no fight left

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

no fight left

Postby bluebird123 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:20 am

i have had CFS for almost 13 years and fibromyagia 6 mths, I have always fought it and remained very positive even through my worst days,i have a great husband a two daughters 18 and 9, i have worked hard to retrain as a complementary therapist, and ran my own business off and on for 4 years, and then when i wasnt able to continue practising the therapies i decided to add to my skills and began a very intensive university course, still remaining positive most of the time despite being bullied and descriminated by my lecturer who is also the programme coordinator and year head. throughout this did my best to get on with things and keep a smile on my face.
Untill recently, it is getting harder and harder to get out of bed and fight this awful illness and the fatigue is horrendous ( pain is reasonably well managed in last 3 months) every little thing exhausts me even going for a shower, or eating a meal i can do very little for my self these last few months and im finding it increasing more difficult to remain positive when no one listens or believes me. i am due to go back to university next week for my final 12 week trimester and just cant face it.
despite receiving A and B grades throughout university my year head emailed today to say its unlikely ill get my degree as my performance has been too low, as well as poor attendance, ( this has been ongoing since the start of the course, due to poor health) she reccommends that i leave with a Dip HE, normally i would fight this sort of thing. but i dont have any fight in me, im so tired of just fighting to get through the day, i have no more to give :( :( :( :(
bluebird123
UKFM Newbie

Re: no fight left

Postby happyfeeling » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:54 am

Ive been suffering the fatigue the same as you, for little tasks exhurst me and ive been like that for about eight yrs now. I also have had alot of bullying as such and there's no doubt it really affects my condition and mental state. Really wish I could offer you some sound advice to do with your uni,seems such a shame as you've worked so hard. Just wanted to send you gentle hugs and wish you well.
happyfeeling
UKFM Newbie

Postby bulldog7274 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:32 am

Improve no expert but can't you fight that as discrimination because of your illnesses . Don't give fight the system even though its hard but remember we are always here ;-)
bulldog7274
UKFM Member

Postby Fibro Fi » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:46 am

Could someone fight on our behalf? It would be a shame not o get your degree after all your hard work.
Good luck! Xxxx
Fibro Fi
UKFM Member

Postby photomad » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:02 am

Why not go and see the uni's disability advisor...every uni has one. Tell them how you feel (that you are struggling) and complain about what your tutor has said re your pass mark. Attendance shouldn't make a difference to a grade. People with disabilities (and fibro is under that) often are granted more time to do work (and are allowed breaks) when you are finding it hard to cope. You have come this far don't give up now.

I know fatigue is a bagger and really stops people in their tracks. Get loads of rest this week. Go back to uni, finish your course and then shove the pass mark right up your tutors arse. You can do this.
photomad
UKFM Member

Postby fatanne1 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:14 pm

well sad photomad, just sending massive hugs to you and lots of grrrs to your year head, people just don't get it a day in our shoes and it would be a different story,,, sometimes the tiredness is overwhelming, I actualy think I could sleep forever,, but having to rest when that wave hits, makes my pain unbearable catch 22, I really hope they can sort it at uni you should not be penilised for an illness that no amount of meds can fully control. goodluck and lots of love.xxxxx :-) :goodluck2: :teddy-bear:
fatanne1
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:15 pm

Bluebird I agree with photomad, if this is your last trimester and you have been achieving good grades then your lecturer has no right to expect you to leave so close to your goal, I completely understand how hard it is for you to keep going but just think baby steps, a little bit at a time, every day you succeed is a step closer to the end and your goal sending some gentle :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Iceskatemum » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:41 am

I really don't understand where you year head is coming from . given uni's are all about number..... of student attending, ..completing parts of course and who graduated , you would think they would be offering more support to get you through this difficult time rather than less support.

I totally agree with others, contact the university disability advisor/ course tutor and alert them to this situation , the uni has a duty of care towards you and have to make provision for you to enable /help you achieve your goal.

Even if you were not able to physically get into uni at this stage you would think they could be working with you via remote technology systems or even let you repeat a semester so that you graduated later on . An employer doesn't really care if you don't graduate with people you have shared a course with , the big thing is to graduate.

Good luck and hope you can get things sorted.
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia