Need some advice please ...

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Need some advice please ...

Postby jess0465093 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:59 pm

Hi,

Im not sure if this is the best part to put this in - but I really need some advice.

Me and my husband are thinking about trying for a baby at some point.

I just wanted advice from people who have gone through trying to conceive, pregnancy etc.

For example, what medication can you take?

Im on 40mg of amitriptyline, 1000 mg of Naproxen and 240mg of codeine a day and I know I wouldn't be able 2 take this much .... but can I take any of it?

I'm so scared but this is something we both really want. I was forced to resign from my job due to my health (got osteo arthritis in both knees and need surgery) and I am scared about affording a child .... but then I am worried that if we keep putting it off that it just wont happen. We are both approaching 30, and Im worried if we wait a few years the chances of conceiving get harder and harder.

I would really appreciate advice, and to hear your experiences!

Thanks! xxx
jess0465093
UKFM Newbie

Re: Need some advice please ...

Postby *Lisa* » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:15 pm

I would have a chat with your GP or nurse from the surgery about what medications you can and cannot have.

Also the nurse maybe able to talk to you about antinatal care for people with chronic illnesses and how the pregnancy / birth may effect you and how they can help with this also any after care if need be.

Financialy i would make a list of what i would need for a baby and the cost of having a child each week to see if i was able to afford it all.

I would see if i had any family that would help me through the week with my child as theres alot of picking up/bending/lifting and pushing buggies and more that may effect your pain levels

:goodluck1:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby walkingmadmurphy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:55 pm

Don't worry about the cost, it's something most of us worry about but once you have one you manage. It's the scariest and best thing in the world being a parent but nothing beats a smile from your little one to help you through the day!
walkingmadmurphy
UKFM Newbie

Postby shazq » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:39 pm

I had my children before fibro but we have had lots of topics up about fibros wanting to conceive so i am sure someone will be along to give you advice. :goodluck1:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Debz7172 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:01 pm

Hi, I totalley sympathise with you. I had my first child at 22 and second at 24, I am now 41. I went through the menopause when I was 32 so was fortunate to already had my boys!! I was diagnosed with arthritis at 16 and it all but went whilst I was pregnant! Apparantly the hormones you produce whilst pregnant relax all muscles and ligaments to reduce the strain your body, my doctor explained this afterwards. I've now got FM as we'll. Make an appointment with your doc re the meds, you may be surprised as what you can carry on taking whilst pregnant. I would say the same re the financial side of things, no one would have children if they waited till they could afford one, kids don't really need much there are great places around where you can get things at an affordable price. The most important thing is to make sure you have a good supportive doctor and support network around you and you must never be afraid to ask people for help.

I really hope it works out for you and you are going about this the right way asking for advice etc before you get pregnant, so all credit to you for that.

Good luck.
Debz7172
UKFM Member

Postby jess0465093 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:24 pm

Thanks so much for all your help and advice! Its really nice to see that a lot of you didn't have too many bad flares/symptoms when you were pregnant.

I am more worried about the medication side, I dont sleep well and that is my main fear! I used to get about 2 hours sleep a night and the medication helps me get some sleep now.

I am just preparing now really, Im gonna prob have surgery on my knees so wont do anything until that has been done - but I hope that will be in the next few months. So hopefully we can start trying in the summer!

Im going to go and see my GP to get some advice from them about medication etc.

Thanks for all your help - the finance bit is the most scary, and I have no idea about the benefits etc your entitled too!
jess0465093
UKFM Newbie

Postby Iceskatemum » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:08 pm

Good luck with the surgery and your long term plans ......babies are truly a blessing and I hope things work out for you . :-D Don't worry too much about the finances there are many ways to save on the often ludicrous amounts some people spend. Providing a baby is fed, kept comfortable and loved thats all it really needs .
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby LouLou » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:42 am

Hi Jess

I can't offer any advice as I haven't had lickle ones yet I just wanted to let you know that I am in the same place you are at the mo. Me and OH are getting married in August and have wanted a baby for the last year now.

Debz7172 wrote:Apparantly the hormones you produce whilst pregnant relax all muscles and ligaments to reduce the strain your body, my doctor explained this afterwards.
We both have the same fears you have, OH is especially worried of how being pregnant will affect my pain as meds will be limited.

Wow Debz really? That's amazing that really puts my mind at ease. But my desire to have a family is so strong as is my OH's that we have already decided we will deal with whatever comes along with it.

As for affording it, Jess we are in the same boat. We both work but aren't on good wages or anything, we just about cope but do have a lot of help of my parents (in laws haven't ever done anything to help us but don't get me started lol) My mum always says to me that you can never really afford a baby but it's suprising how you adjust and cope when you do have one. As ISM says too there are so many bargains out there these days and cheapie shops where the stuff is just as good as somewhere more expensive.

There's a few posts on here from women who had had babies with FM so hopefully they will help too. I've had a bit of a read of them and they have helped me out loads,

Just wanted to let you know you weren't alone. Good Luck, keep us informed of how you get on.

Lou
xxxx
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia