Build up to flare-ups

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Build up to flare-ups

Postby charley » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:30 am

Hey everyone. Hope you're all okay and enjoyed the VERY brief bout of nice weather we had last week!
I was just wondering, does anyone else feel like they have a kind of build up just before having a flareup?
This week, I've kind had this funny feeling in my joints, it's been slightly above the normal level of pain, but kind of tingly at the same time and it feels like it's been kinda building up all week so it's just like oh okay I have a flare up coming on. Does anyone else get this or am I just being weird?
Hope this doesn't last too long, going home in a couple of weeks and can't navigate my way across London (have to go through to get home from Cambridge) if I'm on crutches as well as having a suitcase which I'm pretty sure I could fit in if I curled up a bit! (I'm 5'10" just to put that in perspective) :P
charley
UKFM Member

Re: Build up to flare-ups

Postby Heleska » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:57 am

Hi, no you're not imagining it....I always know when mine are starting, I wake up with severe joint pain in my hands, so bad I can't even hold my little girls hand. I imagine its what arthritis must feel like....it then progresses over a few days.
Heleska
UKFM Newbie

Postby LouLou » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:21 pm

Hi Charley

How nice was the weather last week?? We had one nice day where the sky was blue, the sun was out and it was actually kind of warm! I thought spring was here but nope it's snowing here today lol.

With my flare ups I know when one is coming as my pain levels and fatigue levels start to increase over a short period of time. I am in pain constantly but the pain level varies. Most of the time it is manageable but I can feel when it starts rising. Also, If I have pushed myself doing something ot I'm really stressed/worried I know a flare will soon appear and I am always right.

You start to read your body with FM, it's just sometimes hard to actually listen to it lol. I try and ease off what I do when I can feel pain levels rising and this has kind of helped a few times and my flare hasn't been as bad as it could have been.

I hope you can rest up before you have to travel home (by the way make sure you put airway hols in your case if your culing up in there lol)

Gentle hugs
xx
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby drew0121 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:48 pm

hi charley, i,m gotting through it as i type this message. my hands are so painfull. my bad is giving me so much grief aswell. it,s just awfull. try and keep warm xxx :roll:
drew0121
UKFM Newbie

Postby charley » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:35 am

Well at least I know I'm not being weird! In a way I guess it's kinda good that we get warning signs, means we know when to get some rest and take some preemptive painkilling measures! Doesn't stop it being a pain in the butt though!

Heleska I'm sorry it can hurt too much to hold your little girls hand, I can't imagine how much that can make things worse for you. I hope it doesn't happen too often!

LouLou, I know! We had 2 warm days last week! Made me so happy that we were finally getting nice weather. And yup, can't believe we've had snow!!! Makes me want to cry lol. With me it's just kind of gradually increasing pain levels until it gets to the point of being unbearable :/ Hopefully that wont happen this time around, I have too much to do! Won't be able to do much resting up before I go home though, I have an assignment and a presentation to prepare for AND work on top of that (thinking I might quit, they are so unorganised, it's just stressing me out too much) And don't worry, I won't be curling up in my case anytime soon, it doesn't look too comfy in there to be entirely honest! :P

Hope your flare doesn't last too long drew! And thanks for the advice :) luckily my room at uni is really warm, even without the radiator on :)
charley
UKFM Member

Postby painprincess1 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:19 pm

sadly i seem to have no rest from flares most i got is a day of feeling good , i seem to live in a flare if u no what i mean.
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby charley » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:34 am

Oh that doesn't sound good :/ Have you managed to find ways of managing/coping with it?
charley
UKFM Member

Postby LouLou » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:28 pm

Oh painprincess you poor things. My pain is there 24/7 and mostly it is bearable with meds so I don't get an actual break either. Then I have days where the pain goes up a notch (or 10 lol) and that can last a day, a few days or even a few weeks and then it settles back down again.

As like Charley said I hope you have found ways of managing things.

Sending you my thoughts
xx
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia