Have I burnt out completely?!?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Postby MairiHarper » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:34 pm

Hi all,
I've been off sick since mid December and showing no signs of improvement. I've had flares before but only for a few days at a time, never on and on like this. In the months before I was off I know I went way overboard with working, coming home and crashing out, not able to do anything else until back to work next day. I'm wondering if this is really a temporary flare or have I maybe gone too far and burnt out? Will I ever get back to mobility again? Just managing to wash, prep ready meals and not much else. Has anybody had this and recovered? Really worried
Thanks all x
MairiHarper
UKFM Member

Re: Have I burnt out completely?!?

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:00 am

I don't know if you've burnt yourself out completely Mairi :-? :-? :-? With what you've said, it could be that everything has caught up with you all at once and floored you completely. Hopefully, with some resting and recuperating things will start to settle back down and you can start to very very gently do some small things for short periods of time as you find your way back to your level after this nasty flare.

A lot of us seem to have been taking even more of a battering FM~wise recently. Whether it's related to the season, weather, moon or anything else, I don't know :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: For me, this winter seems to be much more intense and hurty symptoms~wise :snowgrumpy: :snowgrumpy: :snowgrumpy:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby chookie » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:02 am

Hello M, I did get like how you describe in your post and I managed to come out of it after a few weeks, there's no telling with flares I'm afraid but be positive. Pace yourself and take it slowly, trying to push through it will make it harder so rest whenever you can, your body is telling you to :snore1:
Fibromyalgia, M.E, IBS, General Anxiety Disorder, Dyspraxia, Discalculia
chookie
UKFM Member

Postby chookie » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:04 am

what Flups says... the weather is making it harder too...
Fibromyalgia, M.E, IBS, General Anxiety Disorder, Dyspraxia, Discalculia
chookie
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:15 am

Hi M I was like you before I came off last May. My recovery is very slow and very stop ,go back a bit and then start again. I was at teh work doc in October & he doesn't want to see me until March /April as he doesn't expect much change before then.

I hear everyone talk about pacing but I seem to be hopeless at it, as I still have these moments were the meds have kicked in and I feel almost normal so go do too much ( which in practise to someone without FM would be nothing) and end up in bed for a few hours/ days.

OH is better than me at the pacing lark and had just suggested this evening that this week I only do 1 thing a day for 15/20 minutes and then rest up . We are going to monitor how I feel after it and write it down in a diary I got at the beginning of the year to log pain /fatigue etc.

Sorry its not more positive but we are all different, so your recovery might be along a totally different path.

Good luck
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby Estherlou » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:30 am

Hi Mairi, I'm sorry to hear you're having such a bad time of it. I'm in a pretty similar place right now. Where you feel something has to give. I've found work is just getting impossible, but it is scary to think what will happen if you don't. Everyone on here seems really supportive so hopefully they'll help you see this flare up through.
It's hard to accept the fact that time scale frequency and scale of flare ups is as random as it could possibly be. I guess the best thing is to just take time to be kind to yourself and accept that your body needs rest right now.
Hope you're feeling brighter soon xxx
Estherlou
UKFM Member

Postby LouLou » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:09 pm

Hi Mairi

It's hard to tell how long a "flare" will last as it's all so different for all of us. The longest flare I've had so far lasted 2 weeks and the shortest was a day. The important thing is to try and not push yourself when you are in the middle of a flare. Just listen to your body and only do what you can. I know that's easier said than done lol.

It sounds like this flare at the moment is your body's way of telling you to slow down as you were non stop before. I have everything crossed for you that it eases up soon. Lots of hot baths and early nights!

Take Care xxx
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby AKAzippy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:27 pm

Hi there I've only been recently diagnosed and boy do I feel rough. I'm a fighter but this has taken me down big time. I have been told that this weather has something to do with it. darkness making your body feel tired and sleepy. no sun light so a hint of SAD in the I think. I managed to walk 200metres today! that might sound crazy but I used to walk at least 2 miles a day with my dogs!
All I can say is that all those with FMS are suffering so lets hope some good weather improves our health soon x
AKAzippy
UKFM Newbie

Postby TATT » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:39 pm

Hi Mairi,

When my fibro started I had completely burnt out. My flare was for six months but during the last four of them due to rest I started to have good hours then afternoons till eventually days. Since May I now have flares that last from anything from a day to three weeks.

What I do know is there is light at the end of the tunnel, you HAVE to rest. Rest as much as possible and not just your body also your brain. Spend some rest time not reading or tv. I learned to meditate, to think of nothing and this has brought me from not being able to string a sentence together. To now starting to write a young children's book. (I hope).

Point is when a flare lasts a long time it can be a lonely dark place, I want you to know that it does get better if you look after yourself and stay in touch with everyone on here for support.

This forum helped me get through a very bad time in my flare. Also I am not suggesting your flare will last as long as mine as we are all different and my stress and anxiety kept me flared for longer than it should. Love yourself, listen to your body and know your not alone.

Tatt x
TATT
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:16 pm

Hi Mairi have you seen your GP to see if there is any extra help they can give you, as has been previously said a bad flare doesn't necessarily mean total burn out. Hopefully given some time (and these things can't be rushed) you will get back to somewhere near where you were.

I have always found that I never get back to exactly where I was, pain wise, before the flare and that is the same for a lot of people so dont be disappointed if you find you have a new pain level when you come out of this :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Iceskatemum » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:14 pm

Tatt you have expressed what I was trying to say in a much more positive slant. thank you :-D

Mairi I am still on the upward slope but I do hope that one day (who knows when) I will learn to be in a better place with this illness, from all that is written on this forum I do know its possible to gain a new you ......if you like an FM you .

You might not do all the things you did pre FM but everyone experiences different changes in thier lives ....it what we do with this one that counts . As my previous recent posts suggest I have been feeling very negative with regard my FM.... scared I will not get the hang of this pacing lark, wanting pacing to bring back the old me etc but a recent chat with someone has made me see that I can either sit & feel down about the FM or use this with in the limits the illness has given me as a new opportunity.

May be I am stil bouyed up with their words but I now hope to use it as a positive opportunity, sure there will be days I will feel like a wet rag but then I will rest , put it behind me and start all over again.

I have never seen myself as creative but in the next while I want to learn a new skill & to make something. Its not going to change the world but it is something I can do at my own pace and it will have a positive outcome at the end. Who knows how long it will take but hey I work in FM time which is a whole different clock to the rest of the world :lol:

take care and remember with baby steps , we can get through a flare :-D
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby maxtomads » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:32 pm

Hi ISM. I'm in the middle of a really bad flare that started a few days ago. Before that I'd been much more positive but this has knocked me down again.
You've helped me to see it differently. As you said, I was looking for a way of managing that allowed me to be the 'old' me. A lightbulb moment has been triggered by the way you've explained learning to enjoy being the new me & using it as an opportunity.
Unfortunately I can't give up work, or modify it more than I already have, but can change my approach to the rest of life.
Thank you so much for switching the light on :idea:

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain
maxtomads
UKFM Member

Postby vampireangela » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:07 pm

It's sounds bad when you come on here and Ur glad others feel the same not glad there in pain but glad Ur not alone, for a couple of months now I've been in agony I've been in this much pain before just not for this long I'm on a lot of meds but now the doc has given me oramorph as well. I agree that this cold weather is making it worse

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
vampireangela
UKFM Member

Postby Verohen » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:06 pm

Hi. I can empathise with you having been diagnosed with FM Burnout. I found an excellent Rheumy who believes in Fibro and is a main lead in research. I gave been off work since March and slept for the first two weeks non-stop! was also diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue. My pain levels unfortunately have worsened. Don't give up hope. You are not alone in your fight again this disease but you have to listen to your body and go along with it. Unfortunately I know have Osteoarthritis and will not return to work. But I am still in touch with employeurs. Try some Relaxation DVDs and a bit of meditation. This can help when you get hit by a flare. Good luck and take care xxx
Verohen
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:30 am

Max I can't take any credit as I was only expressing what someone else had disgust with me but glad it helped.

As you know I am still of on unpaid sick leave and I think the uncertainty of will I or won't I be medically retired was/is weighing very heavily on me. The advice to look at what the new FM me can do when off work is I think valid as it will hopefully give me better structure in my life and a sense of purpose and if I should go back to work at some time in the future then I will need to re adjust & apply all that I have learnt to the FM worker me.....I think that one will have to learn to delegate & learn to say no thats not part of my job more often :lol:

Good luck with things
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia