Holding a pen, writing or holding a book to read.

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Holding a pen, writing or holding a book to read.

Postby hooplykim » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:54 pm

yes holding a pen or book can be really painful and annoying when your hands go numb and it just drops, i was a tattooist which i loved sooooo much but couldnt hold the tattoo gun anymore let alone keep my arm steady enough to do any tattooing i was so upset. reading is another big passion of mine but holding a book is soo difficult so i saved and saved and got myself and ipad and downloaded the kindle app and as my ipad has a stand i dont need to hold onto anything i just flip the page, of course i still have to give up trying to read when i have no concentration! but when my fibro brain is able i love reading on my ipad, i do not know how i ever managed without one as it is a computer, games console, and library all rolled into one!
Fibromyalgia is not who we are, Just something we have.
hooplykim
UKFM Member

Postby LouLou » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:25 am

Hooplykim

I'm the same with my concentration lol sometimes I can read for hours and hours then other times I find myself reading the same page over and over because it doesn't sink it lol.
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby hooplykim » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:57 am

Loulou

Lol yes exactly, I've been trying to read the same page of a new book for a few weeks now lol, it's really strange how your brain just refuses to take anything in lol, but as everyone else probably does , when I'm able I just read as much as I cn, that's why I love my iPad, cos if I can't read, then I will just play a game instead lol
Xx
Fibromyalgia is not who we are, Just something we have.
hooplykim
UKFM Member

Postby Caffycoffdrop » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:39 pm

I have given up attempting to write anything lately as my handwriting is virtually illegible. I used to do shorthand and I think my brain attempts to divert to this rather than conventional script. I just end up with the first two letters of the word and a scribble for the rest! I can't read it after five minutes so ashamedley type all my letters now. I don't really care if the recipient prefers to get a handwritten note, at least they get something legible from me!

With regards to reading I admit to having three books on the go - one on my kindle and two paperbacks! I find this helps to rest my hands and also keeps my brain challenged with keeping the stories separate!

Reading provides a form of escapism for me where I can try to forget my aches and pains.

I hope everyone else can find some way to 'escape'.
Go through the path of life never being tearful;
Keep a smile upon your face, you will find that life is cheerful.

Or failing that everyone wonders what you have been up to!!
Caffycoffdrop
UKFM Newbie

Postby jennib54 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:39 pm

:-D :-D Hi' i have the same probs with my hands. If i use pc i struggle with the mouse after a few minutes and have to give it up as a bad job lol. I have a net book which i find easier not discovered how to upload things onto it. :-D :-D
I used to do xstitching but have'nt done any for a while. then did card making but haven't been able to do that as well i could. don't know which is worse not being able to concentrate,hands hurting and then eyes going blurred. :-D :-D
Doc's just told me that i've got RS. so been given meds for this. think i'll be rattling before long with all meds i have to take.lol :-D :-D
Its taken me about 15 mins just to type this as my fingers ache and tingle. Oh Well. :-D :-D
jennib54
UKFM Member

Postby LouLou » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:36 am

Caffycoffdrop wrote:With regards to reading I admit to having three books on the go - one on my kindle and two paperbacks! I find this helps to rest my hands and also keeps my brain challenged with keeping the stories separate!

Reading provides a form of escapism for me where I can try to forget my aches and pains.

That's the main reason I love to read. I feel like I am escaping into the world the book is about and I can almost forget the pain I am in. I also find this when I get into a film or tv programme/series. I try to keep my brain involved in something else so that I can't think about the pain.

jennib54 I used to Xstitch too I loved it. I could sit for hours and just do xstitch. I have no chance of doing that now though. Hang in there you're not alone. I don't have a net book so I don't know how to download things, I just have my kindle where you just click on "shop" find your book and download and it's there.
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby millymoodoo » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:55 pm

Hi all

Just reading this thread has forced me into getting my kindle out and getting it charged up again!!! I had put it to one side as i was having a lot of problems with my eyes and couldnt read properly as my eyesight had deteriorated but i have now had my eyes tested and got new glasses so i am away again!! Thank you for giving me the push as i do love reading.

Milly :-D xxx
Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them get up!!! When life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!! Everyday is a gift which is why we call it the present
millymoodoo
UKFM Member

Postby binty » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:43 am

new to this..... i get these problems too. my arms go weak, heavy, numb and tingly when i lie in bed reading. I find writing or typing for long periods very painful. even holding a phone to my ear gives me the same symptoms as holding a book. i thought it was just me.....
binty
UKFM Member

Postby painprincess1 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:08 pm

oh yes i used to love playing the x box but holding the controllers my hand tighten up and i cant move them.hurts so much , so i do no where your coming from.
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Previous

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia