Rest or sleep???

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Rest or sleep???

Postby Caffycoffdrop » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:09 pm

Hi

Please could I have your feedback?

I feel soooo tired today... which is unusual for me. I am lucky in the sense that although I was dxd about 13 years ago, apart from when I know that I have overdone things, I don't usually feel this tired. I thought that I was in control of my 'condition'. I have been away for a couple of days and have fallen into a bad sleep pattern. Last night I couldn't sleep so spent time downstairs, so that I wouldn't disturb my OH(!!!), reading and 'admiring' the wallpaper!! Which hasn't helped my sleep pattern!

Today I have just pottered around doing very little.

Do you think it is better to go to bed dosed up with sleeping tablets; sit in the chair cat-napping; or try to stay awake for as long as possible and then go to bed as close as possible to my normal 'bed-time' in the hope that I will fall asleep and eventually find my normal sleep pattern?

(This has taken me a long time to post as I am an ex-proof reader and I wanted to make sure that I was grammatically correct etc etc!! Sorry if I have missed anything!!)

I hope everyone else is more compess mentuss than me today (and I think that spelling is wrong but I want to post this before everyone falls asleep!!!!)

Gentle hugs all around

Caffy x
Go through the path of life never being tearful;
Keep a smile upon your face, you will find that life is cheerful.

Or failing that everyone wonders what you have been up to!!
Caffycoffdrop
UKFM Newbie

Re: Rest or sleep???

Postby Meg_Burdus » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:41 pm

I find that I don't really get any rest from sleep - if that makes sense. I tend to wake up feeling like i've done a hard days work. The only difference is that my eyes aren't burning and my neck is able to hold my head up.
If I have what I wouold call a busy day it tends wo wipe me out for 2 or 3 days so I need to make sure that I don't have consecutive 'busy' days or I'm out of action for a week.
I sleep on the couch now and fall asleep in front of the tv. If I go to bed I'll read a bit then wake up, read a bit more then wake up again; plus when I sleep in my bed I wake up feeling like |I have been run over by a stem roller. When I sleep on the couch my back is supported and I am lying in the 'delve' of the couch- very comfy. I sleep for longer and feel better when I wake up than when I sleep in my bed.
I still haven't managed to find a happy medium between activity and rest/sleep, apart from trying to pace myself, which generally means that I don't get much done. :(
Sending you love, understanding and a sharing of your frustrations.
|All the best,
Meg
xx :sleep:
Meg_Burdus
UKFM Member

Postby clubsound4 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:45 pm

Hi, I findnow that everyday is different with me,I do try and stick to some sort of routine and to live a normal a life as is possible,I was told by my GP,who has MS,to do as little or as much as I feel I can do but on good days to pace myself and not go like a bull at a gate,,I was making the big mistake of really overdoing things on my better days.. :-)
clubsound4
UKFM Member

Postby masonsbarms » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:45 pm

hi, i dont know what the best answer is but i have a routine even though i go to bed at diffrent times depending on work, normaly early as i get up at 4am, but sometimes i have to go back to work to do a function,

but i do the same thing at bed time even if iv had a dose during the day,

no caffien after 6pm, warm bath comfy jim jams, warm bed, soft light, meds, snack have a read and then wham im sleepy,

i dont have what i call sleeping pills but do take amatriptalinen and tramadol, i try not to get to stimulated before bed and we dont have a tv in the room,

i do believe that you can get into a sleep routine like a baby but it can take a while to get back into it,

i hope you get back to a good sleep soon.

and sorry im never good at spelling or grammer.

take care xx
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Postby Caffycoffdrop » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:40 pm

Thank you for your replies.

I think I will see how long I can last for, have another glass of wine (I am lucky in that I don't have any reaction to alcohol in moderation), then go to bed when I sense my eyelids drooping in the hope that I can re-establish my normal routine.

I will probably lay off the sleeping meds tonight if I am drinking wine!!!

Don't worry Masonsbarms, I am not critical of other people's grammar or spelling, only my own!! I am my biggest critic!!

I hope everyone on here gets a good night's sleep.

Gentle hugs all round
Caffy x
Go through the path of life never being tearful;
Keep a smile upon your face, you will find that life is cheerful.

Or failing that everyone wonders what you have been up to!!
Caffycoffdrop
UKFM Newbie

Postby charley » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:33 pm

Try staying up until your usual bed time.
One thing that should help with getting your sleeping pattern back in check is make sure you wake up at the same time every morning, and then start winding down and getting ready for bed at the same time every night. Even doing this just for a little while can help :)
charley
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:03 am

This was something covered during a recent session I had for CFS. The general consensus was that it is more helpful to try and get back into your usual bedtime/sleep routine as soon as you can, as the longer it is left, the more difficult it can be to re~establish it.

If you can't manage until your usual bedtime, try to last as long as you can, and as has already been suggested, get up at your usual time in the morning, and keep going like that each night until you are back to the timings you normally work on.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby monica » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:28 pm

I think it's best to try and keep in a regular sleep pattern and not cat nap during the day. If I do fall asleep during the day I feel awful afterwards. But that's just me...catnaps might help others. We all seem to be so different with this horrid condition.
monica
UKFM Member

Postby LouLou » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:05 pm

Hi caffy

I personally have found that I can handle and manage the fatigue side of FM much better since I set myself a routine to stick to each night like masonsbarms.

I still get times where I wake up and feel like I haven't been slept, and sometimes the fatigue will just suddenly take over me but overall by following a routine each night my body has started to recognise that when I do certain things that it is time for bed.

I do get days where no matter how much I sleep in the night I just can't stay awake in the day but then it's a case of listening to your body and doing what it needs to recover.

Like has been said I also agree that we can teach our bodies a routine like babies, it took a while for me to get mine up and going but I do feel better for it now. I also think that trying to do things naturally first is much better for the body. No offence to anyone who does take sleeping aids etc I know we are all so different with FM and different things work for different people, and sometimes tablets are needed. It's just a personal choice with me.

I use lots of lavender products in the bath and bedroom to help keep me calm and relaxed, no caffiene after 6pm, keep warm in the winter, don't get too stimulated close to bedtime by watching tv or doing something that makes you concentrate, and try sticking to the same bedtime each day.

I hope you manage to find something that works for you Caffy, as the fatigue on it's own can be quite debilitating.

Good Luck.
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia