cold or flu?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

cold or flu?

Postby xyz1000 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:01 pm

hello everyone hope you are all managing your pain as best as poss.

I have not been feeling good this week. It started with a sore throat last Fri that I thought I managed to fight off. I began to ache or pain kicked in everywhere. Felt not too bad again a couple of days later. Then Tues a full on cold started mostly sneezing and headache and agin lots of aching and pain everywhere very tired. I am not sure how i can work out if it's flu or a cold, it is confusing with the fibro pain. Any ideas on how I can tell?
thanks x
xyz1000
UKFM Member

Re: cold or flu?

Postby SuperCat007 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:19 pm

At the risk of sounding really dense, does it really matter which it is? As long as you don't get so ill with the flu that it develops into pneumonia then both just require lots of rest, fluids and healthy eating. Anti-biotics won't help a cold or flu and if you already have symptoms then having a flu jab won't help you now.

I plan to get a flu jab for next winter after having countless flu-ey type things this winter, that might be something worth organising with your GP for next winter.
SuperCat007
UKFM Member

Postby xyz1000 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:25 pm

yes you are probably right. Just with the flu I would probably rest abit more but with a cold it is seen
that you can carry on with your usual routine. I am also worried sick that I will start a flare that takes ages to go away. I think probably that is my worry as feel that i pushed myself before when I shouldn't of and ended up not being able to walk for a few months. I did have a flu jab back in Oct so maybe not the flu. thanks for your reply
Last edited by xyz1000 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xyz1000
UKFM Member

Postby SuperCat007 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:28 pm

Ignore the 'normal'. Whatever it is, cold, flu, other random virus just do what your body needs and you'll be over it quicker than if you push yourself through. A flu jab won't stop you getting flu or a cold, it is more of a preventative measure. Hopefully within another couple of days rest you'll be feeling better again ready for the weekend! :)
SuperCat007
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:33 pm

You would know if it was the flu, it really does lay you out even without the fibro, I have had it once pre fibro and couldnt get out of bed, took me all my time to manage a drink couldnt eat just slept on and off for the whole week, then the 2nd week was just resting whereas a cold even with fibro, (I have one now, same sort of symptoms as you are describing) I am really bad for a couple of days then start to pick up slowly but as has been said it doesnt matter what you have you just need to rest and take extra care of yourself till you start to feel better :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby xyz1000 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:14 pm

thanks Denys, I am starting to feel abit better now. hope you are too.
xyz1000
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia