Anyone ever get this, scary !

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Anyone ever get this, scary !

Postby blueeyes64 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:58 pm

Yesterday I started to get tired around 3ish, not unusual and I know a lot of non fibro folk get tired at that time of the day as well.I decided to ish n and get some jobs done and ignore it !
Then I picked my daughter up from work and took both dogs out for a walk, even though I didn't feel like it :(
On the way back I was so sluggish and very step felt like a step too far.
I got home, mad a quick sandwich and then sat down.All of a sudden it felt like someone had sucked the energy from me in one fell swoop, my hands felt shaky but didn't look like they were.

I lay down and my whole body felt like I was magnetised to the sofa, I literally felt like I couldn't lift a finger, but it came on so quickly.
Even though I was so tired I struggled to keep my eyes closed and I felt jittery.A bit like when you have a high temp, but I didn't have.
I tried to keep my eyes open and they kept rolling into the back of my head and I was finding focusing on the TV really difficult too.
I could even feel myself dribbling ! but failed to raise my hand to wipe it away.
Hubby shouted at me because he said I looked weird and it took a lot of effort for me to finally speak and say what, albeit in a half asleep voice.

The weird feeling subsided and then I just felt tired and so I lay there for a further hour or so, but could now move my arms and legs even though they still felt heavier than normal.
Gradually the tiredness lifted even tough I didn't go to sleep, and the I felt ok again.

This has happened before.Is it just because I didn't listen to my body and let it rest in the first instance ?
Has anyone else had similar happenings ?
blueeyes64
UKFM Member

Re: Anyone ever get this, scary !

Postby catichat » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:17 pm

All I can say is, Welcome to ME/CFS!
I have been suffering with Fibro and ME for years, and what you have described is a classic "bad patch".
You HAVE TO, MUST, NO CHOICE, but to slow down, listen to your body.
ME sufferes do NOT have a "second wind", no matter how hard u push yourself, u will suffer all the more for it.
When your body says its had enough, then trust me, it has!
Sit down, pace yourself. Take things slower. If you do this, the chances are you will still get done what u need to get done without causing too much damage. If you ignore it, you will suffer for it.
I ignored it - Im now practically housebound, in permanent pain and reliant on my family for my care.
Please listen to your body.
I hope u "feel better" soon.
Take care. x
catichat
UKFM Newbie

Postby helen w » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:24 pm

Hi, yes I get the same. I have learnt over time to listen to my body and make sure I rest at some point in the day. When I don't I suffer the consequenses which is sometimes scary. I HAVE to lie down as my body gives up on me. I am then out of it for hours then a flare follows. When I first started having these 'dos' the dr thought it was all signs of MS and refered me to a neurologist, who after watching me walk or should I say shuffle, and tested my reflexes said it was not MS. I was so relieved.
So most times I listen to my body as I hate the alternative.
Hope this has helped you
Hugs
Helen
helen w
UKFM Member

Postby babajane32 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:29 pm

On a really good day I don't get this,but most days it happens several times, very disconcerting as I am diabetic too...hubby panics in car it's a hypo,but sugars are at normal levels....it can last for hours even days. Doc says it is the fibro, it started just now and again some years ago, unfortunately now it can happen any time and any where...
babajane32
UKFM Member

Postby Panda58 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:32 pm

That happened to me a few weeks ago I was out shopping and all of a sudden I needed to get home before I passed out ,finally got home and went to bed and slept for 2 hours got up and fetched husband from work ,but still did not feel right went to bed when I got home and then slept for 2 days . Felt ok after that and hasn't had an episode like that since .
Panda58
UKFM Member

Postby Meg_Burdus » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:49 pm

You have just described me when I 'FLOP'
It's like someone flicks a switch and every scrap of energy is zapped from your body.
It's good to know that I'm not the only one this happens to and that this seems 'normal' for Fm/CFS/ME suffers but frustrating that it does and I send my love and understanding to all that this happens to.
Meg
xx
Meg_Burdus
UKFM Member

Postby Jessica22mummy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:56 pm

Hi huni, i suffer from fibro and poss arthritis. I get what you have described all the time,
but im going to have to agree you do need to take things easy.
Over doing yourself will only make you feel more exhausted more often.
Have you maybe tried Ti chi it really helps to relax and focus.
I myself have just set up as a support worker especially for those with
"invisible illnesses"
i hope you can find some balance and peace hun
gentle hugs
From Jessica xx
Jessica22mummy
UKFM Member

Postby blueeyes64 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:12 pm

Forgot to say that i felt my head roll back and i was staring at the top of the wall opposite for several seconds and then my eyes started flickering like mad.I was aware of what was happening in an 'out of it' sort of way, and I even noticed hubby looking uo where I was, obviously looking to see what I was seeing !
But at the same time I was unable to stop myself, if that makes sense ?
I heard his voice getting louder shouting my name and then I came out of it and answered him.

I had the same thing happen when I was in A & E with my knee a couple of years ago, it was bursitis and turned out to be infected.While I was lying on the gurney the exact same feeling came over me as described above.I could hear people's voices but couldn't respond for a few seconds.You don't think its some type of seizure do you ?
I was looking for some answers and you can have seizures brought on by tiredness that sound a lot like what happened.

Just wanted to add that I feel perfectly fine today and full of energy, no sign of a fibro flare at all.
blueeyes64
UKFM Member

Postby val1705 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:45 pm

reading all this i wish to thank you as i only got properly diagnosed toward the end of last year but suffered from fibro for many years. Reading about this form of tiredness i no what your saying i have been feeling like that since wed after helping my mother to decorate my brothers flat over doing things should not be done but when i go to bed on an night is like as if im fastened to the bed and cant move and after sleeping or should i say unconcious for around 13 hours i wake up in the same position hopefully this will pass in a couple of days as i feel totally out of it with tiredness :crazy: :sleep: gentle hugs to everyone there is times i feel as if its the end but reading things forum really helps to no that im not alone so thank you everyone xx
val1705
UKFM Newbie

Postby SuperCat007 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:47 pm

I have to say that your symptoms sound like you, and the others who have posted have suffered from hypoglycemia. It's very common I get it a lot, I always try to make sure I have a chocolate bar or those 'Dextrose' tablets with me so if I feel like that I can give my sugar levels a boost. I think it is also more common among those with M.E/CFS/Fibro I even believe that people with M.S and RA become more prone to it. Google it and I reckon you'll find that your symptoms will pretty much match.

You did a lot when already feeling tired, this could possibly have been your body telling you to refuel rather than fibro symptoms. That is usually why 'normal' people feel tired around then because it is about 2 hours since they had lunch and the body needs more sustenance to sustain the effort. It feels like you deteriorated quickly, but reading your post the signs were there for a while before you noticed and your body couldn't sustain you any longer. Usually if I feel tired suddenly I'll have something to eat and then see how I feel in the next half an hour before I decide whether it is hunger or fibro.

I hope this makes sense, and I hope if it is your problem it may help you prevent it in the future.
SuperCat007
UKFM Member

Postby jennthefunkyranger » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:02 pm

I'm glad you've mentioned that Hypoglycaemia is common with fibro, I occasionally used to get something which seemed to fit the symptoms of a hypo but it only happened occasionally, but in the last year or so it's been more often. I try and ensure I have a mars bar or similar in my bag all the time, but I seem to keep eating them! It's so scary when it happens, I seem to crave chocolate nesquick, biscuits and dried dates...
jennthefunkyranger
UKFM Member

Postby Panda58 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:29 pm

My husband asked me the other day if I had been tested for diabetis and I said yes but it was normal but I get as if my blood sugar is low. And it has happened more since I have been diagnosed with fibro x
Panda58
UKFM Member

Postby blueeyes64 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:22 am

I thought of hypoglaecimia but the symptoms didn't seem to fit exactly.I didn't get any palpitations and my hands weren't actually trembling, they just felt as if they were, in fact my whole body felt jittery.
My husband has diabetes and when he gets like that his eyes feel gritty and his vision starts to go, and he feels dizzy.
I just felt almost paralysed, a bit like sleep paralysis which I have experienced twice, but different, and just my head jerked back.
My husband thought I was having a stroke !
Before it started I got that twitching sensation in my eyes, the thing you get when you are tired.Today I have had a couple of eye twitches but nothing else.

Maybe I will mention it to the GP when I next see her.
Something that I have always done is to often stare off into the distance and it happens for a few seconds up to about 30 seconds at a time and I usually have my mouth open while doing it I realise after ! I don't always notice if people speak to me when I do this.I seem to be able to focus on anything, even a blank wall.It was good during childbirth for the pain.
I just always put it down to day dreaming as I am often deep in thought.
blueeyes64
UKFM Member

Postby binty » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:30 am

New to this...... I get this symptom of began glued to the sofa, bed. Heavy, unable to lift a finger. I can't explain how it feels to my family, I just say I can't move a muscle. It comes with an overwhelming tiredness and no matter what I do I can't stop falling asleep. Bit scary when your supposed to be looking after the kids. It happens even on days when I haven't pushed myself. I have learnt to listen to my body so try not to overdo it although there are days when I become so stubborn that I practically kill myself. I thought the tiredness and weightiness might be a side effect of medication (apart from the obvious lack of sleep due to pain).
binty
UKFM Member

Postby painprincess1 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:04 pm

the other day it happened to me in the middle of cooking. my legs just felt like they would crumple under me and i was shaking inside.it was horrid but all part of fibro for me.not alot u cant do apart from rest . and i no it feels rough even resting as your waiting for it to pass .
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia