college, I'm sure my health played a part in his desicion, which makes me fail like such a failure!!

Anyway, this is my first post and its turning into a short novel so all the best to everyone out there!

I would love to year from anyone out there who lives in North Cornwall!!!

Debz. X. 8-):(
Debz7172
UKFM Member

Postby LouLou » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:30 pm

Awww Milly I am just the same.

Although I know doing certain things will cause a flare I often feel so guilty about leaving things to other people that I just push on and regret it later lol. Especially when it comes to the housework and things like that. My OH is fab and does the housework most weeks for me, and although I am so grateful for that, men just never seem to clean the same way us women do lol.

jennthefunkyranger wrote:I also did a mammoth clean yesterday - I ended up snowed in and off work and I was bored! My arms certainly are paying for it today, and my neck has been sore too. I'm lucky that my fibro is fairly 'mild', and I'm one of the ones who can still lead a pretty much normal life, but it still annoys me that I have to balance what I'm doing so much.

As for the outdoors stuff, I love that, and I'd rather do the activity and pay the price. I'm 27, and whilst I can, I'm not spending the rest of my life sitting on the sidelines watching everyone else live.

Jenn I am just like you lol I'm 29 and compared to alot of people on here I would say my FM is quite mild, though don't get me wrong I'm still in a lot of pain most of the time. I love your attitude and I try and think like that too. I know I can't do everything I used to, but if I feel like going on a shopping spree I make sure it's somewhere I can have a sit down when I need to, I go when it's not too busy and when I know I can rest for a few days after.

Milly, lots of rest for you and stay warm!
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby millymoodoo » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:31 pm

Thank you all for your replies and i am pleased its not just me being silly and doing more than i can manage. I think when you feel ok you grab it with both hands and take advantage of having some energy before fibro snatches it away from us as is so very often the case so we zoom round and do as much as possible as fast as possible, i suppose they call this living life to the full!!! Its like the world is ending and we are making sure we have got everything done!!! I have tried doing a couple of rooms a day but as no 2 days are the same i found that i never got the whole house cleaned and by the time i had finished it all needed doing again.

I had a brilliant nights sleep last night but i am so sore today i feel like i have runn a marathon twice over!!! When i got up this morning i looked at my hard work and everything is smelling loving and gleams and that does give me pleasure. I am like you flup i use all kinds of bleach's and sprays and spray it all over like a lunatic i could do with shares in these cleaning products lol, but the whole house feels so clean and smells fresh!!!

Well as its my birthday today i am going to chill!!! I have mum and dad coming for a few hours and family and friends will be in and out all day which i am so looking forward to!! But like i said before i am not going to leave my cleaning as long next time i really am going to try and keep up with it!!!!!

Love to all, Milly sends a big hug to deedee doodoo's!!!! :dogchasecat1:
:grouphug: Millyxxx :-)
Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them get up!!! When life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!! Everyday is a gift which is why we call it the present
millymoodoo
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:02 pm

Folks I have been in a really bad flare the last wee while and even the thought of doing a little of what you have achieved is making me reach for the Tramadol :lol: I have had the last 2 days totally in bed , even trying to turn hurts so can't imagine getting it together enough to reach for the bleach bottle instead.

Not sure if the mods allow such things but just to let you know I have logged into an american site ( Flylady.com)to try and learn to pace my cleaning/declutter attempts when I am feeling up to it as the house has got away from me over the last few years as my energy levels etc decreased. OH manages all the day to day stuff but as he also as intermittent health problem decluttering and deep cleaning aren't on his agenda

The thought is that most folk can do anything for 15mins and so thats all you do ...15 mins at a time in various rooms . It means it may take you a week to totally clean your bathroom but it is managable and you don't suffer burnout. It is very American in the way it is written ( not sure I could ever refer to cleaning as home blessing!!) but as someone who needs even a virtual kick up the *** to get things done , it is at least an aide. I don't follow it to a letter as I don't feel well enough but do so when I can and I have managed to get some areas decluttered if not cleaned.

To all who have over done it ...take care & rest up and to everyone else heed thier advice.

Am away back to bed as the hosue is cold and I am freezing!
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:11 pm

Info and linkys about sites that are relevant and helpful are fine ISM :wave: :wave:

Milly this is for you :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16050
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby goldenlou » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:08 pm

Iv'e just done exactly the same thing and am now paying the price..in pain. On tuesday I seemed to have a lot of energy so
I put it to use and spring cleaned. I have quite a big house and it takes a lot of work, but I went overboard and
was like a woman possessed, no stone unturned. Wednesday and today Im now in real pain and totally exhausted. I walked the
dog today and the small hill i had to walk back to my house seemed like a mountain. I had to keep stopping. Even my dog
seemed to know how I felt! why do we do this to ourselves? because I for one, worry that most days I havent got the energy
to hoover under beds and give the whole place a real going over, so when I can, I go for it, and then at least its all clean and
I can relax and dont feel guilty, on the bad days. If that makes sense!
goldenlou
UKFM Member

Postby Jodie » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:23 am

Oh dear!

I feel your pain! I visited my mum this weekend for her birthday and she happens to live atop a particularly steep hill in Brighton.
In my infinite wisdom I decided to tackle the hill with naught but my spindly legs and woke up to the happy feeling of stiff buttocks. I've been hobbling like I've got ants in my pants around the office all day and I think it's getting worse.

I didn't even know you could pull your bum muscles, or that I even had any left, but there you go. No more hills / walking for me for a few days.

Next time I'll take the bus.
Jodie
UKFM Newbie

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia