how to get family to understand

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

how to get family to understand

Postby helen1973 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:45 pm

ive been struggling since 2011 to get my family and friends :too-upset: :waiting: to understand what its like to live with fibro and getting no where fast never seem to be pain free since my crash in april last year but would love to be able to talk to people wgho know what i feel or how my mind feels about living day in and day out with it
helen1973
UKFM Newbie

Re: how to get family to understand

Postby jamieww » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:58 pm

Try downloading the 'Spoon Theory' it may help....
Pregabalin 600mg (2x300mg)/Butrans Patch 52.5mcgrm per hr/Hydrocortisone cream1% (for the 'burn' mark left with the patch)/Diazepam 30mg (10mg x 3)/lithium 800mg/Esomeprazole 20mg/Paracetamol 4000mg (8 x 500mg)/Sertraline 200mg/Risperidone 6mg
jamieww
UKFM Newbie

Postby liv » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:07 pm

It is very difficult. I have given up trying to explain to some people I thought were close friends. By the nature of our condition I think the frustration makes us feel worse through trying ...... as with all the explanations we go through to some in the medical profession before a diagnosis.

When I sat in on a one off group (Fibro) meeting run by a physio and occupational therapist at the local hospitsal and both accepted and spoke of our symptoms unconditionally and with support is made me want to cry ..... finally someone without the condition had listened and actually heard and understood.

Pease excuse the rant :-)
liv
UKFM Member

Postby ermintrude » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:16 pm

Have you tried using the Spoon Theory? You can google it if you cant find it on here. Or other links on FIbro.

Alternatively, I have heard others have given hand written letters to people explaining it all to other people.

Personally, I have sent link to my friends and my sis in law which has helped. I spoke to my mum and in laws. My mum and father in law dismissed the subject and my mother in law became and expert in it all over night.

Good luck.
ermintrude
UKFM Newbie

Postby loubie » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:08 am

hi helen
welcome to the forum :-D

i don't explain myself anymore to anyone.
family ask how am i, i just say plodding on and friends what are friends??
they all vanished :roll: so they wasn't my friends in the first place was they :roll:

have a look down the boards for .... one to show the non believers.
that is very good, and it was our very own shaz that wrote it (mod shaz)

don't let them get you down because that will feed your fibro making you even more ill
and they will just carry on as normal,with no upset at all :-x

try taking your mum with you when you see your gp (if you have a good one) and ask him/her
to explain about it.

keep your chin up, its not your fault you have this illness, none of us asked for it :yikes:

:flowers:
loubie xx

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are
no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of
UKFibromyalgia.
loubie
UKFM Regular

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia