Audible and inapropriate

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Audible and inapropriate

Postby Jodie » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:15 am

Does anyone else ever draw unwanted attention to themselves by yelping in public?

The main pain that I get is shooting throbbing pain, so it seems to come out of nowhere and will just shoot down my elbow or leg causing me to yelp or squeak and act like someone's punched me.

It happens on public transport quite a lot and people always look around trying to find the person who assaulted me, giving each other the slightly confused 'stink-eye'.

It's actually very funny apart from the fact that it's painful, especially because I get anxiety so people's reaction then turns me in to a sweaty tomato.

Essentially, fibro-pain makes me look like a flailing, yelping, sweaty, awkward, pink little stranger.

Please tell me I'm not alone?
Jodie
UKFM Newbie

Re: Audible and inapropriate

Postby froggy72 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:51 am

no hunnie getting in the car then out i yelp or say fiddle sticks. at moment i am in severe agony with lower back 12 day s . gental hugs xxxxxxx :yikes: xxx
froggy72
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:42 am

Im another for moaning getting in and out of cars but I try not to yelp in public :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby tracyclarke » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:56 am

LOL Jodie

I am a massive sufferer of the good old Restless leg syndrome, but it is not just limited to my legs or at bedtime. Not so funny when sitting in the pub when my leg shoots off kicks the table and the drinks spill all over everyone :crazy: , or sat in some public place like a bus or hospital waiting room with a twitching annie :roll: , or even sat in a confined space like the cinema and you start elbowing the stranger sat next to you :evil: .

Who said having FM isn't fun!!!!!!!! LOL :oops:
tracyclarke
UKFM Member

Postby wilkoc » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:12 am

Totally understand. I've been yelping and gasping with lower back pain every time I've moved for the last week. The neighbors have been giving me very funny looks and I got a few stares in Sainsbury's car park too.

At least it gives us something to laugh about, even if it is that the neighbors think I'm getting up to all sorts while my husband's out! :-!
wilkoc
UKFM Member

Postby AJay71 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:35 am

Yes, this happens to me too... you're definitely not alone. Although I don't use public transport..... I can't walk the distance to station or bus stop! But I do yelp when a sudden Sharp pain hits.... regardless of where I am on who is around me.

I also have very bad balance.... even using my stick, I'm sure I must look like I've had a skin full.... funny thing is I'm tea total.

I never go out alone now... I have fallen over too many times... also I never know when my IS is going to strike!

I hate being like this.... it is truly debilitating.... but we just have to get on with it... I gave up caring what other people think of me a long time ago.

I wish I could say it gets better... but in my experience... it only gets worse. I've had this for 20 years!
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe
AJay71
UKFM Member

Postby Poseypig » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:11 am

I know it's serious but this has made me smile on a day when I feel like crap.

I make a whole range of odd noises with the sudden fibro pain....stairs getting in cars, standing up, lying down, bending, straightening...I've learned to ignore the odd looks from strangers when it happens in public and take comfort from knowing the important people in my life, the ones who really matter, know what I go through and don't mind my little 'oddities' of the fibro variety.
Poseypig
UKFM Member

Postby babajane32 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:24 am

Woke up after an hour zzzzzzzz on the settee to find tv off hubs and daughter whispering in the kitchen.....apparently keeping very quiet as I was making strange noises,they assumed I was being grumpy at my nap being disturbed.........not at all, was sooo tired after no sleep for days I was nodding watching the tv, intermittently waking and crying out I. Strange ways at the shooting pains......bless them for trying to be so considerate!
babajane32
UKFM Member

Postby dotty lotty » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:37 pm

My yelping only happens in bed when I twitch/jerk and the bigger the jerk the louder the yelp :crazy:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby bridesmum » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:56 pm

Do any of you get what I call the "electric cattle prod" when you feel like you've been tazere'd? That tends to make me yelp and jump.
Deb :yikes:
bridesmum
UKFM Member

Postby Pipsie » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:54 pm

I've got endometriosis, too and I get stabbing pains in my abdomen which make me yelp and my knees to buckle. No much we can do about it sadly, just laugh and get on with it! Hope you find some relief, though!
Pipsie
UKFM Member

Postby Jodie » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:01 pm

Poseypig - I was mainly sharing for comic value so I'm glad that it made you smile. I think it's good to find some fun in being a sicky and if that means laughing about accidentally knocking drinks all over all your mates or clumsily punching your partner in bed or even getting strange looks from strangers on buses because they think someone hit you then I say that's a break through. :-D

I have also learned not to care that much but it still doesn't stop me from turning bright pink and shiny. All the more humorous for everyone else though. :oops:

Bridesmum - I like that name. I think I might start using it. It is like a really sudden shock and pretty much what I imagine being tazered is like.

Fibro is probably the strangest illness that I have.

Does any body have any particularly funny (funny for fibro anyway) stories that they are happy to share?
Jodie
UKFM Newbie

Postby fatanne1 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:24 pm

lol those have made me laugh and I need that today, I think you realy have to retain humour with this illness, I have my mates im hysterics I think half the time they think im joking but unfortunately nah........ I have sudden sharp cattle pros ha, thas so funny and a great way to describe it in my knees and back,, I cant say I yelp lol that's funny too, but I do scream or sometimes swear quite loudly,, im sure my neighbours have concern over what goes on in our houselol. I hve been none to get stuck on the floor when I got down to do something and to watch my 5 year try his haredest to help has had me in fits cause im no light weight at mo due to drugs lol bit sick realy lol. but I have laughed so much ive pee'd bless my lovely kids. thanx a lot this has rite cheered me up, espec as ive just had words with other half and only logged on cause I was sulking.was :( know :lol:
fatanne1
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia