Long lie

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Long lie

Postby dotty lotty » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:08 am

At GP yesterday and he increased my Gabapentin. Had to take 2 last night and slept till 7.15am and not up once. Hope it was not just a 1 off :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Re: Long lie

Postby bulldog7274 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:22 pm

I started on them last week to help with the pain but if they help me sleep then that's a bonus in my books
bulldog7274
UKFM Member

Postby Pipsie » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:36 pm

I have had some really good relief with them, though the doctor took a while upping the dose, and it wasn't until I was one 2400mg that I really noticed the difference: Sleeping has improved though I do wake up during the night it's never (usually) for long. I still have bad days with lots of pain and sleepless nights but the frequency is less, and the severity (sometimes) has lessened, too. I would recommend them to anyone with FM, I really hope they work for you guys :)
Pipsie
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:25 pm

Hope it continues to work for you :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby dotty lotty » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:47 pm

Just hope I wasn't counting my :chicken: :chicken: last night. :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby Krum13 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:16 am

Me too, Gabapentin 300mg three times a day. After a few months it wears off. And you are back to square one.
I increase my dose myself. You must always take it bang on time every day. If you do not follow a strict regime in taking this drug it will not work. You can top it up with paracetamol and ibuprofen. I also take a sleep med. after 3 years
The once brill releif i use to get the effects have some what diminished now. They do not seem as effective any more.
I drink a small alcoholic spirt before bed time. Just one. Now that knocks me out on top of the drugs, and 10mg of ampitrip,
Good luck, it is at first an amazing drug, how ever your body eventually gets use to it, and that's when the drug becomes ineffective.
Doctors are reluctant to up the dosage of this drug gabapentin. I am not sure why. It can cause weight gain and bigger breasts.
Read the contradictions in the packs of gabapentin.
All the best. Hope you get some relief. O, and sleep....
Krum13
UKFM Newbie

Postby dotty lotty » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:47 am

Thanks Krum my long lie seemed to be a one off :( but at least I got one). Still increasing to 2 tabs 3 times a day but will bear in mind taking them at exactly the same time (morning and night ok just the middle of the day ) :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:54 pm

Krum13 wrote:I increase my dose myself. You must always take it bang on time every day. If you do not follow a strict regime in taking this drug it will not work. You can top it up with paracetamol and ibuprofen. I also take a sleep med. after 3 years

I drink a small alcoholic spirt before bed time. Just one. Now that knocks me out on top of the drugs, and 10mg of ampitrip,
Good luck, it is at first an amazing drug, how ever your body eventually gets use to it, and that's when the drug becomes ineffective.
Doctors are reluctant to up the dosage of this drug gabapentin. I am not sure why. It can cause weight gain and bigger breasts.
Read the contradictions in the packs of gabapentin.

We never recommended that anyone increases their own meds without their docs permission or take other medication on top without checking its ok to take them with the medication you are already taking.

I had no problems with my gp increasing my dose while i was using Gabas.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby dotty lotty » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:15 am

No it was my GP who said to increase it slowly to minimise side effects. He has been really helpful. Hope nobody thought I was increasing it myself :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia