General widespread pain

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

General widespread pain

Postby autumnellis » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:10 pm

Hi all,
My rheumatologist has diagnosed me with FM. I'm not convinced (maybe I'm in denial,but anyway) I was wondering if you could tell me what "general widespread pain"means for this condition? I'm spotting it everywhere in the description of symptoms however I have pain in specific places and nowhere else and was wondering if it means the whole body is aching or that a number of specific places are aching?? Thanks alot.
autumnellis
UKFM Member

Re: General widespread pain

Postby masonsbarms » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:09 pm

hi, my understanding of this is that you have pain up and below the waist and on both sides of your body,

fm pain varies from day to day hour to hour and is diffrent for all of us you can have pain i one part of your body at a time and thae your whole body can have pain from a flu like ache to a very intence pain that makes you cry,

we all go through denial as non of us want to beleive that this is for ever but the sooner you can except that it tues the sooner yuo can try diffrent things to make life better,

dont get me wrong we all still get down with things but if you read thing on hear you will see that you can do things that help you cope better,

this is a wonderful place to come for advice and support so use it as often as you need we all understand what you are going through.

take care xx
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Postby Flaw » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:53 pm

I second that- this forum helps so much! Just knowing there's people who understand. Sometimes being around everyone 'normal' makes me think I'm mad with all my symptoms- I'm sure everyone else thinks it's 'all in my head'

General wide-spread pain for me is when my whole body just aches. But it's different to exercise pain, it's more like when you have the flu and you just hurt. It's worse in my shoulders, neck and knees. It's when I generally just hurt and when people say 'well, where do you ache' my answer is everywhere!
It really differs on person to person, some sufferers would think my pain is easy as I'm not bed bound or in a wheel chair. Other can still work full time which I'd definitely not manage. Some days I'm not too bad and enjoy a nice long walk with the dog, other I cry going over speed bumps and wince when I move. The joys of FM!

How the denial phase doesn't last too long for you so you can get on with managing it and living your life as pain free as possible :)
Flaw
UKFM Member

Postby autumnellis » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:14 pm

Hi,

Thanks to both of you. I think when I'm reading all this info' I keep thinking it doesn't sound right. I don't have this all over pain at all. I have constant pain in lower back, hips, left knee and right hand and wrist. Each came on at a different point in the past 10 years but none has gone away at all ever. This thing of fluctuating symptoms and all over pain doesn't happen to me and I don't really have pain in the top half of my body (sometimes a bad shoulder but that's because I use a crutch) so I'm just thinking it doesn't sound right and I've been diagnosed because they don't know what else to say if you see what I mean. I also don't suffer from depression, I obviously get a bit down sometimes because of pain but totally different from depression. I just wanted to hear other people's experiences to put mine into context. Thank you. x
autumnellis
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:14 pm

Hi
My pain is with me 24/7 but is widespread throughout my body, it varies hour to hour where my pain can be, sometimes certain areas just ache where as other areas are more painful. I do have daily headaches & back pain but everyday is a pain day.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby autumnellis » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:12 pm

Thanks Shazq, The more I hear the more I think I need a second opinion. x
autumnellis
UKFM Member

Postby Flaw » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:29 am

Can't harm to get a second opinion although you do sound like you have a lot of pain in different parts of your body. Not everyone with FM suffers from real depression, I think everyone who has body pain most of the time gets down about it!

Let us know how you get on :)
Flaw
UKFM Member

Postby autumnellis » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:10 am

Thanks Flaw, yes I will do. x
autumnellis
UKFM Member

Postby autumnellis » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:02 pm

Hi just an update. I have spoken to my GP who agreed with me that I don't appear to have FM and my Rheumitology physio who also agreed. I'm very relieved and now embarking on some specific physio and stopping the meds which were making me feel terrible. Thanks for the advice and it just shows that you needn't just accept the first diagnosis if it doesn't quite fit. X
autumnellis
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia