Painful arms??

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Painful arms??

Postby DonnaLily » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:47 am

Hi all,

I hope you are all well today?

I get these pains in both arms every few weeks I just wanted to run by you all, it's like I've trapped a nerve from my elbow to shoulder it's almost a pulling pain when I move, but also when I lay down, I can't move my arms properly and have to stick my elbow out first to straighten my arms, and can't twist my wrist without pain, it tends to happen after hoovering or something like that, starts with the right arm (I'm right handed) then because I'm trying not to use it much it spreads to my left arm, then I'm stuck with it for weeks :-(

Anyone else get this? I've booked in with my physio Thursday in the hope that he has some exercises to help reduce the pain and length of time I have it

Donna xx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away"
DonnaLily
UKFM Member

Re: Painful arms??

Postby Tina1963 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:14 pm

Hi DonnaLily

I have pain in my right arm, but mine feels like a big bruise, and my elbow feel like there's an elastic band being twanged when I move it. Listening to others I think its just another place we suffer. Mine gets very weak, and like its dead, got no use in it at all....I don't know if this has helped... but I've enjoyed moaning lol

Take care and keep it warm

Tina x
Tina1963
UKFM Member

Postby moomoos » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:32 pm

Hi Donna, I have very bad pain in my arms all the time from the inside elbow areas, my left is worse than my right, tho i'm right handed. It kinda feels like its dislocated somehow in the left and i cant straighten my arm at all, its far too painful. my wrists also hurt really bad all the time, as do my fingers. Sometimes like Tina said, my left arm in particular feels dead like theres something gone wrong with it from the inside elbow area and its very painful.

I dont know if this has helped in any way, but i hope you will get some relief from it some how xx
moomoos
UKFM Member

Painful arms??

Postby DonnaLily » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:56 pm

Ouch :-/

I get the elastic band snappy thing too, also tingly hands when I'm holding something like a light shopping bag or anything slightly heavier then a mobile phone, almost as though circulation is effected somehow, and thinking about it more, my arms do tend to feel bruised at times, probably just another FM thing then, ill let you know what my physio says, he's very fibro friendly :-)

Xxx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away"
DonnaLily
UKFM Member

Postby LouLou » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:23 pm

Hi Donna

I get the same kind of pain in my right wrist/hand all up to my shoulder and round the top part of my back. My right wrist is actually where my pains and FM started. To me it also feels like a trapped nerve and is a constant throbbing with some sharp pains. It's only my right wrist/arm and I'm right handed too. My GP tested me for carpal tunnel first of all but that came back clear.

I also work in an office so I'm on the computer a lot and find that if I'm been really busy then I'll get this pain for a few hours,so I think overuse may be causing this is both of us as you said you get yours after hoovering.

May be worth getting it double checked just in case but I'm also having physio at the moment and some of the wrist and arm stretches they have given me have really helped with this pain.

Hope that helps :-)
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby caz59uk » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:30 pm

Hi DonnaLily

Just a thought, could it be carpal tunnel. I had it a few years ago and what your experiencing sounds very similar. Maybe it's worth asking the physio when you see him.

Hope this is helpful :lol: Caz :lol:
caz59uk
UKFM Member

Painful arms??

Postby DonnaLily » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:54 pm

Thanks ladies,

Sounds the same Lou Lou, ill mention carpel tunnel on Thursday, need a review at GP too this month so will mention it then too xx
DonnaLily
UKFM Member

Postby Pepperty » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:17 pm

I have permenantly tingling hands - plus the atypical weak grasp and poor co-ordination....my dinner service is chipped and battered and i've lost count of the jars I've dropped and smashed on tiled kitchen floor :( its so frustrating!

I did read that carpel tunnel, with tingling across only 3 far fingers (that i tend to have) is more likely an impinged nerve in elbow? But I'm not up for any minor op as my pain threshold is so poor - I feel queasy just thinking about the pain :shock: and what if I had an operation to find out later that it was just a fibro issue :roll: doesnt bear thinking about!
Pepperty
UKFM Member

Postby moomoos » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:12 pm

Hey Donna, I actually have carpal tunnel, I got it during pregnancy and it never went away after. I never got the twanging feeling, but did get extreme pain from my wrist all the way up my arm and it was dreadful, used to keep me awake at night and i had to see a physio in end cos it was just so bad. She fitted me with splints and it gave some relief but not much really. I used to have numb fingers, not the index finger, just the other 3, and thats what i get these days. I was offered surgery on both hands but refused cos I'm a wimp when it comes to anything medical n hospitals etc etc etc. Some days now I wish I'd taken them up on the offer of surgery as it can be painful now along with this FM. I also used to work as a PA and did huge amounts of typing during my working days.

Hope you get it sorted what ever it may be? xx
moomoos
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia