Extreme Fatigue

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Extreme Fatigue

Postby Cybermum » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:55 pm

The pain is bad enough, but the extreme fatigue is really getting me down now. I can't even function most the time. I feel like a Zombie. I am that exhausted that my Fibro fog memory is even worse, I'm also getting very snappy with people. Especially if they butt in when I am talking, because mainly, I do not have the energy to repeat myself, although also, because I know I will forget what I was saying.
I suffer from depression and stress anyway, but it seems to be getting worse because I feel so down from feeling so tired. My anxiety and panic attacks are also worse when I am like this because I am frightened to go out as I get to the stage where I just cannot do anymore. And I can't see my local Asda appreciating me having to sit in a corner of their store and having a sleep. :sleep:
I just feel like I cannot cope anymore with this severe exhaustion. Sometimes I just lie down and cry because I feel so useless. I even look exhausted. Dark circles under my eyes looking like old bruises, and I look so pale.
I think it's harder to deal with because we know ity may go away, but only for a while.
I had a flu bug back in November, and I've not picked up since then. My fibro often affects my throat and glands, leaving me very croaky and sore throat. It's never been right since having Strep throat in 2011. But since November I've only had a few good days. Even just going out for a drive with my partner and my kids(my partner does the driving) all day on a Sunday and visit friends and family, I am a wreck on the Monday and pretty much end up in bed all day.
Aarrrrgggghhhhhhhh, this has turned into a big whinge, sorry. I am just sooooooooooo flamin exhausted, I could, and do cry!!!
Please tell me I am not alone in having the fatigue so severley?
Should mention, I am on 40mg Fluxotine, 50mg slow release Tramadol, plus 50 mg normal Tramadol to take 2 as and when needed and 50mg Amitripyline. But had the severe fatigue before my Ami dosage was upped. So I know it's not that causing it.

From a very miserable :(
Jo

xx
Cybermum
UKFM Member

Re: Extreme Fatigue

Postby denys » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:26 pm

Hi Jo no you are not alone, in fact there is another post saying much the same thing as you in associated and other conditions :-D :-D

Have you been back to the doc and told them just how bad it is as you may just end up with another label (ME/CFS) to go along with the fibro sticker I dont know, but it seems as though you could do with some help. Maybe its your meds combination :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: but definitely get an appointment :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Cybermum » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:38 pm

Thanks for replying. It took me 3 years for any doctors to take me seriously with this. 2 years in my old town, then another year here where I live. They just always wanted to label me as depressed and grieving(I had a baby in 2008 who passed away).
I have put on a fair bit of weight over the last few years(I wasn't light before then though. lol) and even with my diagnosis my GP likes to bring my weight into anything I go to see her about, especially when it's to do with my back.
I think there is one more GP I can try at my surgery before giving up on them all. I only got my diagnosis because my GP got that fed up of me going to her about pains etc that she referred me to a Rheumatologist and he diagnosed it a year ago. Blimey, it's hard to be optomistic when this tired isn't it? lol. :crazy:
I will book an appt.
Thanks

Jo
xx
Cybermum
UKFM Member

Postby Pipsie » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:56 pm

I agree with Julia about tramadol, it's a nasty drug, in my opinion much worse than opiates, The first thing I advise is to stop worrying about other people, and their opinions. Nuts to them, concentrate on you, and what you need to get better. It's energy mis-spent. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do!
Secondly, I would go and see your doctor and talking to them about changing the pain medication you are as it is obviously contributing to your symptoms (tramadol can also make anxiety and depression worse, as well fatigue). At the very least, ask them to try you on co-codamol, or just plain codeine for a while. You may find your have a tolerance to tramadol, too so a change may result in you feeling the effects more, at the very least. If you suffer from twitches/tingles/spasms I would enquire about gabapentine, which I have found very useful. It works neurologically, building up in the system, and doesn't leave one feeling like a zombie. In fact, I'd ask anyway as it does help tremendously with pain
TENS machines are also a God-send so I'd invest in one if you, or try one from Boots to see if it's the thing for you. Again, I have found this useful. I have also found heat therapy to be good- even in the form of a hot water or a hot bath. Make sure you are eating well, too. No fuel can do awful things to the body, and tramadol can make one's appetite non existent. Fresh soup and smoothies are good way of getting calories into you, even when your throat is huge. I also find alternating sips of hot and cold drinks help to soothe a sore throat, as well as honey, lemon, and glycerin linctus or pastels. You can get these from Boot's, too.
As for sleep, I was a baaad sleeper before fibro, so I know a trick or two! Valerian, hops, passiflora, and jamaican dog wood are all herbs which help you sleep, especially valerian. You can get pills with variations of these herbs over the counter from pretty much anywhere, or you can buy the herbs from somewhere like Neal's Yard Remedies, who have an online shop. Read up about them first, and check all information thoroughly to make sure there are no contra-indications indicated for you. A warm cup of horlicks just before bed will help, too. Studies indicate that a warm milky mineral filled drink helps one to nod off.
Ultimately, stay strong, things will start to noticeably improve, have faith. We all have our bad periods, and times of desolation but we come through eventually. Take comfort in your husband and children who love you, and where ever else you can find it, and don't be hard on yourself, you're doing your best, and that's all any one can ask.
Pipsie
UKFM Member

Postby dotty lotty » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:20 pm

Hi Jo lots of good advice from Pipsie. I agree about tramadol when I took it for my busted ribs it knocked me for 6. I also take valerain at night but watch for interactions with prescribed medication.
I found duloxitine really helped in the begining but since the end of last year as the pain worsened and GP put me on gabapentine which we are increasing slowly.
You need to go back to your GP take a list of symptoms and how you are feeling and be assertive re your treatment.(often easier said than done ). Take a friend or relative for moral support.
You are going through a really bad time so take care and hopefully better days are coming soon. xx :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:22 pm

I have a good friend who has CFS/ME and she reckons my fatigue is worse than hers! so totally understand where you are coming from .

Most days are PJ days and if I do manage to do something at the weekend then it is usually followed by a day in bed as I get so fatigued I also get more shaky/ teary than usual .

I also take Slow release Tramadol but as I've been like this from before I was changed to Tramadol around Christmas I don't think thats the cause. The Tramadol has however managed to give me a bit of respite from the pain.

Not sure about anyone else but I find the fatigue almost worse to cope with than the pain as it tends to make you look lazy and feel guilty.
as others do what you used to see as your role. Most people might understand the pain part but can't understand the tiredness given you haven't done anything as to most folk tiredness sets in after you have carried out a physical activity.

My OH is very good but even he has difficulty understanding how I can be so fatigued at times. I also find the fatigue gets worse the colder it is, so I haven't been helped the last few weeks with the snowey weather we've been having.

Another time the fatigue will get worse is when I have bouts of not sleeping , the 2 hrs sleep then 22 hrs trying to get to sleep you are so tired. Like others I have found some alternative therapies & old wives tales have helped . I use a lavender spray on my pillow, have a lavender night creme which I lather on every so often ( too rich for every day ) and will take a warm bath with essential oils. as well as the lavender I have found geranium and orange are quite good. I have also found a set bed time regime is good and drinking a milky drink. I tried horlicks but it tasted so different from when I was a child I have had to resot to old fashioned hot chocolate.

Its nice to say that after a terrible few weeks were I had an awful sleep pattern I have managed to sleep the last three nights . A non fibromite might think its was a terrible night sleep but as we all know anything over 4 hrs is a miracle.

Good luck with everything and hope you get some suppport from your GP. Remember this time will pass it can't last for ever

X
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby Pepperty » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:35 pm

oh I really sympathise with you over lack of sleep and exhaustion. If your doctor can concentrate on helping you with extra sleep I'm sure you will find pain more manageable? I'm sorry to hear you are having such ahard time of things lately.

I say this as my sleep has improved over the past 6 months on amitrypline and now I'm not having fibrofog and sudden waves of exaustion and I'm feeling far better, I'm sure the pain is no less, but I can cope so much better after a good nights sleep. I hope you can find an answer soon. It definatley sounds like you need to go and see your G.P you cant go on feeling like this :hugs:
Pepperty
UKFM Member

Postby jom2774 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:15 pm

You are definitely not alone. I am struggling with extreme fatigue at the moment too and have been for the last month. I have been in a flare with both pain and fatigue since we had the last snow. Instead of taking 10 to 15 minutes to get home, it took 2 and a half hours. I cannot drive for more than half an hour without extreme pain.
This week I have had a cold and I gave into my GP, who signed me off for a week, although I only work 22 hours. I have slept for England. It has been 3 or 4 hours a day and before this week about 1.5 to 2 hours.
It's not fair on my 11 year old either. She has basically been fending for herself for the last few weeks and trying to wake me up in the early evening has been really hard on her. I had this before in Autumn 2011, which lasted about 6 weeks.
I had at the beginning of January been put onto duloxetine as requested by the consultant. Luckily I am going to see him next week. I don't know if this has added to it.
I have been taking tramadol for years and have had no probs with it.
I too am feeling like I just want to sit and cry as seriously fed up now but that wouldn't help the pain.
jom2774
UKFM Member

Postby bulldog7274 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:21 pm

i feel exactly the same but the worst thing is that normaly its the wife that bits in or my mum that buts in and i feel like its realy hard to tell them to stop butting in. We moved just befor christmas and im still trying to recover from it and then theres the decorating that im trying to do and im still on my first room as i used to do it for a living and so a bit of a perfectionist so you can imagine how i get with it doing only a couple of hours a day :roll: :roll:
bulldog7274
UKFM Member

Postby fatanne1 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:47 pm

omgosh, I totally get it, I feel my fatigue sometimes totally out weighs the pain, at least with my I can push through but the fatigue, I can sometimes barely put 1 foot in front of the other, and I cry so much its almost like a waterfall. lol. :( ive ahd to make afew apolgies for snapping and being bad tempered lately,, and when you are severly tired,, pain is sooooo much worse, im with the others on tramadol made me so drowsy I bumped my car, I dnt get on with codeine either, I have naproxen 2 strentghs,and must admit not major side effects for me apart frm a bit of constipation, but I have ibs, so unusal toilet habits the norm lol.. and what you said about weight and docs, is true,, ive gained 3 stone since my dxs( lack of movement, meds , and the fact that wen im struggling re. tiredness I need cake0 LOL and everytime my weight is brought up and I want to scream its the damn illness fault, but they just make me feel lazy and greedy,, being overwight makes me miserable too, im not vain but as a hairdresser appearance is important to me,, this complex illness makes you feel c@xp...... end off,,, im going o ask for mirapexin, its normaly used for parkinsons apparently but unlike the antidepressants they load us with weightgain hardly ever again apparently. worth a try, ive had a go at everything herbal and everything... nightmare. xxxxxx :yikes:
fatanne1
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:33 pm

Sory mods seem to have posted twice , I'm sure you magic mod want will fix it :oops: :oops:
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby jennib54 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:50 pm

:sleep: :sleep: Hi' all my fatigue is pretty bad too. today i have sort of cat napped alday. my OH does'nt seem to understand this . I've had 3 good nihts in a row so i know that i should'nt be tired, but this fatigue seems to be in a league of its own.
I 2 take slow release Tramadol but only when i need it, i also take gabapeptin,morphine paracetamol amlodipine (for my blood pressure.and 3x 50mg of amitryptaline (sorry if its not spelt right.
my head has been quite foggy all this week.tried to make an appointment for my gp only to be told that he's on holiday till the 14th so got one for then.
GP seems to think that i've got ms aswell as fibro,spondylolisthesis (thats me spelt out now).
I hope we all get at least some sleep tonight and keep warm. :sleep: :sleep:

always look on the bright side of life xx
jennib54
UKFM Member

Postby Krum13 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:27 am

Hi my name is Ange, I also have FMS. Can I make a suggestion, why don't you try the suppliement COQ 10. I take 200mg of this every night
I have Been doing this every night for about 3 weeks now, and I have to say I am seeing a marked improvement in my
Energy levels. It is not cheap to buy, but since I have been taking it all the nasty fatigue seems to have gone away.
Before buying and taking this supplement I was totally wiped out. Every day for days on end. It's an awful feeling.
You can buy this from amozon.co.uk. Buy a good graded soft gel type. Some are better than others, so make sure you get the best ones. Also you might want to read up on the benefits of COQ 10 just ask Jeeves or google search. Type in to the search bar
Fibromyalgia and COQ 10. Also take some vitamin D 40mg. And a good multi vitamin. And some magnesium. All boots brand, and not really expensive. Drink plenty of water, cut out caffeen. Drink decfanated. Making these small changes helps with chronic fatigue.
Do not drink fizzy pops. Stick to water as much as you can drink every day. Make sure you take some fresh air once or twice a day. Just go out side and stand or sit for ten mins every day. Try to eat a healthy balanced diet, fresh veg and fruit and berry's.
And on top of that make sure you take the medication at the correct times every day. With out fail. With your breakfast
Lunch and tea. You got to try. If I can manage to do it you can too. I can not say it will stop the chronic pain, but I feel as though it has helped me. No major flares. Could try asking your GP about prescribing the CO q10. It is recommended for fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue.
People with heat attacks get it prescribed as do people with cancer. Please try, like I said it good stuff..
Regards Ange k
Krum13
UKFM Newbie

Postby contactcarole » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:56 pm

Hi, i have had a similar problem but made a decision to give up on the meds apart from Ibuprofen 400 as necessary and Vit B 12 injections, Vit D injection followed by tabs - it has helped up to a point and i do feel better but have to make sure that i 'manage' what is coming up. otherwise the boom and bust is crippling.
contactcarole
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:06 pm

Iceskatemum wrote:Sory mods seem to have posted twice , I'm sure you magic mod want will fix it :oops: :oops:

Sorry, haven't seen this until today ISM :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: The delights of not being too brill myself at the moment :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: Couldn't find a magic mod wand, but I did have an eraser in my pocket that rubbed it out for you :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

The fatigue has been giving me a real battering over the past few weeks as well, along with my pain levels climbing the Lego Scale :teddy-bear: :teddy-bear: :teddy-bear:

I've been increasing the levels of certain activities as part of a series of sessions I've been having for CFS (got that collectors card as well :facepalm: :facepalm: ) and I'm wondering if it's related to that as it feels like I've hit the limit of what I'm capable of :facepalm: :shock: :oops: Got my next one later this week so going to mention it and see what it said.

The fatigue has always been the worst symptom for me to deal with :scream-1: :too-upset: :pull-hair: :waiting: Were I able to relax/rest/sleep and feel some benefit from it, I know I'd find the other stuff that little bit easier to manage, but not feeling any better/feeling worse after I've managed some :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: means things are continually increasing and intensifying :waiting: :waiting: :waiting:

If I were allowed to have only one symptom/problem sorted out, it would be this :girl_moon: :girl_moon: :girl_moon: :girl_moon: :girl_moon:
Attachments
Lego Pain Scale.jpg
The Best Way To Measure Pain Levels!!
Lego Pain Scale.jpg (11.22 KiB) Viewed 2871 times
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia