Flare

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Flare

Postby jennthefunkyranger » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:04 pm

I'm currently having my worst flare so far :(

Work allowed me to start at 9 instead of 8 to make it easier for me, but instead it made things worse as the traffic was horrendous. So from this week, I swapped back to 8am. I don't know if it's this alone, or that I've been feeling a bit off this week anyway, or the weather but I've been pushed into a flare. I was off on Monday as I was snowed in, and really overdid it with the cleaning, Tueday I was okay, then Weds I was really tired and struggling, and had to cancel my tutoring. Thursday I felt horrendous but then brightened up a bit, but couldn't get an early night as planned as I ended up playing Big Sister Taxi Service. Then yesterday really struggled into work, and one of the HR team, the one who's been dealing with me, found me in tears in the toilets as I was so tired, and sent me home.

I'm so fed up, I just want to live normally again.
jennthefunkyranger
UKFM Member

Re: Flare

Postby paulamcl » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:50 pm

i hope your feeling better soon. flares ups are horrible :( You feel like nobody else understands how you are feeling. mines was caused by a car accident. a year and a half ago i was fit and healthy in the gym everyday day for nearly 2hrs and now i struggle to put my shoes on. its very frustrating :-x you need to think of you and get the rest you need :-) i hope next week is a better week for you x
paulamcl
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:01 am

It could be one thing Jenn, it could be a few things, or it could be all of it adding it's effects to how you are :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: A lot of us seem to have been affected recently. When I read that you felt OK the day after you'd had your cleaning blitz, I did wonder if something might follow on a day or so after, a similar thing happens to me when I have moments of :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: FM always finds a way to get its payback :( :( :(

All I can really suggest is taking the best care of yourself that you can, try to rest, take things as gently as you can and hopefully things will start to settle themselves back own for you :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :grouphug: :grouphug:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Iceskatemum » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:23 am

Sorry to hear its been a bad week for you , hopefully with a lot of rest & no cleaning or taxi dutues you will be able to face next week a lot better. :-D

I def think the weather has something to do with it, had 2 days in bed this week as couldn't move with the pain, seemed to coincide with getting extra cold when out in the car the night before (plus ran out of SR Tramadol & was using co codamol instead ). Have now got an all night electric blanket for the bed & my bright new shiny pack of Tramadol so am slowly coming back round .

Take care ..sending virtual hugs
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby jennthefunkyranger » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:43 pm

Thanks.

I DEFINITELY spoke too soon when I thought I was okay the day after doing all the cleaning. I've not been dealing with this for very long, so haven't learned how to pace myself properly yet.

I don't feel as tired today after a nice long lie in, and I don't need to get up until 8am next week, so hopefully I can give my body time to recover. I still ache like mad today, though.
jennthefunkyranger
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:20 pm

It's thru doing the daft things and dealing with the payback that you can learn something about what and how much of it is right for you Jenn, it's another part of the learning to live with FM process. You'll probably have some more silliness along the way, so just try to take what comes each day and try to get te best or most out of things as you can :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: You will find your way there :chicken-dance: :chicken-dance: :chicken-dance: :chicken-dance:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Iceskatemum » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:55 pm

Thanks for the wise words FP. Good for Jenn & also the rest of us , perhaps they can be put in another thread for all the newbies & us not so newbies as they might save some of us from feeling so frustrated about not being able to do things

A year after being DX and 8 months after coming off work I am still learning every day what I can and can't do with this wretched illness. Unfortunatly as I find out too frequently it's usually what I can't do rather than what I can !

I'm still having real difficulty pacing given the fluctuating nature of things . Whats ok one time floors me the next!

Please tell me I'm not alone in this.
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby denys » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:20 pm

You aren't the only one ISM pacing is all about listening to your body. its not exact, so if one day you can manage 10 minutes activity with 10 minutes rest that's great, but the next time it might be 5 minutes activity with a 15 minute break.

You change it to suit that day, it takes time to learn and I still haven't got the knack completely :lol: :lol: :lol: Jenn as the others have said it will have been a combination of everything including the weather as its such a struggle to get going when things are so cold so :fingerscrossed: you will begin to feel the benefits of going in later soon :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Liver Bird L4 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:50 pm

paulamcl wrote:i hope your feeling better soon. flares ups are horrible :( You feel like nobody else understands how you are feeling. mines was caused by a car accident. a year and a half ago i was fit and healthy in the gym everyday day for nearly 2hrs and now i struggle to put my shoes on. its very frustrating :-x you need to think of you and get the rest you need :-) i hope next week is a better week for you x

Snap! That's exactly what happened to me :-( 2 years 3 mths since my accident and not worked since. I feel for you my friend.
Liver Bird L4
UKFM Member

Postby Estherlou » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:03 am

Hi Jenny, I hope you're feeling better today. Please don't beat yourself up after overdoing it. It's very hard to look at things that need doing and then to not do them. After 7 years I still struggle to pace myself, then end up washed out thinking "will I ever learn" :-D I guess the important thing is to then take the additional rest needed if poss. Hugs to you and here,s to a better week xx
Estherlou
UKFM Member

Postby LouLou » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:05 pm

Hi Jenn

So sorry to hear you're having a rubbish time at the moment.

FluppyPuffy wrote:When I read that you felt OK the day after you'd had your cleaning blitz, I did wonder if something might follow on a day or so after, a similar thing happens to me when I have moments of FM always finds a way to get its payback

Fluppy that is so true, I've often been bewildered when a flare has reared it's ugly head and I haven't done anything to cause if for a few days lol isn't FM fun!

Iceskatemum wrote:I def think the weather has something to do with it,

I think this year's winter has been the worst in the last few years as my symptons have been worse than they were last winter.

Just try and pace yourself - I know it's easier said than done and I'm still learning that. Take Care xx
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby fatanne1 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:08 pm

hi im new to this forum, but im also very desperate, ive been diagnosed 3 years with fibro but reckon ive had it about 10, in the last 2 years since surgery for a tumour its absolutely gasllopped forward, anyway im waffling im on a paticulary bad flair at mo and realy struggling crying everyday , feel very pathetic, but today ive been told again by someone I care for deeply that basicly there are always people mch worse off with terrible things in their lives, now can anyone tell me if im a bad person for thiking , I realy dnt care. that makes me feel terribly guilty as im a kind person who would always put myself out for someone else wheter I knew them or not. this awful awful illness proper messes with my head and makes me doubt myself as a mommy,wife or just friend.......... quite frankly tday I feel very sorry for myself..... :(
fatanne1
UKFM Member

Postby Estherlou » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:29 pm

Fatanne1 please please don't let anyone try to tell you how you're feeling, it's very easy for people to belittle FMs, but until someone has walked a day in your shoes how could they possibly know. You have an illness and its blooming hard to deal with. I understand how down it can make you, believe me I'm there now. Mys husband very rightly said to me tonight, that I have to stop letting other people's wants and expectations rule my life. I thought this was very true.
We have to understand our illness and in a way work with it to lead the life we want to. But you are the only one who can make that decision.
With family I think it's fear and lack of information that can sometimes mean they say things we find very hurtful.
The sticky on the top of this forum about spoon theory is a really good way to explain to them more.
Good luck honey, and please be kind to yourself :grouphug: :grouphug:
Estherlou
UKFM Member

Postby fatanne1 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:26 pm

thanx for your kind words , as you know its very hard to make people understand and I suppose we never will realy, your husband sounds like mine quite clued up,, although we wont tell them,, I do feel I let my hubby down although he always insists I don't. thank you so much again, tht was my first post and so glad I did it now.. take care of you. xxxxxxx :-)
fatanne1
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:15 pm

:wave: :wave: fatanne and :welcome: to the forum :welldone: in taking the plunge with your first post :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: And you're ore than entitled to have a day where you feel sorry for yourself. Even with the the most positive attitude you could possible have, there are times when things will pull you downwards.

You're definitely not a bad person for thinking like you are :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: Yes there are people out there that are worse than us, but for us to be able to do anything that might help improve things for them, we need to have ourselves in the best state and place we possibly can be, and to get ourselves there, we need to focus on how we are and what we need to do to start changing things for ourselves before doing things for others.

Try not to feel guilty about it, being the sort of person who will do anything and put themselves out to help another is a trait that a lot of us seem to share. And because of how we have previously been, others seem to struggle dealing with the fact that we are not quite the same now.

I'm with what Estherlou has said, we each need to find how we are affected by FM, then listen to our bodies and learn what we can do to try and make things as livable with as we can. And part of that process involves doing what her hubby has said, not letting the wants and expectations of others rule our lives.

Now you're part of our FibroFamily, have a bit of a look and a read around the boards when you get a bit of a chance. As well as lots of support for each other, we also share our thoughts and experiences about different things in the hope that something we have gone thru will be of help to someone finding themselves in a similar situation.

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia