Pacing myself!!!!!

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Pacing myself!!!!!

Postby dotty lotty » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:12 am

Pacing myself well thats a :lol: :lol: Felt a bit better on Wednesday and thought that the increased dose of gabapentin was begining to work and therefore did too much and :facepalm: :facepalm: and have been sorer the last 2 days :pull-hair: But being new and reading others posts that seems to be something we are all guilty of :nono: . Live and learn. Going away for 4 days this morning but OH doing all the driving and as it will be mostly sitting in the car I wont be doing too much physically but will need plenty of stops so dont end up tooooooooooo stiff and walk like a :penguin: . Have an apartment so it will be PJ's when we come back at night and feet up to watch TV. :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Re: Pacing myself!!!!!

Postby Pinkprincess205 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:37 am

Hia
Im so guilty of overdoing it everyday too. You would of thought i would of learnt by now. But no i still doing it. Was sittin on a wooden floor yday playing with a 5 year old. I was in pain straight away but no i stayed on the floor and yes today my hip and leg are killing. Not good!!
Anyways hope you feel better and have a good time away
Vic x
Pinkprincess205
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:59 pm

Another guilty soul when it comes to the overdoing as well :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: You would have thought that a lesson or 2 would have been learned along the way..........NAH :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: I'm fantastic at the theory behind it, but when it comes to putting the theory into practice, I think DeeDee has a better chance of doing it than I have at times :facepalm: :facepalm: :oops: :oops:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby tonydin » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:17 pm

sorry still havent worked out how tp under do it :roll: :-x :lol: so i the same boat im afriad
tonydin
UKFM Member

Postby LouLou » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:23 pm

Hi Dotty

I too am an epic failure at pacing lol. I try and be sensible in what I do but sometimes there is just so much to do or so much going on that I feel guilty just sitting there not doing things. I'm still young thought and I what to get what I can out of life while I can.

Don't beat yourself up about it, we are all the same on here lol. Hope you have a lovely few days away with your OH.
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby LuluAnne » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:12 pm

I always think I am doing well pacing myself but I am only fooling myself. I start something feeling ok and then just keep pushing more and more until I feel ready to collapse. Still working on the pacing and maybe one day I will get it right.
LuluAnne
UKFM Member

Postby monica » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:57 am

Another one here who tries to pace themselves but doesn't always get it right!
monica
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:24 am

Was out yesterday for a quick errand but it turned out to be a wee bit longer than I had hoped , so even though I wasn't running around shops like a mad thing..... (just sitting in Saturday traffic) I quickly used up all the energy reserves . Came home & must of slept at least 2 -3 hours.

You would think that after a year (sinceDX) I would have a better handle on this pacing lark but don't think I am any further on in getting on top of it. No thats not right, at least now I know I am doing wrong but still need to work on trying to find out what my limit for things actually is.

I have a friend with ME who is very into gadgets & things . She manages her pacing by using a FitBit to build up charts of HR , BP etc . This then gives her the actual amount of minutes she can have per day for activities before she knows it will raise her Heart Rate and increase her risk of needing additional rest due to fatigue.

Its amazing to see all the graphs and the spikes for day to day activites ....even reading a book but much too fiddly /techey for me :-D

Not cheap to start up as you need to buy the FitBit device but might be an option to consider if it helps establish good practise ?
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby dotty lotty » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:00 pm

My thoughts as a newbie is that " I am having a good day so I can do more" but need to learn this is a :nono: :nono: :nono: says me who is doing the cleaning today. :facepalm: :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:32 pm

Ouch Dotty in advance for tomorrow....will probably be the same...... had to take DD into the shops and it has taken more out of me than I thought :facepalm:

Isn't it amazing that just that extra 10 minutes tips you over the edge. Could feel myself fading while in the last shop and felt gutted when I then realised I had to drive home!

If only I had a little alarm like the one in cars when the petrol level goes down, a quick beep when I my energy hit low and it would be a speedy trip home for a sleep.

Must go :sleep: :sleep: needed just a little power nap :-D
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby jennthefunkyranger » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:43 pm

I was feeling really tired and achey earlier, so didn't go for a walk as I often do on a weekend (that, and the not very nice weather outside). So what did I find myself doing instead? Only rearranging all of my craft stuff completely, which involved lumping several heavy crates round... It's all part of an ongoing spring clean and tidy to make things easier for me in the long run, but I have a horrible feeling I'm going to be regretting it big time tomorrow. Luckily I'm on the later start at work so don't have to be up early...
jennthefunkyranger
UKFM Member

Postby dotty lotty » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:54 am

Yes ISM and Jenn this is an ouch day sore sore sore :facepalm: :bricks: :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby LouLou » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:25 am

Dotty I am exactly the same

I try and convince myself that I can do things because I feel "ok" then the next day or sometimes even a few hours later it hits me!

ISM, I know what you mean by just being out in the car taking up all your energy. Mine and most of my OH's family live in Birmingham which is about a 40 min drive from us. I used to do this drive once a week but can't anymore. Even though it's just a straight drive on the M6 I found that the concentration really got to me.

Jenn - I used to do a huge spring clean of the whole house around this time of year but just thinking about it makes me hurt lol. My mum and Dad are helping me over Easter weekend while OH is working. I hate having to have help from people but I know I won't be able to do it on my own as it will practically kill me lol.

Dotty, hope you are resting today! lol

xx
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby dotty lotty » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:06 pm

LouLou know what you mean about driving and concentration. I just seem to go into this blank staring mode so only tend to drive a very short distance with music on. And if I drive too long my arms ache anyway but OH is good at taking me about. Am going to rest now as OH has just taken me for a gluten fre chocolate brownie in M&S. :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia