Long Haul Flights

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Long Haul Flights

Postby rachie611 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:34 pm

So how does everyone cope on long flights?

I'm going to Japan in April and I'm starting to worry a bit about being cramped up in a chair for 11 hours! I know I can get up and walk around but I'm still fretting!

Does anyone have any tips to reduce the discomfort?
rachie611
UKFM Member

Re: Long Haul Flights

Postby difly » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:10 pm

Hi last year i did a long haul when we went to barbados , i was dreading it but seem to cope ok , impt to plan ahead before you fly so you not stress to much before you leave ,on plane i made sure i had flight socks on ,ad a problem with restless legs so went and stood at the back of plane off and on , made sure i was on top of my meds including pain relief and drank plenty of water, took my shoes off when sitting and took a good book and music to play on the ipod , main thing is to rest when you get there , have a safe journey and enjoy xx
difly
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:28 am

Went summer before DX on long haul and it turned out all right due to a very dilligent OH arranging things before we even go to the airport.

Am assuming you haven't won the lottery and aren't flying 1st class although I have heard that can make any trip go well :lol: :lol:

If you have any mobility issues even if you don't usually need it, arrange to have wheelchair assistance in all airports especially stop overs or transfer airports as you may not know the distances between gates etc. Helps you conserve your energy

keep hand luggage to a minimum but make sure that you have your medication with you plus a letter from you GP stating why you are prescribed your medication ( a copy of pro forma of your repreat script is also advisable)

As so many of us are on very strong painkillers check Foreign & Commonwealth Office web site to see if it ok for you to bring some of your prescribed drugs into the counties that you will be flying into (even as a stop over) eg codine is restricted in many countries including some USA states . If not make arrangements with GP for you to try other meds well before the beginning of your holiday.

If possible see if you can pre book a seat with extra leg room or one on an aisle or at a bulkhead . We managed to get seats with extra leg room that was just behind first class . It meant we were in a small section of about 24 seats which was quieter and more comfortable for trying to get some sleep etc ...only draw back was I spent most of the flight gazing enviously into first class and wondering how come those dear little children were there and not me ! There was 3 of us travelling and it did add about another £60 each on the return flight but was worth every penny.

Most of all think of the journey as part of the holiday rather than just getting to a destination , arrive at the airport in plenty of time .... cuts down on the stress factor , use any of the facilities in the Departure lounge ....if you can get a back massage in an airport & this might help you do so . On the outward flight put you watch to your destination time and get your self into thier time frame . on return journey set to UK as soon as you take off .

Have a great holiday & enjoy ....not that I'm jealous or anything :lol: :lol:
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby whoami » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:57 am

Rachel, the longest flight I have been on was 10 hours non stop with an hour and half no leaving seats due to heavy turbulence. I have flown quite a bit these things help. I take pain meds just after the flight has reached cruising height. I also take in my carry on something like yoga pants and fleece to change into on the plane. Then I change back just after breakfast is served. It is more comfy. I also wear a pair of comfy shoes that I can slip on and off easily. I like to curl up on seats. Air France has the most comfy in my mind. Ask for extra pillows and blanket. I am not a drinker but alcohol dehydrates you on a plane. Use all services provided if needed. People needing assistance are usually boarded first. Ask for assistance with your luggage. Also, I always carry a letter from my Dr describing all my medical issues as well as medications, it can save a lot of hassle. Don't be afraid to ask the stewardess if you need anything. They have on board a variety of (off the shelf) medication if needed. I hope this helps a bit. Enjoy the trip.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby rachie611 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:10 pm

Thank you so much for your advice!!

I have an appointment with my Rheumatology consultant the day that I fly so I might see if he can provide me with some sort of note to help me with getting extra leg room etc! I don't have paracetamol on prescription. Does this mean I can't take it on the plane with me as I won't have proof that it is mine?

Thanks again guys I am taking all on this on board! (No pun intended :-) )
rachie611
UKFM Member

Postby jennthefunkyranger » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:22 pm

I've never had a problem taking non-prescription meds on board a plane.

Also, if you have liquid meds, they don't count towards the liquid limit - I think some airports do still ask you to put them in a bag, but Manchester weren't bothered about my inhalers not being in (they're the canister type, so would have counted towards my liquids if they were not exempt). I was prepared to take the canisters out and just put those in to make it fit!!

I'm just glad I went to Dubai pre-fibro, since cocodamol is illegal there
jennthefunkyranger
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia