multiple sclerosis?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

multiple sclerosis?

Postby animeemo3 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:15 am

i've recently been having swallowing problems, and my gp has sent me for a endoscopy (later this month) and it got me thinking (and googling) and the most common thing that came up when i put in all my symptoms plus swallowing difficulty, as ms. i can relate to it a lot, most of the ms symptoms are exactly like fm. is it possible to have both fm and ms?
animeemo3
UKFM Member

multiple sclerosis?

Postby steve3 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:11 am

I've been having a dry mouth and swallowing difficulty a lot for quite a few years, had a camera up my nose twice to look, and they've never found anything. Or with any of the other tests I've been subjected to.

For me I suspect it's related to the bloating with IBS, and the discomfort that comes with that, coupled with slightly swollen glands in my neck. After a while, I think my body has gotten confused a little, a bit like trying to eat more when your stomach is full, so you get a gag reaction as it feels like things arent going to go down.

I think the feeling of swollen glands is the worst part though. I feel at times like someone has gone down the symptoms for flu or a heavy cold, and said... You can have that one symptom for a while...

It's worst for me if I'm feeling stressed or have been sitting a while, and doubly worse when driving. The stress doesnt help, as the feeling just makes me more stressed and want to dive into a minor panic attack. Over the years I've had to learn some more relaxation stuff, and stop myself having a panic. As well as some gentle massage techniques to help.

It's very easy to associate a lot of the FM symptoms with so many other conditions, and sometimes we can make ourselves worse with the what-if's far too easily. If you've got a good doctor, I'd talk it over with them rather than get stressed about it :-)

I think the short answer is it's possible though, but probably more uncommon.
SteveT :penguin:
----
Dyslexic Bipolar Aspie. Having 'Fun' trying to decipher the universe every day... and then no energy to actually do it. FMS squared.

Carpe Diem: A jewel encrusted fish!
steve3
UKFM Member

Re: multiple sclerosis?

Postby Treece » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:29 am

hi, i also have problems swallowing, its so painful sometimes that it feels like a heart attack. I had the tube up my nose and I have a nutcracker esophagus, basically it feels like i am chocking. I had not related it to FM or heard that it could be related to MS... completely in the dark here.

Treece
Treece
UKFM Member

Postby animeemo3 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:31 am

Mine is more like food just simply will not go down past a certain point in my throat, even if I am starving or full to the brim. Suspect I have ibs too, either one extreme or the other with me! :oops: that as well as the constant decline in balance and numbness in feet and arms. Dunno, could be me being a bit dippy :roll:
animeemo3
UKFM Member

Postby Pipsie » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:08 pm

I have all of these things, too. The swallowing comes and goes but it's not like it used to be. I found I frequently choke on drinks and food, like my body has forgotten how to get it in the right hole. I have swollen glands a lot of time, and sometimes I breathing is a bit of a chore. My balance is pretty shocking, too. My partner says I sway a lot, and I frequently make friends with the floor, even the times I don't fall I feel like the world's been jolted. I haven't thought of MS, my friend has it so no no no thank you, but these can also be a symptom of FM. There is something that goes with FM that is to do with swallowing, can't remember what... Maybe check it out, didn't seem anything too horrid.
Feel better!
Pipsie
UKFM Member

Postby Caffycoffdrop » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:09 pm

Hi

Sorry I have not been onto this site for a day or two so have missed this discussion. I have FMS and MS and don't have problems with swallowing on a regular basis. Sometimes I do have problems but have associated that with my hiatus hernia if I have been 'naughty' and had the wrong combination of foods and not enough water. So chances are you might not have both Fibro and MS but it would be better to get guidance from a GP or similar rather than take my word for it!!

I am struggling trying to distinguish which complaint is the fibro and which is the MS. This is quite a problem for me!! I think the symptoms that come and go over a few days are fibro based and those symptoms that hang around for a couple of weeks on the trot are MS based. I am 'pleased' to say that most of my problems are Fibro based rather than MS. At least I know that I will have my hands back in full functioning mode quickly. I havenot had full feeling on the left hand side of my body for about eight years now! Which is slightly annoying.

I hope you all get the clarifications to help you.

Gentle hugs,
Go through the path of life never being tearful;
Keep a smile upon your face, you will find that life is cheerful.

Or failing that everyone wonders what you have been up to!!
Caffycoffdrop
UKFM Newbie

Postby Iceskatemum » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:04 am

Hi I too have sometimes difficulty swallowing particularly certain food. it has almost become a family joke now about mr not being able to eat so I ends up wearing it ..usually on my clothes !

Could be wrong but have vague recollections of seeing it listed as a possible FM symptom ......as the throat muscles get tired just like the rest of us and then don't do what thier meant to !
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby millymoodoo » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:25 am

Hi

I too sometimes have problems swallowing but it is only saliva and no matter how hard i try i just cannot swallow!!! Strange about glands mine seem to be enlarged all of the time but i never really gave it a thought about it being related to fm. I feel better when i know others with fm are getting similar symptoms as i do worry about it a lot.

Millyxxx :-D
Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them get up!!! When life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!! Everyday is a gift which is why we call it the present
millymoodoo
UKFM Member

Postby difly » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:51 pm

hy yes me to have had problems with swallowing for some time can be embarassing when in company been like that for over a year
and thankfully its not every meal dr suggested could be fibro but havin tests for ms at the mo ,if its not one thing its another take care x
difly
UKFM Member

Postby tracie1968 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:39 pm

Hi, I get swallowing probs, have nearly choked on several occasions, I too thought it was ms related when I was waiting for ms tests, BUT I have also read on 100 fibro syptoms page I found on net that you can get swallowing probs with fibro?but don't kno if it's true or not,.
Acid reflux can cause it and so can post nasal drip, but also read acid reflux which I have is common in ms and fibro and if you suffer from allergies too then acid reflux is common prob.
tracie1968
UKFM Member

Postby cosyrosy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:54 am

Is there anyone else here with MS, besides caffycoffdrop. Hello caffy I have MS but I relate more to people's problems on this site.
I joined a while back, then thought dont be silly you have MS and thats it. I have looked at MS sites and even joined a couple.
So I am confused, I have tackled my neuro about maybe you got it wrong, however some of my early symptoms looking back could only be MS. ( I think).
The think is when I complain about certain things I get told by the professionals no thats not MS, but they dont tell me or want to know what is causing my other problems.
So I am going to try and take advice from sites like this to treat myself, As with MS and fibro its about DIY.
Would love to hear from any MSers with fibro so you are welcome to PM or advise on here.
How did you get the fm diagnosis when you have something similar as well.
cosyrosy
UKFM Newbie

Postby whoami » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:23 am

Hi, I have been dealing with fibro for 23 years and also have issues with swallowing and dry mouth. I belong to a few fibro forums and this seems to be very common. Most people have found that it is their medication that causes it. I have also heard that a thyroid issue can cause this. I have had my thyroid removed, thyroid cancer. I still have the problems with swallowing at times. Has your Dr suggested any reason to you?
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby chookie » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:23 am

I have just had tablets getting stuck half way down, on quite a few occasions which never happened before. I could swallow them dry... big horse tranq sized ones too! The muscles in the trachea are very strong but FM has it's way sometimes and makes them weaker.

Bread is the hardest for me to swallow, unless it comes with a drink and them I am fine. Try and chew slowly when eating and try not to engage in too much conversation, it takes your concentration away and foods tend to get trapped. Stress can makes matters worse as can long term steroid inhaler use for asthmatics, my mother has problems swallowing as her trachea is damaged.

I take a digestive enzyme tablet from Holland and Barratt for breaking down my food so that I don't get the reflux, it's not acidic, thank goodness. I also have strawberry flavoured probiotic tablets too and they help with digestion on an epic scale :-D
Fibromyalgia, M.E, IBS, General Anxiety Disorder, Dyspraxia, Discalculia
chookie
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia