They are trying to label FM/CFS as psychological !!!!!

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

They are trying to label FM/CFS as psychological !!!!!

Postby TATT » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:31 pm

Fellow sufferers,

I have spent much of yesterday searching the web for recent 2012 statements/studies referring that what we suffer from is a mental disorder. Somatoform disorder and other names all of which relate to the origins of mental illness.

If any of you have any time can you take a look too as I have read so much that I know don't know what I have read. I am confused through reading so much. I do know that more research money will be given to psychiatry where it does not belong. Also if it's labeled as an non physical illness this will please the government in that disability benefits will not apply ?

That was just a thought?

I need help with seeing what's going on, in recent weeks there are documents from all over Europe stating this is a Functional somatic syndrome.

Tatt
TATT
UKFM Member

Re: They are trying to label FM/CFS as psychological !!!!!

Postby alikat10 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:56 pm

I know a friend of mine with fibro went to a top fibro doctor recently in Manchester and he told her it was a sleep disorder... Which is the somatic aspect. Scary...
alikat10
UKFM Newbie

Postby TATT » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:36 pm

Reading further into it because cfs/fibromyalgia mimics many other illnesses such as:

MS, Lupus, Etc etc the average tests a fibro patient goes through to get a diagnosis costs a lot of money. So again if they can cart us off to a psychiatrist who confirms we have fibro, we get given anti depressants alongside CBT which helps us to learn to pace, and Gradual Exercise Therapy.

I am trying to collate as much evidence that FM does exist and has a pathology, please if you know of any articles PM me and I will give you my email address so I can print them out. I have been asked to do this by someone who is getting a team together to bring attention to our invisible illness.

Any help I would greatly appreciate. Thanks for replying Alikat x
TATT
UKFM Member

Postby blueeyes64 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:13 pm

Wow ! If this is true it will make things so much worse for fibro sufferers :(
Is it worth me even getting a diagnosis then if it isn't going to be taken seriously anymore (if indeed it ever was by some health professionals ) ?
I have had depression really bad a few yeas ago, but the fibro is still here whether I am happy or sad :?:
blueeyes64
UKFM Member

Postby TATT » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:18 am

The more I look the more I see proof of fibro being a pathological illness. But we need to start standing up for ourselves so I am doing my bit when my brain is in order.

There are so many people with his now including some celebs in the spot light so I doubt very much that there is anything to worry about blue eyes.

I am going to a fibro day on 30th March in London with some doctor there giving a speech and lots of therapists. I don't have the address yet but will put out the details when I get them.

I am getting this info together so that this cannot happen. We have to start somewhere. Meanwhile you look after yourself, I am not here to scare you just was asking for help, but I think everyone is having a fibro fog day : (

Take care

Tatt x
TATT
UKFM Member

Postby TATT » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:19 am

30th April not march
TATT
UKFM Member

Postby Citron Shake » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:52 am

I don't know what happened to my previous reply si I'll just repeat the main point whis was this. Please remember that psychological conditions are just as real as physical ones. It may be wrong to say fibro is a psychological condition but saying it may be is not the same as saying it doesn't exist.
Citron Shake
UKFM Newbie

Postby Iceskatemum » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:47 am

Tatt who are They?
In searching the web I found that most of the main bodies of research coming out of the USA at least seem to suggest that there are potential many reason behind the development of FM
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby TATT » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:27 am

Hi Citeron Shake,

I agree and I am not saying that fibro doesn't come with its own mental issues such as anxiety and depression. Whether it starts in the brain or not, I think the point is that it would affect perhaps how we are treated and the benefits people were entitled too.

All I know is that I have been asked to collate the articles that are showing research is leading to FMS and CFS as real physical syndromes.

ISM, I have come across a petition to sign to have Prf Simon Wesley's knighthood to be taken away, I think he has changed his tune lately but, his years back was quoted saying CFS was a belief not an illness.

For me my illness started with symptoms of pain and fatigue, which lead me to the doctor for many years with nothing showing up on my results, during this time I developed anxiety and depression and by some doctors this can be seen as hypochondria. But it's inevitable that when I was struggling with strange painful and terrible fatigue that my mind would be effected but not the other way around.

I am also aware that there are many people on here that have a mental illness alongside fibro and many other illnesses as well. I just wanted help looking. But I had a good day yesterday and found loads. Thanks anyway.
TATT
UKFM Member

Postby TATT » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:01 am

Disability benefits change if our illness comes under Somatoform, check out the link below.

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Somatiz ... orders.htm
TATT
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:22 am

Ahh ......The gremlins ate my post again ...thats what I get for feeding them after midnight!

Anyway Tatt will try and forward a few linkies in PM to US research papers where they are looking at dx tests for FM . Things like presence and level of substance P in the blood or presense of plaque like substance on the brain that can show up in MRI or PET scans. These appear to be similar to MS lesions I think but with enough dissimilarity to make them unique in thier own right.

IF there are DX test for FM developed that in its own right excludes folk from the catagory of Somatoform as the various illness that fall under that catagory such as Conversion Disorder do not have dx test but are dx by process of elimination , I guess in much the same way FM is DX at the moment although even at that FM does have the 18 point Tender Spot Test.

Gentle hugs :hugs: and take care , appreciate collating information for anything is a thankless task . :pcsmash:
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby kitten » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:53 am

Hi TATT
I have just read the link that you give and boy am I mad , what a load of rubbish , so that means all the medical profession who diagnose FM /CFS don't know what they are diagnosing despite spending years getting there qualification especially rheumatologist, we all know how long it takes to get a proper diagnosis's of the condition , wonder if they would come to the same conclusion if they suffered with it

I have had muscle spams (CMP) in my neck since September and still have (not as bad but they are still there)at the moment I have got a flare up ,I am not a soft I don't have depression I don't have any stress or anxiety ,( yes I do get fed up at times who wouldn't when you have pain 24/7) what I do have is aches & pain like we all do . some days worse than others
I would love to meet up with this person face to face no doubt like a lot of other people who has FM/CFS / CMP

Is this an other back door way of cutting Disability benefits by the Government
kitten
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:16 pm

i did alot of research on somatoform disorder a while back when a fellow fibro friend of mine called me for help. They had been diagnosed with fibro/cfs for over 20years and had got into a real bad depression.

The GP sent them to a pyschologist for an assessment. The letter sent to the GP diagnosed somatoform disorder and munchausens!! :yikes:

They needed help to over turn this diagnoses as origanly only went for help with depression :-?

The research began for the fight. It paid off as i found out alot and could build a case up.

In the end i managed to get them to see another pyschologist/second opinion on the facts that at the assessment there pysical state hadnt been medicaly checked and they had not seen any doctors / consultant letters on the fibro.

Thankfully it was all overturned with the pyschologist also expressing that munchausens and somatoform were not present at all and what was present was a mental illness of boredaline personality disorder.

Can you imagine what would of happened if i didnt help my friend? :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

You got to be so carful these days!!

There are many simularities with fibro and Somatoform. SD is a real and very dibilitating illness but one that people say is *its all in your head* is where the saying come from.

It produces real pain and symptoms.

Its very hard to disinguish the difference between the both so making a diagnoses of one or the other must be taken with extreme caution.

Alot of people experience somatoform symptoms like when were worried our stomach feels tight and in knots, if your stress your neck tightens or feel nausea/ weak when worried/scared about something....

I know that there thinking of putting M.E in the pyschological path but i havent heard much on th fibro side.

I think with it being pyschological IMO they feel you can recover with tablets and therapy and learn to control symptoms meaning benefits will only be given temporey as in there eyes you *may* recover but thats my personal outlook on it.

Anxiety is another that mimicks fibro/SD i was always told my symptoms were anxiety until a physio suspected fibro and so my journey began.

We live ina stressfull life nowadays with lots of pressure and no wonder why we are all reacting in one way or another.

Even so pyschcological illness are real and very dibilitating and for the government to look down on this is so wrong.

Fibro back in the day was classed as fibrosis and if you research back in time i think you'll find that it was origanly classed as an SD

But now we have a huge team of consultant rhumatologist who are trained in looking for the characteristics of both which is why they always ask about your previous life/history/stresses etc

Depression is a huge part in the fibro land, well concidering we have a 24/7 battle on our hands and our bodies are always in pain and exhausted...

I would advice people when seeing a pyschologist to be careful from what i have been thro with my friend.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Picklepudding » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:14 pm

alikat10 wrote:I know a friend of mine with fibro went to a top fibro doctor recently in Manchester and he told her it was a sleep disorder... Which is the somatic aspect. Scary...

The rheumatologist I saw yesterday also referred to it as a sleep disorder...saying that it is caused by not entering phase 4 deep sleep and therefore the body not being given chance to regenerate...I'm not at all sure what to think about it all really! Everywhere I've looked online I have seen different descriptions!
Crohn's, IBS, plantar fasciitis, psoriasis, Vitamin D deficiency, minimal osteoarthritis, possible Hughes Antiphospholipid Syndrome and fibromyalgia...I'm a walking medical encyclopaedia!
Picklepudding
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia