A Chronic Illness Blog

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

A Chronic Illness Blog

Postby RetiredBridgeburner » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:27 pm

Hello all,

I dip in and out of the forum on here from time to time (still being left to fend for myself with treatment, and the information here is really invaluable.)

I've been writing a chronic illness blog for about a month now with the aim to give others some hope and a little light entertainment - and hopefully a bit of useful info too

So, I live here:

http://theretiredbridgeburner.blogspot.co.uk/

I'd really appreciate it if you could find five minutes to give it a look over - and let me know if there's anything you feel should be included. I'm hoping to branch into more informative posts in the future - and I've included a link to this forum for information purposes too :-)

Wishing everyone lots of spoons :) x
RetiredBridgeburner
UKFM Member

Re: A Chronic Illness Blog

Postby tazzajay 1 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:23 am

Brilliant :D
"Judge not unless you judge yourself"
tazzajay 1
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:12 pm

Will do :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby minihaha » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:05 pm

Thank you. Still find it hard to believe that people have exactly the same as me. The I ability to remember a simple word especially frustrates me too. Particularly if I am advising someone on the phone which is part of my job! Keep up the blog, you are helping others.
Minihaha x
minihaha
UKFM Newbie

Postby Pepperty » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:06 pm

you are very eloquent :-) and insightful, your blog is fascinating - thankou for sharing a link :clap:
Pepperty
UKFM Member

Postby RetiredBridgeburner » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:34 pm

Aww thank you very much! :-D x
RetiredBridgeburner
UKFM Member

Postby hooplykim » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:48 pm

Brilliant, well done that will help a lot of people with FMS and possibly a few without. I totally understand the simple words thing, I was always great at subjects like English and would devour several books a week, these days simple words and simple maths etc get harder and harder! But, like yourself , I laugh cos its much better than crying! The brain fog is the weirdest thing cos it really is like a fog that just settles and everything becomes muffled and fuzzy, I cope better when at home, but when I'm out and about its frustrating cos I am still there at the back of my fog, it's like my brain has always worked at a hundred miles an hour and suddenly it's like my brain has done an emergency stop and you are still in there trying to get out lol. Has anyone else found that words don't look the same sometimes? Like a normal word that you would usually spell easily, but suddenly it doesn't look right? It's strange what the brain does!
Fibromyalgia is not who we are, Just something we have.
hooplykim
UKFM Member

Postby RetiredBridgeburner » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:49 pm

The not looking right thing happens to me - but it's only words I've written, it never seems to happen when I'm reading typed text like in a book if that makes sense? Weirdest thing! x
RetiredBridgeburner
UKFM Member

Postby vmvseoa » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:06 pm

As an avid reader, I find having to read the same paragraph over and over worse than not being able to remember what I was saying. If I forget the next word, I tend to wave my hand about and mumble something like "...you know, thingy?", seems to work.
vmvseoa
UKFM Member

Postby RetiredBridgeburner » Wed May 29, 2013 4:25 pm

Hi all, thought I'd pop in with an update.

I've added a couple of new tabs to the blog and update roughly once a week now. It clocked over 5000 views a couple of weeks back to my absolute astonishment!

I'd love to hear from anyone with feedback, suggestions for inclusion or indeed anything else and I hope you can spare five minutes to have a look if you haven't already done so.

Hope everyone is as well as possible, wishing you all many spoons :-) xx
RetiredBridgeburner
UKFM Member

Postby RetiredBridgeburner » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:09 pm

vmvseoa wrote:As an avid reader, I find having to read the same paragraph over and over worse than not being able to remember what I was saying. If I forget the next word, I tend to wave my hand about and mumble something like "...you know, thingy?", seems to work.

So true! And that's precisely my method too haha!

Just for an update - I'm currently participating in the 30 Day Chronic Illness Challenge over on TRB, which is a post a day for 30 days answering set questions. I just thought I'd let everyone know as they'll be shorter than the usual fare and so might appeal a bit more for people who don't want to sit and read long essay-like posts :-)

Wishing everyone many spoons! xx
RetiredBridgeburner
UKFM Member

Postby Purpledot » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:08 pm

Sorry to be so ignorant, but what's TRB???? :oops:

With regards to the forgetting words etc, it happens to me all the time and it is soooo frustrating! :-x I, too, was always really articulate, eloquent and good at English, and an avid reader. All this has gone and I hate it........but try and laugh about it as much as possible.

I also find that I often say the complete opposite to what I want to say (eg: hot instead of cold) and don't even know I've said it until someone points it out! :oops: I also tend to say incorrect vowel sounds quite a lot, which is really embarrassing. :oops: I also tend to read words wrong sometimes, so, for example, would read the word "hotel" as "hospital", and then realise the sentence doesn't make sense and have to re-read it to see where I've gone wrong. :cry:

Does anyone else have these added problems? I would love some reassurance that this is normal for Fibro/ME as I have just been told that a recent brain MRI has shown up lots of white spots all over my brain and I am paranoid I am heading for early dementia. :yikes:
Purpledot
UKFM Member

Postby RetiredBridgeburner » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:16 am

You're not being ignorant, don't worry - short for The Retired Bridgeburner, the name of the blog! :-)

I agree whole-heartedly, I try my best to laugh at it too. I've sort of accepted it will happen no matter how much I hate it, so it's better for me and my psyche to approach it with some humour.

If it's of any reassurance - I read the wrong words a lot too! I proof read as part of my job so that's particularly frustrating!

Wishing everyone well :-D xx
RetiredBridgeburner
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia