Fed up having to work through pain..

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Fed up having to work through pain..

Postby holmess » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:18 pm

Hi all,
Just here for a moan, sorry!!
I'm currently working full time, went back to work just before Christmas after yet another 12 weeks off with a flare up. I have asked if I could finish work each Mon/Wed/Frid at 2pm and work at home late afternoon / early evening for 1.5 hours to complete my full day, (after having a rest at home for a couple of hours as I really dip after lunch), this has been refused as I was told it makes me look "part-time", (I manage a team of 10 data processors), but told I can work at home Wednesdays (as long as nothing crops up!!) I've already had a request to work Mon to Frid 8am to 2pm, rejected due to business needs. I'm completely exhausted, I can't afford to give my job up but working full time is both painful and exhausting!!
My husband and family are great but don't realise the pain I'm in constantly!! As you all probably know only too well, it's not always 'obvious' to everyone that you have a problem. It seems over the last year there has been no let up with pain. I'm on Ami which does help me sleep, I take codeine in the day (but have to forego it at work as it makes me really dopey), consultant at pain clinic has given me Baclofen but told me not to take it when driving or working. I've had injections for my back, shoulder and arm, which to be honest have done nothing, so pain clinic put me back into Drs care. Is it possible for me to try and arrange an occupational health visit or do I have to approach them via my employer. Sorry for going on a bit, it's just difficult to offload on my family without sounding like I'm moaning.... On another note I hope you all manage to avoid disruptions as a result of the snow expected later tonight!!
Take care.. Sharon
holmess
UKFM Member

Re: Fed up having to work through pain..

Postby difly » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:35 am

Hi sorry to hear you havent had much respite from the pain for a while , know what you mean about being fedup working through the pain I also work full time and some days carnt function with the pain and fatique ,as for the pain management i also have to watch what i take so that i can drive safely and have all my wits about me , sounds like you need a review of your meds refer back to see rhuemy. as for work speak direct to ocy health and tell them how you feel and ask for their support . fibro does fall under DDA .Its so true when you say its not obvious when we have fibro we suffer in silence most of the time and we dont wear a label ,hope you can sort things at work soon ,take care xx
difly
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:42 am

I really feel for you :( :( :( you should be able to see an OT but not sure how you would go about it, Perhaps your HR department could help :?: :?: :?: or try your doc and ask them :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: you get something sorted :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Tina1963 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:20 pm

HI Holmess

Please don't worry about having a little moan, we all need one. Family and friends must dread asking us how we are in case we tell them the truth. Well on here its different, we'll listen as we all know whats its like. Really hope you find a sympathetic person at work or OT. I just don't know how u cope with the fog and being over 10 people. I am a foot practitioner, like a chiropodist. I done 1 of my clients feet and started to pack up.... totally forgot about the other one. What a nutter eh?

Take care, rest when you can and keep fighting xx :-?
Tina1963
UKFM Member

Postby Tina1963 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:57 pm

Now I lay me down to sleep,

I pray it's good, and long, and deep.

For if I awake before night wanes,

I'll be tired and 'foggy' and full of pains! :sleep:
Tina1963
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:28 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: like that Tina :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby dotty lotty » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:43 pm

Yes Tina very true but it did make me :lol: :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:16 pm

Given I am in a bad place at the minute through lack of sleep I really did like your poem....may be one to show the OH.

Thanks
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby holmess » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:08 pm

Thanks all for the advice. I think I'm going to speak to my manager and HR tomorrow, if no joy I'll go back to GP. It's ridiculous, they say they don't want you going off ill again then do naff all to help support you!! Crazy.
I like the comment from the lady who only treated one of her clients feet.. did you only charge her half price :lol: :lol:
Tina, love the poem as well. So true.

Thanks all for the replies, It's good to know I'm not alone in this. took me ages to type and correct this, I'm having a bad spelling day :oops:
holmess
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia