knee pain...advice please

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

knee pain...advice please

Postby bridesmum » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:25 pm

I was diagnosed with cfs and then fms in 2002/3. My symptoms have never gone away but like most people I have had waxes and waines. For about the last 3 or 4 weeks I keep getting an horrondous pain in the pack of my left knee which feels as though someone has hit it with an axe! The pain then radiates down my shin to my ankle and up into my hip. When it happens I almost go down and am stuck for a few seconds unable to move. This also happes when I'm in bad and just straighten my leg. I've seen my gp and she has manipulated it and it doesn't hurt, nor does it hurt to touch and it isn't swollen. I have had x-rays which shows some osteo-arthriris but my gp says the pain I describe doesn't sound like arthritis. I'm having to use a stick as my knee keeps going and I would fall if I didn't have the stick to keep me upright. This time last year I could walk up to 3 miles, now I can hardly get round Tesco! I am walking with my leg stiff and my foot hardly clears the ground. Does this sound like "just" fibromyalgia? The problem is that everything gets blamed on fibro and I sometimes wonder if it could be something else.
Deb
bridesmum
UKFM Member

Re: knee pain...advice please

Postby maxtomads » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:28 pm

Have you asked your gp to check your back? Sounds more like sciatic pain to me?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain
maxtomads
UKFM Member

Postby DeniseJ » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:55 pm

It may be worth checking out. When I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia a few months ago, I was also diagnosed with Osteoarthritis of both knees. A scan showed a rear in my right knee. It may not be the Fibromyalgia. Hope you get it sorted out. xx
DeniseJ
UKFM Newbie

Postby shazq » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:22 pm

HI
I dont have bad pain like you, my knees click every time i move them and give out on me, i have to use a walking stick now to stop me falling over. Have you tried using gel rubs like deep heat on them? or ice packs?
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby tmjarman » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:41 pm

This is something that I get regularly and have had for years. I believe that it is caused by the FM (dont have arthritis and had pain since about 25 years old - now 33). All I can suggest is avoiding stretching or pulling the leg in an awkward position and massage helps, even if you just massage around the hip joint as it seems to provide some relief. I went through a period of being wheelchair bound through this but it does get better. Generally I find that very low or high pressure (atmospheric) has an effect as well.
Good luck.
tmjarman
UKFM Newbie

Postby bridesmum » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:31 am

Thanks for all your replies. I had the same problem with my other knee a few years ago and was told that it was a torn ligament as when they pushed on the inside of my knee it really hurt. The problem is that as you all probably know the inside of your knee is a pressure point and always hurts to touch! I am having to walk with a stick and hate it when I bump into neighbors, aquaintances etc and they ask if I've had an accident and I don't always want to explain I have fibro. At the moment my walking is so painful that I feel I could do with a wheelchair and that really upsets and scares me. If fms was as well known about as MS it would be easier to explain to people and I think people would be more understanding.
What do you all think? Deb
bridesmum
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia