Preparing for an outing!

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Preparing for an outing!

Postby Flaw » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:00 am

Hi all!

My OH and I run an event (I say 'we', I generally answer some emails and red pen all his ideas!) and we have a big day on Friday as we have Empire Magazine coming down. Very excited! I have to be there from 1pm and the night will finish about 12 hours later! I don't think I'll manage that!
I obviously want to stay as long as possible so, this week I've been trying to 'prepare' by eating well and not doing too much.

I was just wondering if any of you have some hints and tips up your sleeves that you find useful when you know you have something on that's going to really push your limits.

Well wishes,
Carly.
Flaw
UKFM Member

Re: Preparing for an outing!

Postby paulamcl » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:22 am

hi Carly lucky you hope its a good night for you. im away this weekend for a girlie weekend and im the same dont think i will last the pace but my friends understand. i get reiki done. i find it really helps that and as you say eat well dont do much and try get as much sleep as possible. also ive downloaded relaxtion apps on my phone which i put on whenever i get the chance. even if its just to chill for 10mins. hope thia helps :-D x
paulamcl
UKFM Member

Postby LouLou » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:14 am

Hi Flaw

Wow how exciting.

If I know I have something big to prep for I try not to do a lot for the few days leading up to it and the night before get an early night, warm bath and rest. On the day itself give yourself lots of time to get ready so you don't start off by rushing around. During the day try and have a sit down for a few mins or just take a breather if you can.

Also, If i know I'm going to be doing something that's realy pushing myself I'll make sure that for the few days after I don't do anything but rest and recuperate.

Hope that helps. Good Luck
xx
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby kazak » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:21 pm

hi
i went away fri am back sat nite, we went to cadbury's world(yum yum) fri and sealife sat. i rested up all wk which wasn't easy as it was half term, tried to sleep well(really struggling with sleep at the mo) and ate well. on fri my oh drove so i cud rest then when we were at cadbury world i sat and rested often. then back at hotel everyone went swimming while i went room and rested, then out for tes and back at hotel for 9.30pm and off to bed i went. sat again my oh drove and at sealife i again rested where possible then oh drove home and back in bed for 10.15. i had dosed up on all my tablets and prn one's, but by 1am i was up again and cryin the pain was so bad i then had extra amitriptyline and anti inflam gel on and used massage cushion and eventually back to bed at around 5.30am. i did everything i cud b4 wkend and still i suffered no wonder my oh gets fedup with me, my son is growing up so fast and i'm missing out on so much(and again i'm crying) i don't no else i cud have done to make it better. any suggestions
kazak
UKFM Member

Postby Flaw » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:03 am

Oh dear :( poor you! It doesn't sound like you could have done anything differently to help. I'm sure our bodies play up more when we're looking forward to something. Maybe it's the stress of wanting to be well so badly that it makes us unwell! Don't put too much pressure on yourself. I'm sure your OH and your son understand. I know it's hard for our loved ones, if only they knew how much we blame ourselves.

In the end I pulled a 14 hour day but I am absolutely suffering for it now! Still, I'm pleased I managed to do it. Don't think I've been awake that many hours in a long time, let alone be out of the house!
Flaw
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:15 am

Flaw & kazak, hats off to both of you .......both events sound great fun but a real marathon .

We need to remember to be kind to ourselves after we have joined in any activity, never mind such a long event & family outing......if this sneaky illness was a credit card sadly it doesn't allow us to build up credit beforehand and charges mega interest afterwards in terms of down time.

One of the things I have learnt but have great difficulty in applying is to acknowledge that no matter what we do , if we go above a certain activity level we will have to pay in some way afterwards.

Take this time Kaz to chat to OH /son & explain that although you did all you could to ease the situation when you were away, you still need to chill out for a while on your return. Remind them of what would have happened if you hadn't paced things :lol:

Hope both of you can rest up and take it easy over the next few days :grouphug:

I personally think you deserve it
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby shazq » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:32 pm

HI
Have you thought of getting a lightweight wheelchair for your days out? it would be so much easier for you and you would be able to enjoy the day without any stress.

A lot of places do have wheelchairs & mobility scooters to hire now, they are a god send if you are going to be on your feet for a long time.

I keep a small wheelchair in my top box in the car so its always there if needed.

Glad you both had a good day out, sorry you are paying for it though. :( :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia