Can't sleep

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Can't sleep

Postby LouLou » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:32 am

Oh ISM :hugs:

The only thing I can suggest is using something like lavender oil, or there are other types of oils that help relax you but I don't know what they are called lol. I just use lavender everything in the bath and have a bath just before I want to get into bed so I can literally get straight in. I also mix a bit of oil in my moisturiser and rub a tiny bit on my kneck and by my ears.

I've found that this works for me and I am sleeping much better but I also think that's partly down to being on mirtazapene for a few months last year. MY GP put me on them to help me sleep and I found I got my body into a routine with them and when I cam off them my body seems to have remembered the routine. I still have nights when I don't get much sleep but on the whole it's much better than it used to be.

If you can't switch off because you're thinking of lots of things at bedtime, keep a pad by the bed and jot things down. That way you know that you won't forget things in the morning and can put your mind at ease. I also tend to read in bed for about half an hour as watching tv just before bed makes me feel more awake.

I hope that helps in some way.

xx
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby Iceskatemum » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:51 am

Thanks Lou Lou , as part of my sleep hygene routine I use a lavender pillow spray , I also have a night cream that has lavender in it but tend not to use it every night as it is quite heavy. I don't let the TV on in the bedroom, have even tried reading for a short while but that was causing too much stress as my concentration wasn't too good and I make sure I have cereal or something similar and warm milk before going up to bed - all the things that are meant to aid sleep .

I reread my last post and :lol: at the last few lines ...don't know how anyone was meant to understand that! Just shows what lack of sleep /FM does to your typing . Its meant to read ...all she responded with was the use of good sleep hygiene practices.

I can't understand why my doc is so fixed about not giving me any muscle relaxants or something to help me sleep..I know I am on a lot of meds but aren't we all ! I have to admit my Mother in Law gave me a few diazipam (2mg) to see if that helped but they didn't. Before you all shout at me I don't usually take other peoples meds but I was so desperate..... I even thought of having a few drinks before bed to see if that helped ( I don't usually drink)

I have an appointment with the pain clinic soon and am going to mention it then ...I'm starting to pity the poor doctor at the clinic I have a list of questions that is growing by the day

Thanks again

ISm x
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby LouLou » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:08 pm

I understood what you meant ISM lol I think we all talk and understand Foggy Language lol.

My GP really didn't want me to go on anything else than what I'm on at the moment but I like you was so desperate for just one night of sleep. I've always found that I can cope with the pain ok but the tiredness is what gets me down and when I have both together it's best I just don't get out of bed at all lol.

I did eventually win my GP round but he only put me on the anti depressants for a few months to see how I got on, and as I said before I found they helped me get into a routine to sleeping better. GP's do tend to not want to prescribe anything long term for sleeping though as they always say the tablets are a short term solution and should just help your body work itself out. May be worth asking your GP if you could try something for a 3-6 month period and then review it. You can't carry on not sleeping the way you are it's not going to help your other symptoms. And when we sleep is when the body should be healing itself lol (though I think mine just shuts off for the night)

I've got a lavender spray too from avon and they do this balm stuff that you massage a tiny bit onto your temples and wrists. I have sensitive skin so I can't use anything heavy either. I've been using the Johnsons baby dreamy lotion as it's quite light and mixed with some lavender oil it doesn't feel too heavy on my skin. The bubble bath is fab too I'm definitely using this stuff when I have a baby lol.

Let me know how you get on, just be a bit persistent about how the lack of sleep is really affecting you. I have everything crossed for you
xxx
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby Iceskatemum » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:47 pm

:lol: :lol: We must have got the same pre christmas deal from Avon as I got a "slumber pack " or something like that ..it was full of product that are meant to aid you off to the land of :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

Hears hoping I get some sleep soon as I tend to get very rattie and short tempered if I don't get my sleep , combine that with Fm and you have a powder keg waiting to happen :yikes:

Will let you know how I get on
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby Iceskatemum » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:29 am

Well I did it ..I managed to get what I would call a full nights sleep...don't get me wrong I still woke up a couple of times , but the difference was I went back to sleep in about 10-15 minutes not hours later.

Just in case it might be of use to anyone else.......Things Idid differently,.....given I wasn't going to be up moving around I reduced my night time SR Tramadol , I had a big mug of hot chocolate and then I went back to two duvets on my side of the bed rather than one & the electric blanket.

I do feel better for it but given I have had so many sleepless nights recently ...I could still do with an extra 12 hours. :lol:
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby LouLou » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:04 am

:clap: :clap: :clap: so happy for you ISM I know what a big difference just a few hours of decent sleep makes. It's amazing that just by changing a few things around you were able to get some sleep, it's just about finding what's right for you which seems to be the common theme with FM lol.

I stayed at my best freinds last night (she also works in the same office as me) and we were up talking till gone 10pm. I know that doesn't sound late but to me when I'm normally bathed and tucked up by 9pm I feel like I did a mad session clubbing last night lol.

I hope you get to catch up on some more sleep

xx
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Previous

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia