Can't sleep

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Can't sleep

Postby Fibro Fi » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:21 am

Hi there,
Just wondered if anyone out of the blue stopped being able to sleep?

I've really been struggling to get to sleep the past 2 weeks and to make matters worse my restless leg syndrome has come back with a vengeance! It's now 5.20am and I still haven't slept. I usually have a nap in the afternoons because I'm so tired but think I will need to stop because I can't keep going on like this

I don't know why this has suddenly started to happen. Any thoughts? Has anybody suddenly stopped being able to sleep? I've gone from sleeping between 11-14 hours to zero. Thank goodness I don't work!

Answers on a postcard please!
Fiona.
Fibro Fi
UKFM Member

Re: Can't sleep

Postby Iceskatemum » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:40 am

Sorry Fi, not being able to sleep is just one of those things with Fm, its like a flare up , it comes & goes all the time. At the moment I feel really tired but can' quite get the shut eye I need. Have asked the GP for help but like many things ..its sorry you just gotta get used to it . Not easy when you know others have managed to get tablets etc that may be able to help.

Hope you get back to a resonable sleep pattern very soon.
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby penfriend » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:06 am

Sleep is certainly a big problem for most of us. You either want to sleep all the time, or then go to hardly sleeping at all. I have M.E and Fibro and carpal, and have tried so many various ways to try to get to sleep at nights over the years. I am writing this before 5 a.m. as not been able to sleep, pain great, particularly hands/arms and legs. I do have a sleeping tablet 2 or 3 times a week which seems to give about 4-5 hours, and at other times, find that Panadol Nightpain helps, but generally only 2-3 hours. I did try years ago several different sleeping tablets, but the one I find with the less hangover is Loprazalom. Amazingly, I can always sleep during the day quite easily, which is rather annoying. I tried all the herbal products, always do that first anyway, but Valerian products just do not seem to suit, but have the opposite effect, in keeping awake.

As I am a christian, I do sometimes lay and quote bible verses, rather than count sheep, and this sometimes works.

I think keeping warm helps to promote sleep, unless of course, we are in the burning/sweating stages, which are awful. Then its one extreme to the other.

If anyone has any further thoughts of help, please let us all know. sincerely, Penfriend
penfriend
UKFM Member

Postby grazazel » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:17 am

Hi I have tried having naps in the afternoon and I have tried staying awake all day and in my experience it hasn't made a difference as to whether I sleep at night or not, I regularly go to bed then after a couple of hours my body has decided it had enough sleep and then I am awake for rest of night. The only thing I can suggest is find something to do to pass the time, but you are not alone in this
grazazel
UKFM Newbie

Postby wanita2k » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:53 am

I find if i dont have nap when needed i just dont sleep at all. Ur body tells u when its had enough u should listen to it otherwise it will just get worse
wanita2k
UKFM Member

Postby Pipsie » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:02 am

I am a notoriously bad sleeper, even before FM raised it's ugly head. I would advise the following:
Try getting a SAD bulb (MUCH cheaper than the lamps, just ass effective), as your inability to sleep maybe due to the lack of day light, especially if you are sleeping in the afternoons.
I would also try herbal sleeping tablets to help you drop off, I find them very useful.
Also, no reading TV, computer, fone, or anything else stimulating half an hour before bed, bathing is a good relaxing time filler before bed. Failing that I would go to see your doctor, and ask him about a brief cause of melatonin, though they may not give it to you if you are under 60 which I will never understand- you can buy it over the counter in the USA.
I hope this cycle breaks for you soon!
P :)
Pipsie
UKFM Member

Postby Pipsie » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:04 am

Oh, and one more thing: STAY OFF CAFFEINE UNTIL YOU HAVE FIXED YOUR SLEEP!!! :-)
Pipsie
UKFM Member

Postby Liver Bird L4 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:28 pm

I too struggle with my sleep.

I practice daily meditation and if I'm struggling at night, which at the moment is every night, I put on the CD. After 15 odd mins of listening to the guy talking and focusing on my breath, I'm usually back asleep.

I have a Google nexus tablet which I have uploaded my CDs onto. I keep it by my bedside with my headphones plugged in. Because it's a tablet it runs in silence and after 1 minute the screen turns off keeping the room dark as well.

I have been doing this for 3 weeks and it has really helped, not all the time because sometimes there is just too much pain. But if its due to restlessness of leg's... It helps.

As peer usual with this condition, this advice comes with a could help, not a will help, but it's worth a try.
Liver Bird L4
UKFM Member

Postby scoke » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:48 pm

i, for years, had problems sleeping - all of the possible problems together or at different times, and was getting an average of 3 hours a night. Funnily enough I was coping ok with this and not able to sleep in the day but decided I had to do something - here's a list of things I've tried that have helped me improve my average to 6 hours a night - amazing, though I don't often feel rested......(i didn't see any difference whether i rested or slept during the day or not nor did avoiding caffeine help, not reading before bed kept me awake as my mind started racing and anxiety increased, keeping me awake)

Wear bed socks,you can slip them off easily if you get too hot, Comfy mattress (no ridges), try to set a time to put out light every night and then stay lying down for 7 hours - don't sit up till then (doesn't always work, I give in and read sometimes or get up), try naming 3things you can hear, 3 you can feel then 3 objects, go down to 2 of each then 1 - usually doin't get that far, say 'the' randomly, have a white noise machine running - blocks out quite a lot of sound. I have a pillow under my upper leg to stop my spine twisting so hurting my waist, my head pillow has a tube of memory foam for under my neck but synthetic fibre filling for my head (my ear goes numb on memory foam), night clothes are loose but have sleeves especially shoulder covering. Loads of things I've tried - some work sometimes, some never work, nothing always works - experiment....
scoke
UKFM Member

Postby lou@4072 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:04 am

Hi

I have trouble with my sleep. It doest matter what time i go to bed i will be up 3 or 4 times a night :(

It dont help when i have to get my childern up for school as i may have only had 1 hour sleep. Doctors are putting me on Amitriptyline next week so i hope that will help me. xx
lou@4072
UKFM Newbie

Postby goldenlou » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:15 am

I have never been a good sleeper, on average i get about 4/5 hours a night, but even those are restless. I think all the years of non
sleeping is one of the causes of my fm, as the body repairs itself through sleep and when its not getting any, well how can it repair.
goldenlou
UKFM Member

Postby LouLou » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:42 pm

Hi Fibro Fi

I tend to go through stages of being able to sleep (though not a deep sleep) to not sleeping very well at all. I have found that my sleeping has become much better the last few months. I use lots of lavender products in a warm bath just before I go to bed (about an hour before) I use the Radox sleep easy bubble bath and shower gel and then use a lavender scented body cream. If I'm feeling really tired and not sure if I'll sleep then I mix a tiny bit of lavender oil in my moisturiser.

I also try and get into bed about an hour before I want to be asleep, then I try and clear my mind and relax my body. I find reading in bed helps me doze off too.

I used to be on mirtazapine (an anti depressant which helps sleep too) which I found worked a lot of the time in regards to getting sleep but since I came off it before Christmas my sleep seems to have improved. I think I've got my body into such a routine now (like a baby lol) that it knows when to shut off.

I still get odd nights where I don't sleep well at all but overall I've found using lavender has helped loads. I think there are a few other types of oils you can use like lavender if you don't like the smell lol. I hated the idea of taking more tablets and really wanted to try something natural.

Hope that helps.
xx
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby Fibro Fi » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:14 pm

Many thanks for your replies everyone!
I'm sure my sleep would be better if my hubby didn't snore so much as well! Lol.
Seeing the GP soon so will ask for something.
Take care.
Fi.
Xxx
Fibro Fi
UKFM Member

Can't sleep

Postby toplessbug » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:09 pm

I've gone from no sleep (or only 1 to 2hrs) to only being awake 3-4 hrs a day. I can't win.

Sent from my iPhone using the force :-)
toplessbug
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:43 am

HELP I just can't sleep at the moment, the last few nights it has been getting really bad at most I manage at about 2 x 2 hr blocks of sleep per night . I am beginning to feel sleep deprived . I have previously been to the doctor and specifically asked for something to help me sleep , all she sesponded was to use some good sleep hygenine which I did as soo s possible.

Anybody any non medical ideas?
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia