Is fibro a disability?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Is fibro a disability?

Postby xyz1000 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:19 pm

Hi ya I have been reading the bus website and it says that if you have a disabilty then you can get a free pass.
I was wondering if you know if fibromyalia is named as a disability?
I tried for DVLA once and didn't get it. I wondered if it is based on how able you are with the condition?
xyz1000
UKFM Member

Re: Is fibro a disability?

Postby *Lisa* » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:54 pm

It goes on how the illness effects you and to get a bus pas it goes on how your mobility is.

If your on high rate mobility you can get a bus pass by filling in the forms.

I am not and so for my county i could get a bus pass by a doctors letter confirming my mobility is severely restricted by the fibro and other back related problems so i was awarded a bus pass but i know in some areas this you cannot do. Best of talking to your local council.

Fibro is a disability if it effects your mobility and care needs
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby mabel » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:09 pm

Yes Fibro is considered to be a disability which is why us drivers are entitlled to a blue badge and often suffers are awarded DLA. Sorry not sure about bus pass but would imagine it would involve some form of assessment to see how much your mobility is affected.

Plase keep us updated. it would be interesting to know and i expct it varies depending on which areas we all live in too!
mabel
UKFM Member

Postby katz65 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:07 pm

Hello

I would love to know how you get on with this subject, as I too have been wandering if it would be worth my while trying to get a bus pass. I live in a village & don't have a car, I try & walk to the next village & it causes me a lot of pain as I go a long. Then for the next couple of days I suffer for it. If I want to get into a town, it becomes costly, but I could never manage that kind of walk like I use to.

I will look into it as well & respond back to you & I will look to see how you get on..

Good :goodluck2:
From me
katz65
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:05 pm

katz65 wrote:Hello

I would love to know how you get on with this subject, as I too have been wandering if it would be worth my while trying to get a bus pass. I live in a village & don't have a car, I try & walk to the next village & it causes me a lot of pain as I go a long. Then for the next couple of days I suffer for it. If I want to get into a town, it becomes costly, but I could never manage that kind of walk like I use to.

I will look into it as well & respond back to you & I will look to see how you get on..

Good :goodluck2:
From me

Katz

Call your local council to ask if you would qualify for a free bus pass if you had mobility problems but dont have Dla also ask if you had a gp`s letter backing you up would you then qualify for one?

Some councils will give you a pass with a doctors letter. :goodluck1:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia