chicken pox

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

chicken pox

Postby gypsydoll » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:42 pm

Hi a member of my family may have chicken pox and it is my sisters birthday today I was supposed to be going over for tea but I am worried i'll pick something up, i have had chicken pox but you can get it more than once. Plus I had a skin problem years ago and had to go through laser resurfacing I don't want any more scabs and scars :(! I don't want to take the risk especially as I have been doing a lot better lately...........................
gypsydoll
UKFM Newbie

Re: chicken pox

Postby bluesheep » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:11 pm

Are you sure you can get it more than once? I had it as a child and went on to be a Nursery Nurse so have come in to contact with 100's of children with it and never caught it from them. Most doctors say once the spots scab over they are no longer contageos, and that it is contageos for up to a week before the first spots appear.
bluesheep
UKFM Member

Postby cate2979 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:47 pm

Hiya, u can get chicken pox a 2nd time but only if u had a very mild dose the 1st time. I am not sure how shingles rears its ugly head but it lies dormant after u hav had chicken pox so check that out 1st before going to ur sisters.
cate2979
UKFM Newbie

Postby masonsbarms » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:06 pm

hi, if you are worried just explain things to your sister about your worries ,

i did think you could only get it once but not sure i know when i was little we were all shoved together as soon as one of us got something,

take care xx
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Postby dotty lotty » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:48 am

Re shingles. You need to have had chicken pox at some point in your life . The virus then lies dormant on a nerve route and can be reactivated at a time of stress or illness.
You cannot catch shingles from chicken pox. :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:30 pm

One of my sons did have chicken pox twice but I think it was only a very mild attack the first time as he had very few "spots" etc. so agree that you can have it more than once .

As for your problem ........ I would give you sister a ring well ahead of the day and ask if she knew anything about X's chicken pox, then let her know that you are worreid about how you would react should you get it and for that reason you wont be able to make the birthday tea with the rest of the family . However you would love to meet up for a chat & your own exclusive birthday tea with her later in the week .

That way she knows that you want to spend time with her and acknowledge her birthday but unfortunalty due to other circumstances it can 't be with the others. She will probably be disapointed about you not making the birthday tea but keep firm and reaffirm to her ( and everyone else )the reason why , most should understand but given the way families are I 'm sure you won't please everyone. :lol:
Then again you are not here to please everyone just do the best you can with in the limits of your own illness. As I have learnt to my cost if I try and do too much just to please others ,even when I am original undure I should .... I am the one that pays the price the next day .

Hope you and your sister get to celebrate her brthday very soon.
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby denys » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:10 pm

I have had chicken pox 3 times and the 1st time it was severe and I have the pox marks to prove it. The doc says it depends on your immune system and as most of us have an impaired system then anything is possible I suppose. The last time I caught it was in 2007, I had it in the 70's and in the 60's when I was a baby :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia