I know we know what fibro is but how to explain....

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

I know we know what fibro is but how to explain....

Postby Mumihippo » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:28 pm

I know we all know what it is but can someone come up with a really simple, in laymans terms, way of telling other people. Especially about the fatigue. I just can't seem to explain just how debilitating it is.
Is there anyone good with words?
Mumihippo
UKFM Member

Re: I know we know what fibro is but how to explain....

Postby fruity72 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:42 pm

I totally understand this question as this is something I struggle with too
fruity72
UKFM Member

Postby sheila300 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:04 pm

I also know what you mean. To me it feels like I've permanently got the flu, with all the aches and fatigue.
sheila300
UKFM Member

Postby ElvisPresley » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:20 pm

I explained it to a medical student once by saying that my body behaved as though I was about 100+ years old, but am only 50. He seemed to understand what I meant. The other explanation I give is that it's as though I have all the symptoms of flu, but without actually having the flu. Don't know whether this gives people any real idea, I don't think anyone understands really unless they've actually experienced it!
ElvisPresley
UKFM Member

Postby kazza65 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:51 pm

So true Elvis....... Unless you have it you don't know what is like and it is hard to explain..... Apart from your knackered all the time....
Live life to the full as you don't know when it will end xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
kazza65
UKFM Member

Postby difly » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:51 am

well done kazza "knackered all the time " sums it up , i think i would describe it as being limp and weak ??? not sure what im saying but it is hard to describe but you sure know when you feel fatiqued xx
difly
UKFM Member

Postby monica » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:24 am

I've never been able to explain it to others very well, most people look at me and think I'm potty! I'll try saying knackered and in pain all the time, maybe that will work!
monica
UKFM Member

Postby painprincess1 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:31 pm

its like being a zombie in a movie ,
hard to move hard to talk
hard to walk.
in fact im having a very zombie kinda day , :yikes:
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby coz1 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:54 pm

:roll: Sometimes its just easy to say"ive got that man flu" :nono: :lol: they just look at me in a funny way :yikes:
coz1
UKFM Member

Postby LouLou » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:40 pm

Hi Mumihippo

I also struggle to explain things to others. Although I have a great support network of family around me, I know they will never 100% fully understand what I am going through.

My OH came home from playing football the other week and he just floppe don the sofa moaning that his whole body ached and was done in from pushign himself during the game. I told him to imagine feeling like that all day every day and that was how I felt and he was so shocked. I don't know what he thought I felt exactly as he knew I was in pain a lot but to be feeling something similar himself really hit home for him.

Since then whenever he has a few aches and pains he always says he won't moan about them as he know they will ease in a few days where as mine wont lol.

One of our members called Flaw posted a really useful link on the general Topics thread called "Really useful sheets from GP" which give a really good overview of FM and what we go through - it's worth a look as it may help explain things to others.
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby monica » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:00 pm

One of our members called Flaw posted a really useful link on the general Topics thread called "Really useful sheets from GP" which give a really good overview of FM and what we go through - it's worth a look as it may help explain things to others.

I'd missed that, thanks LouLou... and Flaw for posting it

http://www.highviewsurgery.co.uk/practices/highview/MyFibromyalgia.pdf
monica
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia