[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - how can I get the help I need

how can I get the help I need

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

how can I get the help I need

Postby marianne p » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:20 pm

hi everyone, online at last at my flat,went to the pain clinic 2 days ago,hoping to get better/different pain meds,but was told that he thinks i am on enough,but the pain is bothering me more lately,how can i get the help i need? i have had to change docs because of the move,my doc upped my codeine to 30mg,but still finding things tough,marianne p xx
marianne p
UKFM Member

Re: how can I get the help I need

Postby denys » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:16 pm

Marianne I have split your post from Dotty's as I think you will get more hits with it being a separate post. I'm so sorry you havent had the help from the pain clinic you wanted.

Did he suggest tweaking the meds you are on or taking them differently :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: small changes can make a big difference, I had a hospital stay recently and was lucky enough to see the pain clinic sister, she asked me how I took my meds and when and then advised me of the best way and times to take each one and I have to admit it did give me some extra relief :hugs: :hugs:

Maybe if you talk to your doc and ask for a meds review with them I dont know but just maybe its worth a try :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby fruity72 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:29 pm

fruity72
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:37 pm

Have you tried any therapies like accupuncture/physio/oesteopath/hydrotherapy? on top of current meds as additional pain relief?

Pain clinic can also see about steriod injections/nerve blocks and lidocaine infusions
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby denys » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:50 pm

I am on insulin (2 types) plus metformin for my diabetes, simvastatin, citalopram, dosulepin, Lyrica (pregablin), pizotifen, dihydrocodiene, paracetamol, cyclizine, migraleve pink and omeprasol plus I have diazapam for when I get spasms and another one begins with M for IBS cant recall its name at the moment. also diclofenac for inflammatory problems.

There are some that I cant take with others and the one I try to avoid is diclofenac and the diazapam. I was advised to take the DHC with paracetamol instead of taking co-codamol and I have to say I do get a better effect. Never take advice off this site regarding medication though always talk to a health professional as what is right for me will not always be the right thing for others
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby penfriend » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:08 pm

wow! denys. how do you manage to cope with all those drugs. You must have a strong stomach. I am terrible just on 4 or 5 a day and still struggling to cope. My empathies with you. Love penfriend.
penfriend
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:07 am

Thank you penfriend, I have a lot of drug sensitivities and so am careful how I use my meds, the diabetes meds are essential and I cant do without those but am trying to control things so I can keep them to a minimum.

Citalopram is for depression and I have found it impossible to remain stable below my maintenance dose.

Daily pain relief are dosulepin, lyrica and pizotifen all others are taken only when necessary and so I can go for a few days without taking any of the extras and will use hot water bottles etc to try to avoid taking them, but they are there when I cant go without :-) :-) :-)
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby penfriend » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:42 am

Yes, Denys I understand what you have to do. each day is different, according to how bad we are. I desperately tried to avoid taking drugs, and try to vary as much as poss. I am interested in what you take for the pain, and will look these up. I have gabapentin but cannot take it yet, because they are large capsules which I cannot swallow, but as my own doctor died a year ago, no-one seems to understand that I need either very tiny tablets or preferably in a liquid. If you are different from the masses, then thats too bad. I try to cope with paracetemol with variations and some aspirin. Not really helping though. I also have carpal tunnel and that has just got worse. with swollen hands, and fingers which refuse to work.

take care. love penfriend
penfriend
UKFM Member

Postby LouLou » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:18 pm

Hi marianne

It may be worth asking your new GP if there is a combination of painkillers you can take with codeine? I know a lot of people on here take a cocktail of painkillers which seems to help better than taking just one? There are different strengths of each painkiller so it may take a while for you to get to the dose you need to help with the pain. It took me and my GP about a year to figure out what was best for me, especially as I still work 30 hours a week and needed something to help the pain yet not make me sleepy or groggy (well even more so than I do with FM lol)

But as already advised always see a GP first as what works for one person won't always work for another.

Good Luck
xx
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby denys » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:51 pm

Oh Penfriend I hope your hands ease up soon, I hate that pins and needles pain type feeling and the inability to grip things etc.

Marianne I hope you have managed to get some help and that its working :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby penfriend » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:15 pm

Denys, this is what is rather strange with the hands problem, I only seem to have severe PAIN in fingers and wrists, and my right hand seizes up altogether, I do not get numbness, but only electric shocks as well all up the arms. I know I could do with an appt. either with a chiro or physio (had to cancel NHS one) so am hoping, when weather improves, to find someone. I also have bad neck and shoulder problems, really had them almost all my life. I do believe there is a lot of "referred"pain. Trouble is when one is elderly and hardly able to move, one does not know whether its best just to cope with everything and rest, than take on something else. kind regards pen friend
penfriend
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:51 pm

I would talk to your doc Penfriend as no matter what age you are you shouldnt have to live with pain.

Marianne has the increase in the codeine helped at all?????? :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby penfriend » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:33 pm

dear friends, I've just had rather an amazing result today - I found some old co-codamol in my medical case, so decided to take one, along with a sleeping tablet last night (the co-codamol were about 5 years old) and awake to find this morning that my pain was about 20% easier, and I had a good night. I know that with codeine, one is advised to only take for 3 days, but going to enjoy this while I can. My hands are more or less as bad, but I definitely felt I could actually move a little better. hope it might help some of you too. love penfriend
penfriend
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:58 pm

Penfriend please check the expiry date on the co~codamol as taking meds after their date has passed could cause you additional problems that are just as or could be worse than what you already have.

Altho codeine is generally advised to be taken just for 3 days, a considerable number of us are or have been on them for much longer, and at different strengths.

The 8/500 co~codamol can be bought OTC, so depending on the strength of the ones you have found and taken, you could get some that are well within their expiry date and have a word with a pharmacist about taking them for more than 3 days, or speak to your GP. For the stronger ones you'd need to see your GP.